I really need HELP!

movievet-dotcom

I'm playing on ranger hardcore and I'm on the first train ride action scene with the mutants. I kill 2 of them with my gun and then I'm jumped by a third and killed everytime. On the youtube videos it shows people stabbing it with a kinife, but I'm not even sure if I have one. I click on the right thumb stick for a melee attack but I don't even know if that is a knife, as it looked different than what the other people used. Anyways it never works and I get killed evey time.

PLEASE HELP me understand this. Did I not pick up the proper knife earlier in the game and do I need to start over or something so I can get it. I'M STUCK!

The chapter is called "Chase" and it's maybe the third one in.

Does Ranger Hardcore remove HUD? Maybe it's a QTE and you need to mash a face button?

Ya there is no HUD. Hell, they don't even give you any kind of a tutorial at all. I ended up looking at a playthrough on "normal difficulty" on youtube and I found out I had to tap the square button repeatedly at that part. So, I think that was a quick time event. 

I passed that dumb monster. I hope there aren't any other surprises. So far, I'm diggin this game, outside of that hurdle.

Edited by movievet-dotcom