Who else believes that new consoles release too soon?

jackmadrox

I'm still very much content with my PS3, and will still be for quite some time. I probably won't even dream about buying a PS4 for another 3 - 4 years yet. But you know, by the time the current gen's console is fixed and debugged of launch time issues, and finally perfected.... BAM! The next gen is here  with a whole new set of launch issues and a teeny little selection of games that don't get a second glance. 

I think they should just slow down on churning out new consoles. I know the suits need to make the future to make money, and that's probably why new consoles get made so fast- to keep the bucks rolling in. I just think THIS generation, ( PS3, XBOX 360, WII, whatever) is good enough for now, IMO. 

Agree or Disagree?

• Like 4

I don't think it was too soon, I mean, sure the old-gen still has a lot to offer, but look at what they've done with the new consoles. Sure, they still don't have any epic titles, but games like Shadow of Mordor do things on PS4 that just wouldn't be possible on PS3. They are getting there.

I do want a PS4 now, is starting to be worth it, but probably wont get it for another year. 

I can see where you're coming from but i disagree. The ps3 had a long enough lifespan and we can see that games have reached the maximum potential of what the console is capable of by now. The ps4 is promising to do everything the ps3 does but better and i feel this form of progress is required when comparing it to pc gaming. We have yet to see the game that makes us go "holy shit, this is what we bought a ps4 for, this wouldn't be possible on ps3" but i'm confident that will come sooner or later. From a financial standpoint, my ps3 has already proven itself worth the investment and i am expecting the ps4 to do so as well (unless it breaks lol). Console games are always the best at the end of a console's lifespan, but to improve games the hardware will have to improve as well, but that's just my viewpoint.

Playstation consoles have consistently been released in 6 year (minimum) intervals: PS1 in 1994, PS2 in 2000, and PS3 in 2006. In fact, the PS4 had the longest wait out of the 4 because it was released 7 years after the PS3. 6 to 7 years is too soon for you? Nintendo releases new consoles at 5 to 6 year intervals, and the first two Xboxes were released 4 years apart but everyone waited 8 years for the next one. I don't know what people's definition of "too soon" are, but every 6 years on average seems about right to me to keep up with technological growth.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 2

Although I know the spacing between the PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 were identical (6-7 years), I still feel like the PS4 released too soon... I think it's because I have such a great amount of PS3 games to play, and near nothing interests me on the PS4 yet, making it feel more redundant.  I also think there hasn't been enough of a fantastic technology leap forward from PS3 to PS4.

I understand where the OP's coming from though.

• Like 3

if what you want then alot of people, ALOT of people would lose their jobs, people are working every day and night making better hardware so better ganes can be played for sony consoles and if that is your opinion then just get a PC because there you can do whatever you want, you can mix it up with some old hardware and some new hardware by building your own computer

Playstation consoles have consistently been released in 6 year (minimum) intervals: PS1 in 1994, PS2 in 2000, and PS3 in 2006. In fact, the PS4 had the longest wait out of the 4 because it was released 7 years after the PS3. 6 to 7 years is too soon for you? Nintendo releases new consoles at 5 to 6 year intervals, and the first two Xboxes were released 4 years apart but everyone waited 8 years for the next one. I don't know what people's definition of "too soon" are, but every 6 years on average seems about right to me to keep up with technological growth.

That's my whole point. How much better do we need? "PS4 will double what the PS3 does" and so on. I just believe it does enough to satisfy the typical gamer. Maybe it's just me, I'm happy with what I got I guess. 

• Like 2

I agree... to an extent.

Mostly because I don't really think the "next-gen" consoles are graphically that far beyond what the PS3 was already doing.  I don't own a PS4, but my brother does and watching him play Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age Inquisition... and can't really say it was "wowing" me.  My old roommate got her PS4 and was playing that Injustice fighting game on it, and it looked nice but it didn't strike me as something that couldn't be done on the PS3 (infact I think I remember reading somewhere shortly after that the PS3 version was practically the same thing as the PS4 one).  I feel like the biggest difference between the PS3 and PS4 is 1080p and 60fps (for the games that actually support it).  Which is great and all, but ushering an entirely new generation of gaming?  Meh.

I won't be getting a PS4 until games start coming out that warrant it.  As it stands right now, Beyond Two Souls is looking to be probably the most impressive game I've seen graphically.

All the games you mentioned were made for last-gen as well if you check out games made only for PS4 or Xbone you will see a noticable graphical leap. The facial animations in inFamous SS and the bruising on body parts on UFC could not be done on last-gen games. When the developers get away from last-gen and concentrate on the PS4/Xbone then you will really see the difference 

That's my whole point. How much better do we need? "PS4 will double what the PS3 does" and so on. I just believe it does enough to satisfy the typical gamer. Maybe it's just me, I'm happy with what I got I guess. 

I'm pretty much in the same boat that you are. My retail and digital backlog is insanely large (still kinda even growing a little) and I'm still really bummed about that lack of backwards compatibility. One thing no one is mentioning about every past release of Sony consoles is that they were all backwards compatible with the prior generations. For me, it always encouraged that day one purchase because I didn't have to worry about jumping back and forth between 2 different consoles and the transition to the new generation was always a steady & smooth one. I always got to finish up my games from the prior gen while trying out a few of the new ones. Being that its now 2014 and we have digital games these days, there's no rational excuse as to why at least our digital purchases can't be downloaded and played (personally, I think Sony planned the remastered versions of a lot of those AAA games and Playstation Now a long time ago to make even more money off of titles that already exist...the greedy bastards)

Also, as many others have already stated...I just don't see anything overly impressive about the next gen consoles. The leap doesn't seem as sophisticated or great as in the prior generations. Not one game so far that I've seen and have said "Oh I've got to have that"...

Edited by merciful84

If I had my ps3 since 2006 I'd just want a ps4, and quickly. Otherwise, like you, I got it mid life span and I still enjoy it a lot :)

I got mine at lauch and still don't want a PS4 yet

I think 6 or 7 years between the release of next gen consoles is perfectly fine. At least it isn't as often as the annual release of new iPhones and iPads...what are we up to now...6? 6 plus?

Apple are a bunch of conartist and the whole "i" product line is a financial trap which consist of hundreds of dollars of annual upgrades that with never slow down.

Edited by merciful84

All the games you mentioned were made for last-gen as well if you check out games made only for PS4 or Xbone you will see a noticable graphical leap. The facial animations in inFamous SS and the bruising on body parts on UFC could not be done on last-gen games. When the developers get away from last-gen and concentrate on the PS4/Xbone then you will really see the difference 

Am I wrong in saying that it feels like releasing multiplatform, cross-generation games is lasting longer than it did back when we went from PS2 to PS3... and the difference between those versions were significantly more noticable? (See: NHL 07)

• Like 2

Am I wrong in saying that it feels like releasing multiplatform, cross-generation games is lasting longer than it did back when we went from PS2 to PS3... and the difference between those versions were significantly more noticable? (See: NHL 07)

It was SD to HD but yeah a lot of cross-gen games so far i'm guessing developers don't want to lose money by sticking to the new consoles

I played and adored my PS3 for six years, and I still have reasons to get back to it, but its impossible to not notice the difference between it and the PS4, the games load faster, run smoother, amazing improvment to the controller design, the interface is so much better, the store actually loads quickly, the shareplay feature is insane and I don't think a lot of people have taken full advantage of it! I also want to start messing around with built in video.

A lot of the current set of games have been held back because they have be designed to work on the last gen too, but even so I wouldn't of wanted to play them on my PS3 (I wouldn't have enjoyed BF4 or Black Flag as much if I did) but a lot of big open world games are starting to come out to actual test the console, Unity's Paris since it works for me, is amazing, and I can't wait to try Dragon Age, Far Cry 4 and then The Witcher 3 coming out soon..........(and then of course next year....Uncharted 4!! ^.^)

6 to 7 years is a perfect time for consoles to come out, long enough for the console to build up a great library of games, but any longer would hurt the market, consoles are constantly being out paced by PC gaming, so its good that Sony and Mircosoft bring out better hardware......

I bought my PS4 day one and I have not regretted it once...

I agree with you 100% Jackmadrox, I think they should of waited til late 2015, because from what I hear, the PS4 & Xbox1 are still having software problems and they haven't been perfected. That's one of the reasons why I have been holding off from buying the ps4.

They actually waited longer between the PS3 to PS4 (7 years), than between the PS2 to PS3 (6 years). I'd hardly call that churning them out.

They aren't forcing you to buy them either, as the last gen systems are still getting full support. It's also good that they came out with new systems, because it's always a better idea to wait until a system has been out for a while before picking one up anyway. Just like you said, they just perfected the current systems. If it takes them the same amount of time to do the same with the new systems, then why would you want to wait for them to be released?

Very much disagree.

I'm still very much content with my PS3, and will still be for quite some time. I probably won't even dream about buying a PS4 for another 3 - 4 years yet. But you know, by the time the current gen's console is fixed and debugged of launch time issues, and finally perfected.... BAM! The next gen is here  with a whole new set of launch issues and a teeny little selection of games that don't get a second glance. 

There have been and will continue to be regular updates which so far have had the occasional teething problem, but they are designed to fix issues as well as improve the firmware, something which is being handled far more aggressively by Sony than their support for the PS3. That being said, this tech will -always- have issues, whether it is on the XboxOne or any other like-system, we live in an age where things get fixed on the fly and through the power of the internet. It is the nature of the beast nowadays. I personally haven't had anything go wrong. I adore my PS3 and I plan on continuing to play it, but it -is- an inferior console now.

You also know about Sonys plans to have a huge catalog of games available through a streaming service, right? Planned for the PS4 and beyond.

I think they should just slow down on churning out new consoles. I know the suits need to make the future to make money, and that's probably why new consoles get made so fast- to keep the bucks rolling in. I just think THIS generation, ( PS3, XBOX 360, WII, whatever) is good enough for now, IMO. 

Agree or Disagree?

Slow down churning out new consoles? What? The PS3 has been around for about 8 years. 'Churning out new consoles' suggests a company that constantly releases new gaming platforms. The PS2 was alive for about 13 years before it retired. They are in no way churning out new consoles. Unless you consider a near-decade long life cycle to be too fast, in which case, that is utterly ridiculous. By your logic, if Sony adopted this approach, we would all be playing on the equivalent of a toaster while other companies shot off ahead.

I know the suits need to make the future to make money, and that's probably why new consoles get made so fast- to keep the bucks rolling in.

Again, what? How are these consoles getting made so fast? How is a near-decade lifespan something that denotes going too fast? The slower the consoles go in terms of release the more they hold back the evolution of console gaming.

For quite a while it cost Sony more money to make a PS3 than to sell it. This is because Sony screwed up and used specific tech that was expensive to manufacture and equally hard to develop games for. It is only very recently that Sony is reporting significant profits.

If you want a more accurate and informed application for this - please see Nintendo - who release countless iterations of handhelds and peripherals on a yearly basis.

I just think THIS generation, ( PS3, XBOX 360, WII, whatever) is good enough for now, IMO. 

Agree or Disagree?

PS4 and Xbox One are considered current gen. Applying 'Next gen' to them implies they haven't been released yet and they have. PS3 and Xbox 360 would now sadly be considered past gen from a technological point of view. That unfortunately isn't debatable or arguable, it is fact.

• Like 1