My thoughts on DA: Inquisition....so far.

kittygirl2010

(Just as a warning, there are some spoilers in here. Kind of... so if you haven't played at least past the first major map, or at all there could be spoilers ahead. You have been warned!)

As a huge Dragon Age fan, I came into this game with very high expectations. When I got my copy yesterday, I nearly squealed to death and laughed as my grandmother, mother and sister looked at me like I was bat shit crazy!

My thoughts on how the game will look were quickly answered once I saw the menu alone. It was when I finally got into the prologue area.....that my jaw hit the floor. (Character creation was really good too. Though the eyebrows are weird to me. :/) The lighting, shadowing and environment in general had me staring for a few minutes at every detail I could find.

Combat feels like a good combination between one and two. Strategic like one and fast paced hack and smack like two. I was even giggling over how you can actually jump and climb up ladders. I asked myself, "Is this even Dragon Age?" simply because of how different some things were.

The loot finder is a great touch and from the very beginning my RPG OCD kicked in as I began looking ALL over the place for loot and goodies.

From the characters I've met, or have been reunited with so far, I find them all enjoyable.

When I find myself in the Hinterlands, the first area you go to after forming the inquisition, I found myself both confused and excited as I looked at the map. (Large, open world maps were pretty unheard of up until this sequel.)

Let's not forget the new mount system! Loving that so far!

I only have a few problems with the game so far, well one huge thing and few minor ones.

I guess I'll cut to the chase and reveal my biggest problem with the game so far.(I'm probably gonna get some hate but this is my opinion.)

Where is the healing?! I mean, I haven't had that much of a problem in fights yet but on a few occasions, not bosses, I found myself getting my ass kicked and no potions to use most of the time. Now, don't get me wrong, I always love a good challenge. But in a game series where I expect there to be healing, it kind of threw me off a bit. I know there are camps to replenish your "supplies" but when you are only carrying around eight potions for ALL characters, they can go away very quickly. It may also be the fact that I have played SO many RPGs in my gaming years that I just kind of expect there to be healing.

Also, I have never really been a strategy game player so I am really thrown off by this. Keep in mind, I'm still getting use to the combat and the new strategy camera. 

The only other problem I have with this game so far is that often I found myself kinda lost. I am the type of person where I want to complete all sidequests in an area before I move on to my next campaign. So when I end up doing a quest whose enemies were a lot stronger, I often wondered if the next campaign mission would be just a difficult.

But, anyway, I still have a LONG way to go in this game and I'm sure that I'll get use to the combat eventually but so far I give this game an 8/10! Way to go Bioware!!!!

You guys are welcome to give your opinions below. Feel free to agree or disagree with anything I've mentioned, just....don't be a dick. lol

• Like 1

Having never played a DA game before, I began to play this one yesterday was amazed at how good the graphics are on PS3. The combat system seems very well put together, and I absolutely love the strategy system, but am still getting used to it. I can tell this will be a good game :)

The game is pretty awesome and I feel Bioware did a really good job with the game but I know what your saying about the healing spells kittygirl2010, it sucks to have to use potions all the time, would of been nice if they threw some healing spells into the mix, but other then that, that's my only complain about the game. 9.5/10 from me. B)

• 3 weeks later...

Is alright is better than 2 but not as good as the first, got about 14 hours down and hardly progressed because I enjoy doing the side stuff and exploring, the character creator is complete shit however.

I had to look around the internet and find someones character sliders just so my inquisitor didn't look like a monster,

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I just got my platinum. Enjoyed this game so much I'll likely go out and get a PS4 tomorrow just to experience it all again (well, I have been stalling in getting one, this is just the nudge I needed.)

I know what you mean, the lack of healing took some use to (especially on nightmare mode.) However, it did force me to play smarter, rather than bulldoze my way through. Esentially know what fights you can win and what fights you can't. If an area is too hard or an enemy to tough, run away and come back once you've levelled up a bit and have better gear. Also, tonics are your friends.

I only have few minor peeves towards this game: 

1. The grachical glitches that happen from time to time (nothing game breaking, just annoying.)
  2. It would have been nice if your character could have more than one set of casual clothes. 
  3. I found the mounts mostly pointless since you can just fast travel between camps (except for the Hissing wastes, which is just needlessly massive.) 
  4. The tactical camera: I found little use for it, aside from pausing and scouting the battlefield. From a tactical point of view it is similar to "scan enemy" spell/ability in other RPGs, But in terms of issuing orders its just cumbersome.
  5. While I liked all the cameos of DAO & DA2 characters, where are the rest? I know they are referenced in codex entries and indirectly appear  in some war table missions, but that's not enough. Anders & Sebastian would have fitted in nicely in the Templar/Mage story arch. Velanna would have fit into the Elven story arch.
  6. I don't like Cole! He's creepy and very,very bland.
Well, those are my gripes, otherwise I love the game. Dragon Age Keep is also a great tool for world customization. I hope other games in the future start doing this too.

I think it's a great game, just very unpolished. I feel like they settled with the flaws way to easily. Most things beside the obvious bugs and freezes are things that I'm sure someone noticed during the testing stage and should have been thought through better before releasing it.

• Jumping and interaction on the same button? That's just silly. Trying to jump over a ledge only to kneel down to pick up a herb. Trying to jump dodge a dragon's fire ball? Whoops there was some ore sitting right there... They might aswell leave the jumping out like the other DA's.
  • The silly controls on slopes. Some shards require to climb up some mountain sides and the controls just suck for it. You can slide of slight slopes and then run up no problem on a steep slope. Sometimes you just can't jump at all. In some of the small towers with winding stairs my character thought the stairs were a slope and started using the slope walking animation, and walked slowly up the stairs getting stuck at some steps.
  • Archways are too low to go through mounted. (i.e. in Emprise du Lion near the large bridge). You just get stuck, even though graphically you should be able to go under them.
  • Dragon's are balanced strangely (played on nightmare). Just fighting them takes forever with their huge health pools, but if you know a certain combo of abilities you can pretty much one shot them.

All just very silly things that should have been polished before release to make it the master piece it deserved to be. And ofcourse most of the bugs aren't realy that obscure either. Just bad testing and optimising.

• Like 1

My thoughts: (PS4 Version)

- Great character models/so-so environments

- Combat lacks excitement of DA2 (if you want to call it that) and the tactical aspect of DA1 (the tactical options have been trimmed down in 3 and the AI isn't too bright), and it seems a bit too simplistic at times, even on the harder difficulties

- So many MMO fetch type quests, really cheapens the environments and takes up a lot of your time with collectables too, I feel it could have been a better game with a tighter gameplay experience.

- Crafting system is obtuse

- That "song" when you leave the first HQ when everyone is in the mountains.. that made me want to die

I don't want to sound too negative, because I am enjoying the atmospheric and plot related parts of the game, but there is just way too much filler and the combat is incredibly repetitive. I'm about 40 hours in, and I see a pattern emerging in how the game deals with gameplay between story quests. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This game is definitely one of the top games available at the moment for RPGs. In regards to a few things mentioned..

• Casual clothing for the Inquisitor. I definitely agree that there should have been more than one option. Sorry, but that basic creme colored tan tunic is.. well.. NPCs in DA:O had better designed clothing.. and they were Ferelden.. not the lavish and style-savvy Orlesians.
  • Slope/Stair controls. These are a pain when they arise. However, I don't encounter them too frequently on the PS3. My big thing is.. where's the supposed boulder that's stopping me from sliding down one set of rocks, when I can clearly explore the area below? Oh.. right.. I have to walk halfway across the map to get to that area. Lol.
  • Dragon Balance. Honestly, I find this to be just fine. The high health pools, heavy hits, and requirement of thoughtful party composition and abilities usage makes it feel a lot more satisfying when you finally kill a dragon. The dragons in previous DA games were too easy.. and didn't feel like dragons at all. In DA:I.. it feels like you just killed a dragon. Especially on Nightmare.
  • Audio breaks. It doesn't happen often, but there's audio breaks every now and then on the PS3. Everything seems fine, and then there's this loud screeching noise.. almost like a quick, split second scraping of nails on a chalkboard. I swear.. playing the game with Turtle Beach X12's on and the volume up when that happens? Massive pain to the ears, man. :(
  • Mapping of Jump/Action button. This part, I agree with. I don't know how many times the Ferelden Frostback ganked me because I was trying to jump dodge, and ended up mining Obsidian instead. I wanted to kick a goat. >.>
  • The Iconic Inquisitor Armor seen in the trailers. NOTE: Potential Spoiler contained. You've been warned. The Helm of the Inquisitor (the helm in the trailers). You don't get this until killing the dragon in The Emerald Graves. The dragon is level 18. Over half of the story content is already completed at this point. You don't really get to fully enjoy the iconic look.. unless you get lucky and find the Schematic to make your own. Then the armor itself. This is acquired from a merchant in The Hissing Wastes area. The sheer size of this map (while rather enjoyable), makes the venture to this merchant a pain.. then you have to come up with around 8,000 gold (24,000 for all 3 types) to buy the schematics for the armor, and then several hundred gold to get all the arm and leg mods to emulate the iconic appearance. I'll gladly do all of this each time, but I figured given the iconic presence of the Helm and the Armor appearance.. they'd be available a little earlier in the game, and mayhaps a bit more affordable. Just my two cents.

So, yeah.. really not too many problems with the game from my personal stand point. I definitely give the game a 9.5/10. Then again, I'm still playing through it, doing all side quests, companion quests, etc.. Haha.

• Like 1

This game is definitely one of the top games available at the moment for RPGs. In regards to a few things mentioned..

• Casual clothing for the Inquisitor. I definitely agree that there should have been more than one option. Sorry, but that basic creme colored tan tunic is.. well.. NPCs in DA:O had better designed clothing.. and they were Ferelden.. not the lavish and style-savvy Orlesians.
  • Audio breaks. It doesn't happen often, but there's audio breaks every now and then on the PS3. Everything seems fine, and then there's this loud screeching noise.. almost like a quick, split second scraping of nails on a chalkboard. I swear.. playing the game with Turtle Beach X12's on and the volume up when that happens? Massive pain to the ears, man. :(
  • The Iconic Inquisitor Armor seen in the trailers. NOTE: Potential Spoiler contained. You've been warned. The Helm of the Inquisitor (the helm in the trailers). You don't get this until killing the dragon in The Emerald Graves. The dragon is level 18. Over half of the story content is already completed at this point. You don't really get to fully enjoy the iconic look.. unless you get lucky and find the Schematic to make your own. Then the armor itself. This is acquired from a merchant in The Hissing Wastes area. The sheer size of this map (while rather enjoyable), makes the venture to this merchant a pain.. then you have to come up with around 8,000 gold (24,000 for all 3 types) to buy the schematics for the armor, and then several hundred gold to get all the arm and leg mods to emulate the iconic appearance. I'll gladly do all of this each time, but I figured given the iconic presence of the Helm and the Armor appearance.. they'd be available a little earlier in the game, and mayhaps a bit more affordable. Just my two cents.

I agree on these things, especially the audio breaks. You can use the duplication trick to get enough money for the iconic armor though.