Ace Bungon Plat Bolts - Finding them very difficult on PS Vita Port

Just wondering...

Is anyone else playing Ratchet & Clank 2 on PS Vita finding the the three Ace Bungon Plat Bolts races were you need to get in every ring difficult.  

On the PS2 and PS3 I got these easily enough after a few tries but finding it very frustrating on the PS Vita port.  The controls are very sensitive and I keep missing some on the turns.

Had a few rage quits already :-)

Any good tips out there please ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

My advice is to focus on the green reticle, not the ship: aim the reticle at the center of each ring and you'll be sure to get them.

Don't make too wide movements, as it's rather slow to place the reticle and very easy to miss a ring.

So, concentrate on the ring you're aiming and on how you'll place the reticle for the next ring. Bump softly the joystick to correct the path of the reticle.

To get rid of Ace Bungon, use the boost at the very beginning of the race: the rings are usually in a straignt path and you'll overtake Ace easily. Keep the gap between you and him by short and repetitive press of the boost button when you feel you can do it. Anyway, once you've overtaken Ace, he'll not be a danger anymone.

To sum up: be calm, be concentrated on the next 2 rings, constantly correct the green reticle path, overtake Ace at the beginning.

Edited by NekoSlash
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Winning these three races made the "Platinum Power" trophy by far the most difficult trophy I've ever earned. The fact that it has a 21% earned rate means either a) R&C fans are tenacious trophy hunters, or B) I can't fly spaceships.

Do what you can to minimize going up or down, which starts an oscillating effect that becomes very hard to correct. The up-down motion is suppressed in the third race, which is why it's so easy. Pull the joystick hard left or hard right, to prevent accidentally pulling it back.

pogo_loco.png

• 5 months later...

Winning these three races made the "Platinum Power" trophy by far the most difficult trophy I've ever earned. The fact that it has a 21% earned rate means either a) R&C fans are tenacious trophy hunters, or B) I can't fly spaceships.

Do what you can to minimize going up or down, which starts an oscillating effect that becomes very hard to correct. The up-down motion is suppressed in the third race, which is why it's so easy. Pull the joystick hard left or hard right, to prevent accidentally pulling it back.

So, i am one of the "tenacious trophy hunting R&C fan", i guess :D

I don't have the trophy yet, but i finished the races yesterday. Only the last Platin is missing, but that one is easy.

You just have to re-play this race over and over, till you memorize where these damn rings spawn.

And learning where you are able to boost (ace can be annoying in the first race) helps too.

Once you get the first race the last two are a piece of a cake :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Gentlemen.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Thank you.

As you were.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I only found the second one to be problematic, though the last one has some wonky hit detection on one of the floating... buildings(?) that's close to a ring so I'd hit it and blow up when visually there is no connection at all.

And the second one was only a problem due to the quick succession of a lot of them. The first one was pretty easy for me. That's not to say I was not wanting to scream during it, but I had similar issues on PS3... which is why I blacked it out entirely from memory.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Going for plat on this and these races have to be the most frustrating thing i have come across on vita so far.

definitely going to be leaving these to the very last thing i have to do!

Thanks for all the tips and advice from everyone :D

• 1 month later...

I'm becoming a psychopath thanks to the second challenge. God I hate whoever made this port. I've also tried to run it on PS TV (I have a CFW on it and I can run black listed games like this one) but it's still no use. Ship's controls have been recalibrated for PS Vita, so if you use a joypad the result is the same.

Btw does anybody know if changing your ship's wings to Slim Cognito changes how you fly?

7 hours ago, NaRayquaza said:

I'm becoming a psychopath thanks to the second challenge. God I hate whoever made this port. I've also tried to run it on PS TV (I have a CFW on it and I can run black listed games like this one) but it's still no use. Ship's controls have been recalibrated for PS Vita, so if you use a joypad the result is the same.

Btw does anybody know if changing your ship's wings to Slim Cognito changes how you fly?

Pretty sure the wings are purely cosmetic.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

First one took me two tries, second one took me four tries, haven't done the third one yet so idk. Sure, the controls are hyper sensitive, which is a pain because you do have to be precise, but it's not anywhere as hard as some of you make it out to be imo. Even though I've played the PS2 and PS3 version of the game to death, I don't think that experience helps because the controls are so much harder to master on Vita.

NekoSlash made a great point, it's best to focus on the green reticle instead of the ship. Aim where you want to go, ignore the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

This is exactly what staggered my platting of this game before my saved data got deleted! 

This is my favourite game of all time and I’m desperate to plat it on Vita but these races are near on killing me off. 

I bought thumb grips for the analog in hope of steadying my sweaty thumbs but sadly, they are still a nightmare! 

Damn you over-sensitve Vita analogs! 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 20/10/2015 at 9:31 PM, NekoSlash said:

My advice is to focus on the green reticle, not the ship: aim the reticle at the center of each ring and you'll be sure to get them.

Don't make too wide movements, as it's rather slow to place the reticle and very easy to miss a ring.

So, concentrate on the ring you're aiming and on how you'll place the reticle for the next ring. Bump softly the joystick to correct the path of the reticle.

To get rid of Ace Bungon, use the boost at the very beginning of the race: the rings are usually in a straignt path and you'll overtake Ace easily. Keep the gap between you and him by short and repetitive press of the boost button when you feel you can do it. Anyway, once you've overtaken Ace, he'll not be a danger anymone.

To sum up: be calm, be concentrated on the next 2 rings, constantly correct the green reticle path, overtake Ace at the beginning.

This ^

Solid advice.  Unilt I focused solely on the green marker I was getting nowhere.  I got the second one done earlier, still took over a fucking hour!  But its done.  One more to go....

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Would you guys recommend buying any of the ship upgrades for these races?

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/30-ratchet-clank-2-trophy-guide#13-nice-ride

edit.  All done now.

There are no upgrades that help with these races. You can ignore nose/wings upgrades, those are purely cosmetic.

Edited by HusKy

• 3 months later...

Something I read in a YouTube comment that hasn't been mentioned here is pressing R2 to re-center the ship. I've read to hold it down permanently but I don't think that would work; you'd need to tap it every so often to get it to work. This works amazingly well in the 2nd race as it looks like some rings go in a crazy direction but after getting back to the center the path is fairly straight forward. It's amazing how much a change of perspective helps things. If the rings start to get fuzzy just crash and then everything will reset. Had the reticule disappear on me once before the rings got fuzzy. The ship also feels like it speeds up at some points, may be an optical illusion of flying downward but sometimes I'd just lose control and find it hard to get back on track. Seen this mentioned on other forums as well so it may be an actual thing. I wanted to rush to Feltzin to do the ship mission before I got a trophy to see if I could do it. If I could do one then I could do the rest. Despite not knowing about these races I don't remember having much trouble on the PS3 version when I did them for the first time; I don't remember struggling. So I thought that they can't be THAT bad. 

Something else important to note is just practise of the course itself. I know we'd all like to go for the no ring miss run first try but just doing the course can help. I did a run through of the Feltzin System first and only missed 4. The pressure of not missing a ring will inevitably make us worry more. People may also find this the hardest race because it's the first one where we really have to learn how to use the ship. I found a couple of the turns near the end of the space station to be where I crashed because the camera wasn't centred and flying inside the asteroids I could see giving people trouble. You can't invert the controls but I played these games as a kid so I got used to the up is down thing; it makes sense for flying anyway. Don't even remember an option to change it on the PS3 like people say. Each race is basically only 90 seconds in all so it's not too bad.

Hrugis Cloud I found easier than Feltzin System despite probably being there longer. It was just my mistakes of centering the camera while I was moving or being nervous to move the stick too much. The rings that go in a left or right formation are easier and smoother to get to because up and down are much more sensitive. Just take care when going for the ones that are diagonal. 

Gorn is most definitely the easiest. I did the race once, missed one ring in the process and then did it perfectly the next time. There is a sneaky ring at the start that is just below the starting one that will probably catch you off guard! Just be careful of the rings near the flying objects because they can cause people to get hit by invisible walls but other times just scrape it and be fine. The rings are fairly spread out and a couple may be in weird to go places but keep your eyes peeled. I actually found that fun.

I did all three races with an unupgraded ship as well; so just do the tap square to boost thing like others mentioned. You may be able to control a boosted ship on the PS3 version but I doubt you'd be able to control the ship boosted for long on the Vita besides the opening of the race. The glider is too stiff, the ship is too loose and the hoverbike is perfect. What a weird port!

Edited by Lianco
more info about speeding up ship