Preferred EDF 2025 Soldier Class?

Lady Blanc

EDF Class Poll  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your preferred soldier class?

Just thought I'd try get a general idea among the EDF 2025 players on this site what their preferred class is, you can also list your preferred weapons for that class if you feel so inclined.

For me, my order is as follows (only #1 would be shown on the poll as my poll is not multiple choice);

1. Wing Diver
  2. Ranger
  3. Fencer
  4. Air Raider

As for my favourite weapons for the Wing Diver, it all depends on the situation;

• Short-Mid range ground combat - Reflectron D Laser: Due to the laser's reflective capabilities, it makes dealing with large groups much easier, as the laser can simply ricochet between the cluster of enemies. Not to mention it causes a hell of a light show in the underground missions.
  • Short-Mid range aerial combat  - Thunderbow class weapons: With it essentially being an electro-shotgun, it is devastating up close, but can be fired at a reasonable range to still have an effect, the bolts will ricochet off buildings & enemies if they still have range to cover, making it capable of dealing heavy damage
  • Mid-Long range combat (single target) - Raijin or any of the Thunder Sniper class weapons: Capable of devastating single shot damage, these weapons have saved my butt more times than I can remember, the drawback to the Raijin is that a single shot drains half of the energy gauge, meaning that ensuring a hit is top priority.
  • Mid-Long range combat (multiple targets or heavily armoured single target) - Plasma Launcher class weapons: These are basically the Wing Diver's rocket launchers, they fire explosive, highly destructive blasts of super-heated plasma. There's just something satisfying about watching the insects fly off in pieces after getting hit by these weapons.
Edited by Blanc

Having just platted the game yesterday, I'll give my thoughts for each class as well.  Keep in mind these comments and my rankings are all based on Inferno difficulty playing solo.

1. Fencer

2. Wing Diver

3. Ranger

4. Air Raider

1. Fencer: A lot of people don't give the class a chance because they don't know how to utilize him properly.  Here's some videos for what I think is the best way to play a Fencer:

(Skyrim music ftw, lol)

Put a Javelin Catapult or Twin Javelin Catapult in your left equipment (can be your right, but I like left better), and a weapon that enables boost dash in the other (Blasthole Spear MS is recommended).  Hold down L1, and keep hitting R2.  Fencer is now almost as fast as a Wing Diver, and much more maneuverable.  Use a Master Shield if you want more defense while still remaining fast, but it's tough against large groups since insects will always try to surround you. Dual wield Jackhammer MA for close range (preferably single target, since they don't pierce) targets. Dual wield FGX missiles for anti air (I was killing the hornets in the first stage with their giant nest before they could even leave it) or just general long distance large group targets.  Dual wield 35mm Battle Cannons to dominate Hectors, Deroys, Transport Ships, and other similar enemies.  I know they suck at first because they seem so unwieldy and have a lot of recoil, but trust me, all it takes is a little practice.  Also when you alternate firing them, you can cancel out a lot of the recoil.  Finest Hammers work great dual wielded as shown in the second video I provided. Other than that, Gallion Armor Pierce Cannons work well as anti air weapons (keep jumping!).  Dyna Force Blades are also fairly decent weapons.

Also a big reason why the Fencer is my favorite class is because he has so many weapons that can pierce, which is incredibly helpful for higher difficulties.  Compare that to the Ranger, who only has one, and you have to reload it after every shot (Stringer sniper rifles).

2. Wing Diver: She has the second most underrated weapon in the game, the Monster-S.  The game description doesn't do a good job of telling you how it works, because it actually does damage based upon how much wing energy you currently have.  If you have close to full energy, it does 18,000 damage, not 6,000.  This is because it fires three lasers at the same time with close to full energy, and each laser does 6,000 damage.  At around half energy it fires two, and low it fires one.  Easily my favorite long distance weapon for her.  Other than that, all I needed was the Idunn-FF for general use, and the Hreidmarr for close, high HP targets (tunnel exits for example).

3. Ranger: the thing about this class that annoys me the most is the difficulty in getting around the map.  Air Raider has vehicles, Wing Diver can fly, and Fencer can boost dash.  He does possess what I consider the most versatile weapon in the game though, the AF100.  I used at least one of an AF100, Lysander Z (or Hercules), or Reverse Shooter X on every stage.  Using two Lysander Z's and switching between them after every shot is really effective for stages without any large groups.  The Stampede XM is also a great weapon if you can aim it well.

4. Air Raider: don't be fooled because I have him ranked last, the AR is far from a bad class.  It's just that he really shines as a support class (like the game tells you), and since I'm ranking them based on solo play, I have to give him last place.  That being said, he has the most underrated weapon in the game, imo - the Skytrap Wire 16W.  Wire guns in general are underrated, but the best of them is incredible against any large group, including aerial enemies.  The idea when you're using it is to make as many wires as you can hit the enemies, so that means shoot, and keep moving.  In really open areas with large groups on the ground, shoot then roll to the left or right, and try to make a circle around the group as you're moving.  You'll see how good it is.  The only thing you have to watch out for is that the wires work like spider webs - meaning, they can go through a lot of solid objects and possibly hit far away enemies, making them come after you when you're trying to deal with one group at a time.

Limpet guns aren't very good for the most part, but the Splendor class works really well in underground stages.  The highest level Limpet Gun, the Limpet Chaingun ZD, can actually shoot down transport ships and other high HP targets fairly well, but it can be a pain in the rear to aim.  Let's not forget turrets, either. The ZEXR-GUN is great for general use and in particular for helping you deal with large groups.  The Electromagnetic Prison (level 56, and mispelled in the game) also works very well as a barrier, and has great reload time for the bunker class.

And lastly, vehicles. The highest level Railgun does insane damage, and is pretty durable.  You can own the mission where you have to destroy the mothership in about two minutes with this thing.  The only problem is that it has a limited angle for aiming upward, so it can be tough to position it properly for certain targets, like the smaller transport ships.  Helicopters can make any stage without flying enemies cake, but...the controls.  Eventually I just gave up trying to use them.  The last two Vegalta mechs are worth using as well, since they can hit hard, and boost jump to get you to higher places.  Also great for maps with lots of Retarius spiders.  In general, vehicles get shredded pretty quickly on Inferno, so just don't rely on them too much.

And that's about it.  I did NOT solo every stage on Inferno with Ranger and Air Raider (got someone to split screen with me for some of the more difficult missions), but I was able to manage most of them myself.

• 1 year later...