Rogue : recommended on nightmare ?

nagisa-chan1987

keep in mind that u can controll any character in your party. Roque is a damage dealer and you should be fine completing most, if not all of the story as your character. If theres ever a moment you want to switch, just use your allies. So in the end I would advice to take the character you like the most because theres always a way to finish the game :)

• Like 1

Rogue is fine, in fact i play the most time with Sera as Bow-DD, you die fast or immediately if you get hit, but you can avoid it with some techniques. 

My own character is a two handed warrior and that was the worst decision for playing in Nightmare, i'd suggest you play either bow-rogue or mage.

Rogue is fine, in fact i play the most time with Sera as Bow-DD, you die fast or immediately if you get hit, but you can avoid it with some techniques. 

My own character is a two handed warrior and that was the worst decision for playing in Nightmare, i'd suggest you play either bow-rogue or mage.

he can die fast. Yes i agree but i think that is the same thing with the mage. Both are fragile

Edited by nagisa-chan1987

he can die fast. Yes i agree but i think that is the same thing with the mage. Both are fragile

Yes but as mage you can summon a barrier to save yourself for a period, as rogue there is no such thing.

Edited by karar

best bet is either general type of rogue, or spec a mage for support role I'd say. a DW Rogue spec'd for Assassin will be the way to go, thanks to heavy utilization of Stealth and the immense one-hit damage it can do. i run DW right now, and spec'd so I can stealth and twin fangs for a one hit, which instantly resets stealth, so rinse and repeat on the ranged enemies while my party (Bull, Dorian and Blackwall) focus down the hardier enemies. you could try tempest or artificer, but a tempest is very up close and easy to kill it seems, plus why would you run an artificer DW. Archery is also good, if not better, because artificer makes more sense here allowing you to have more control of the area in addition to keeping ranged during the fight. Also, it may be tricky but off the top of my head visualizing the assassin-friendly abilities and passives, an assassin archer is also very viable, you just have to stealth behind the enemies and get off that first shot on the biggest enemy, then hang back and take out the ranged ones as the rest of the party goes to work. 

for the mage, anything is possible obviously, but support seems ideal because if you are controlling the support, you cant do damage but you  control the when and where of the buffs and debuffs. personally the friendly AI for the mages seems kinda inconclusive, not sure about it too much but Dorian loves to not use his buffs unless i make him.

also, just for extra, i would shy away from Solas and Sera for nightmare. Tempest on a rogue archer seems like a waste and not very ideal for use on harder difficulties, but i havent used it and its new to the games so if im wrong bite my head off for it. for Solas, his specialization seems subpar to the others. I use Dorian and he is constantly stealing kills so we always have a spirit up, and Vivienne's specialization, while not ideal for nightmare, seems like its possible to make her a powerhouse. Varric+artificer is definitely a good pull, Cassandra has the magic dispels which when used on enemies spawning in from fade rifts can kill them before them fully spawn, and blackwall has the badass tank abilities in his specialization. Iron Bull is 50/50. I use him and he wrecks face well enough, but on harder difficulties I can see him being a bit of a glass cannon. I cant say much on cole since im a DW Rogue spec'd for assassin so I never use him, so if you like him go for it. 

keep in mind I have yet to start nightmare because I have final exams for college coming up so I can't be playing my PS4 much, but this should hold up I would expect. if not tell me and thisll be gone

• Like 1

best bet is either general type of rogue, or spec a mage for support role I'd say. a DW Rogue spec'd for Assassin will be the way to go, thanks to heavy utilization of Stealth and the immense one-hit damage it can do. i run DW right now, and spec'd so I can stealth and twin fangs for a one hit, which instantly resets stealth, so rinse and repeat on the ranged enemies while my party (Bull, Dorian and Blackwall) focus down the hardier enemies. you could try tempest or artificer, but a tempest is very up close and easy to kill it seems, plus why would you run an artificer DW. Archery is also good, if not better, because artificer makes more sense here allowing you to have more control of the area in addition to keeping ranged during the fight. Also, it may be tricky but off the top of my head visualizing the assassin-friendly abilities and passives, an assassin archer is also very viable, you just have to stealth behind the enemies and get off that first shot on the biggest enemy, then hang back and take out the ranged ones as the rest of the party goes to work. 

for the mage, anything is possible obviously, but support seems ideal because if you are controlling the support, you cant do damage but you  control the when and where of the buffs and debuffs. personally the friendly AI for the mages seems kinda inconclusive, not sure about it too much but Dorian loves to not use his buffs unless i make him.

also, just for extra, i would shy away from Solas and Sera for nightmare. Tempest on a rogue archer seems like a waste and not very ideal for use on harder difficulties, but i havent used it and its new to the games so if im wrong bite my head off for it. for Solas, his specialization seems subpar to the others. I use Dorian and he is constantly stealing kills so we always have a spirit up, and Vivienne's specialization, while not ideal for nightmare, seems like its possible to make her a powerhouse. Varric+artificer is definitely a good pull, Cassandra has the magic dispels which when used on enemies spawning in from fade rifts can kill them before them fully spawn, and blackwall has the badass tank abilities in his specialization. Iron Bull is 50/50. I use him and he wrecks face well enough, but on harder difficulties I can see him being a bit of a glass cannon. I cant say much on cole since im a DW Rogue spec'd for assassin so I never use him, so if you like him go for it. 

keep in mind I have yet to start nightmare because I have final exams for college coming up so I can't be playing my PS4 much, but this should hold up I would expect. if not tell me and thisll be gone

I'm playing an archer. I didn't specialize in anything (assasin or artificer) because i'm still stucked in the mission " in hushed whispers" which is really hard.

also, just for extra, i would shy away from Solas and Sera for nightmare. Tempest on a rogue archer seems like a waste and not very ideal for use on harder difficulties, but i havent used it and its new to the games so if im wrong bite my head off for it.

Sera doesn't have to be an archer...  No reason not to make her a DW.

However, Tempest works just as well for archer - the flasks have armor effects, yes, but the other effects like abilities use no stamina, have no c/d, or do 15% more damage will all work just as well with bows.

Edited by Time4Tiddy
  • Like 2

I'm playing if the rogue as my main, I always play as rogue trough, I love the arrow and bow and play in the distance, I'm not fan of hitting merciless if swords and axes.

I'm having a blast by the way, outstanding game

And it will get better and better, believe me :D

Sera doesn't have to be an archer...  No reason not to make her a DW.

However, Tempest works just as well for archer - the flasks have armor effects, yes, but the other effects like abilities use no stamina, have no c/d, or do 15% more damage will all work just as well with bows.

That was just the way i played with Sera in Nightmare. The bow can make heavy damage although my own two handed berserk could easily kill a dragon in seconds at the end of the game. But as archer the distance is way safer in nightmare difficulty. The assassin with stealth spec sounds also good.

Edited by karar
  • Like 1

Well when there are not annoying issues (ce34878-0 for instance) that is indeed a great game

Somehow i never had that issue... The game crashed like 3 or 4 times in my ± 90h of playing, the biggest issue was the AI of your companions in my opinion.

• Like 1

In my opinion the rogue is not only a good choice for Nightmare but it is the best choice. The reason for this is (SPOILERS AHEAD):

The rogue can vanish at any time allowing breaches being closed a trivial affair. Simply pop cloak, wait for the monsters to aggro on your other party members and then just stun them with the breach, repeat, easy breach close. On top of that (and depending which tree you go) you can be at range your entire time (archery). For me I went two daggers and it took a bit to be able to figure out positioning, etc but once I figured it out it has been fantastic. The damage is huge. 

One suggestion for nightmare though and that is always take the time to both:

a) Complete side quests

B) Upgrade/create new gear

I am at a mind boggling 171 hours in currently, have completed every single quest, need 1 more dragon (admittedly he has given me some issues), collected nearly everything and only have the final mission to go. For the past few levels I haven't had a single issue with anything save that final dragon but I think I will take him down within the hour as, this time, I will be going in with resist potions. 

Sidenote: I have no idea why "b" came out as that emoticon. 

In my opinion the rogue is not only a good choice for Nightmare but it is the best choice. The reason for this is (SPOILERS AHEAD):

The rogue can vanish at any time allowing breaches being closed a trivial affair. Simply pop cloak, wait for the monsters to aggro on your other party members and then just stun them with the breach, repeat, easy breach close. On top of that (and depending which tree you go) you can be at range your entire time (archery). For me I went two daggers and it took a bit to be able to figure out positioning, etc but once I figured it out it has been fantastic. The damage is huge. 

One suggestion for nightmare though and that is always take the time to both:

a) Complete side quests

B) Upgrade/create new gear

I am at a mind boggling 171 hours in currently, have completed every single quest, need 1 more dragon (admittedly he has given me some issues), collected nearly everything and only have the final mission to go. For the past few levels I haven't had a single issue with anything save that final dragon but I think I will take him down within the hour as, this time, I will be going in with resist potions. 

Sidenote: I have no idea why "b" came out as that emoticon. 

Thanks. I chose Rogue and indeed it is revealed to be a great choice if not the best. However I'm stuck  in the quest " in your heart shall burn", really hard :( Tell me, what companions do you think are best ? The only one I ALWAYS choose is Cassandra as a tank

Thanks. I chose Rogue and indeed it is revealed to be a great choice if not the best. However I'm stuck  in the quest " in your heart shall burn", really hard :( Tell me, what companions do you think are best ? The only one I ALWAYS choose is Cassandra as a tank

Cassandra, Solas and Dorian. Dorian because of his necromancy tree later on but Vivienne can be just as effective with her extra tree. Solas is pretty much essential if you choose to use him for shields. On that note, you need one mage with shields maxed so they continuously rebuff them while also debuffing the enemies. 

To be honest, it doesn't matter what class you choose. You will need to control all of your party regularly anyway. It is all down to how your characters are programmed, how you balance their classes and abilities with eachother and effective use of the tactical battle camera. Class doesn't matter if you make it fit within balanced groups.

I just finished the game on Nightmare as Rogue/Assassin rolling Archery.

I managed to clear everything on Nightmare (High Dragons included) with the spec.

The hardest part of the game for me was the start up to the umm introduction of the villain.

Later in the game, it got a lot easier, especially when using Mark of Death with Full Draw. This combo often resulted in 12-20k damage (assuming crit).

I just finished the game on Nightmare as Rogue/Assassin rolling Archery. I managed to clear everything on Nightmare (High Dragons included) with the spec. The hardest part of the game for me was the start up to the umm introduction of the villain. Later in the game, it got a lot easier, especially when using Mark of Death with Full Draw. This combo often resulted in 12-20k damage (assuming crit).

Congratulations you have my respect :) I'm clearly not good as I can't even pass the quest "in your heart shall burn" :(