Rogue : recommended on nightmare ?

nagisa-chan1987

Well, after my experience I can say that I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND Rogue for Nightmare dif. I think it's for good and experienced players. For noobs like you I would advise you warrior. Two hand or Protect because it's a piece of cake with them on Nightmare. 

Please avoid the word "noob" which I slightly take as an offense. Thanks

I'm pretty used to the Rogue (archery) class now. it's just I didn't find the way to beat that quest.

Edited by nagisa-chan1987

I'm pretty used to the Rogue (archery) class now. it's just I didn't find the way to beat that quest.

Sorry "Less experienced players" :) I hope you are satisfied now. Also I think it's better to play on Normal or Hard in your 1st Playtrough so you get used to the game and for your 2nd playtrough choose Nightmare. 

Edited by Konsty_ml

You could also bypass that quest (if you have a prior save) to grind a level or two before hand to make yourself stronger. The best options (above everything else) is put the time in to get the most sidequests done to have a stronger character for the harder quests. So, perhaps, go back a bit to a prior save and build up OR use the two tanks. 

• Like 1

You could also bypass that quest (if you have a prior save) to grind a level or two before hand to make yourself stronger. The best options (above everything else) is put the time in to get the most sidequests done to have a stronger character for the harder quests. So, perhaps, go back a bit to a prior save and build up OR use the two tanks. 

Using two tanks ? Hmm why not. With a Rogue and a mage it can be useful

Using two tanks ? Hmm why not. 

Yeah no real reason not to if you are having trouble as two sword/board tanks will allow you to have more time to heal/switch characters, etc. Just make sure you're constantly using the overhead stop camera to issue commands as well. That is key for nightmare, especially once you face the dragons. 

Hey Nagisa, that was the ONE quest that I could not do legit with a rogue. I got to the turn event with only one potion left...

When I got to the progress bar event (at the end), I would turn it until a large wave spawned, then tell my team to disengage and run back to the gate. This allows the tank to handle the enemies in a choke. I then cleared everything and then continued.

When the boss spawns, do the same thing (retreat). Kill all adds and let your group die, then vanish. Jump on the ledge to the left of the gate to bypass the boss.

Head to the turn event area, your team should respawn on you. Turn the wheel and keep turning until you complete the bar.

You will be able to finish the mission without killing the boss.

Cheap, but effective!

Yeah no real reason not to if you are having trouble as two sword/board tanks will allow you to have more time to heal/switch characters, etc. Just make sure you're constantly using the overhead stop camera to issue commands as well. That is key for nightmare, especially once you face the dragons.

I only needed that to tell Solas to move... He is such an idiot lol.

I would also suggest tweaking each party members behaviour in the character record screen - they all have a default setting which can often get you killed even on a normal difficulty mode. Make sure they are using abilities which make sense, set their most valuable abilities to preferred, set the ones you want them to use to enabled and anything else deactivate.

I found making sure they all follow my tank by default helped alot.

I would also suggest tweaking each party members behaviour in the character record screen - they all have a default setting which can often get you killed even on a normal difficulty mode. Make sure they are using abilities which make sense, set their most valuable abilities to preferred, set the ones you want them to use to enabled and anything else deactivate.

I found making sure they all follow my tank by default helped a lot

Thanks for your advice

Hey Nagisa, that was the ONE quest that I could not do legit with a rogue. I got to the turn event with only one potion left...

When I got to the progress bar event (at the end), I would turn it until a large wave spawned, then tell my team to disengage and run back to the gate. This allows the tank to handle the enemies in a choke. I then cleared everything and then continued.

When the boss spawns, do the same thing (retreat). Kill all adds and let your group die, then vanish. Jump on the ledge to the left of the gate to bypass the boss.

Head to the turn event area, your team should respawn on you. Turn the wheel and keep turning until you complete the bar.

You will be able to finish the mission without killing the boss.

Cheap, but effective!

I only needed that to tell Solas to move... He is such an idiot lol.

Good strattegy thanks. I'll try that

Also consider something else. In my opinion the most difficult encounter in the game, outside of the final high dragons, are the Templar Shadows as those guys, especially on Nightmare, are ridiculously OP and drop party members, even tanks, with 2-3 hits. That said, I am sure it is those guys who are causing you problems on the current issue you are having. You need to always.... ALWAYS get them out of the way first. Typically everyone (myself included) always targets the casters first to get them out early but the Shadows are, easily, the most dangerous fighters on the field when you encounter them so I suggest focus firing them down always right away as even one of them can gobble up your 4 members in seconds on nightmare. 

Also consider something else. In my opinion the most difficult encounter in the game, outside of the final high dragons, are the Templar Shadows as those guys, especially on Nightmare, are ridiculously OP and drop party members, even tanks, with 2-3 hits. That said, I am sure it is those guys who are causing you problems on the current issue you are having. You need to always.... ALWAYS get them out of the way first. Typically everyone (myself included) always targets the casters first to get them out early but the Shadows are, easily, the most dangerous fighters on the field when you encounter them so I suggest focus firing them down always right away as even one of them can gobble up your 4 members in seconds on nightmare. 

I'm sure the high dragons will be ver very hard...Templar shadows i fear them yeah. Now i'm trying to have the perfect team to go through the game. Cassandra as my tank, Vivienne and Solas as DPS Mage (spirit both) and myself (rogue archery)

I'm sure the high dragons will be ver very hard...Templar shadows i fear them yeah. Now i'm trying to have the perfect team to go through the game. Cassandra as my tank, Vivienne and Solas as DPS Mage (spirit both) and myself (rogue archery)

That is a good combination. Especially when Vivienne picks up the extra tree which is super. Also remember to (early on) pick up:

1) All 4 added conversation perks

2) Extra 4 potions

3) Extra Potion slots

4) Grit (adds to damage threshold)

and a few others I can't recall right now. Those will help level faster and help in battle. 

That was my exact combo, worked well with Viv as Knight Enchanter

Playing as a Tempest Rogue and slayed 2 dragons on Nightmare so far. My team is Solas, Vivenne and Blackwall. I am rogue with daggers. There is no need to control anything on Blackwall mostly. For Vivenne and Solas I disabled "cancelling" magic since I like to apply it on spawn locations while closing rifts. The more u play, more u'll improve in tacticts. Rogue is not hard to play because you can vanish away anytime u want if u time it wisely. Craft gear, don't hesitate since crafting rewards here better than waiting for something for ur rogue. Before boss fights manually put barriers on Blackwall and Rogue.

Playing as a Tempest Rogue and slayed 2 dragons on Nightmare so far. My team is Solas, Vivenne and Blackwall. I am rogue with daggers. There is no need to control anything on Blackwall mostly. For Vivenne and Solas I disabled "cancelling" magic since I like to apply it on spawn locations while closing rifts. The more u play, more u'll improve in tacticts. Rogue is not hard to play because you can vanish away anytime u want if u time it wisely. Craft gear, don't hesitate since crafting rewards here better than waiting for something for ur rogue. Before boss fights manually put barriers on Blackwall and Rogue.

Yeah in my opinion Tempest is the best choice of the three. Especially for daggers but I know it's debatable. I just feel that Tempest is the best defensible and best sustained DPS build for two daggers. If you drop ice then anything that touches you will freeze so you're safe to pop evade and give your tank time to challenge. I was planning on trying Assassin for my next go around but, frankly, I will probably pick up Tempest again, even though I am Archery this time. It's simply too OP to pass up. The amount you kick out is ridiculous and even though Death Mark (Assassins Tree) is amazing and you're dropping 4k backstabs, you simply (again, this is my opinion as I haven't tested it fully) cannot beat the sustained damage of Tempest and the surviveability it offers with the ice tonic. On that note, if you do go Tempest, make sure you (obviously) pick up Ice Tonic as soon as possible BUT do NOT pick up the second tier of it (it taunts all enemies to you on the second tier). Stay away from that tier.  

You're right though, Vanish is singularly the best skill in the game as I have had my other party members die only to run around cloaked, rezzing them one by one, to win a long drawn out fight (yesterday on the final High Dragon which, by the way, did not unlock the god damn trophy....).

• Like 1

Medcsu, did you kill her post game? I did that and no trophy. I reloaded a save before the last mission and it popped.

It was before the end of the game. I logged 175 hours and not only did that trophy not pop but neither did my completion trophy either (beating nightmare - or ANY mode for that matter). I tried both my previous autosave and also my previous save which I stored before the events that took place in the (SPOILERS!!!!!!!!) 

Elven Ruins and, both times, no luck on both the dragons and the completion of the game. Suffice to say I was/am a bit pissed but the good thing is the game is enjoyable so I have no issue playing again. This time around I don't need to hear all the rhetoric and I can bypass romance, etc so it shouldn't take but, perhaps, 30 hours. Especially with archery which has been unfathomably easier than two daggers. In fact, many of the encounters I can solo by just clicking "Hold your ground" and sniping from afar as most monsters don't chase. Cheap, I know, however, considering I already beat the game and the damn trophy didn't pop I am not in the mood to deal with long winded situations again until I finish my platinum. Archery is truly huge damage though. I thought two daggers would be the king but after playing this spec I am convinced that it is the best and most reliable pick for Nightmare due to sustained DPS and also surviveability which it clearly would have over mages. I was considering mage/necro as Necromancy is super OP given from what I saw from Dorian but I didn't want to take any chances due to the recent trophy "issues". If it happens a second time you may hear about the first recorded case of a man going nuclear in Northern CA after his blood turned to uranium. 

Yeah in my opinion Tempest is the best choice of the three. Especially for daggers but I know it's debatable. I just feel that Tempest is the best defensible and best sustained DPS build for two daggers. If you drop ice then anything that touches you will freeze so you're safe to pop evade and give your tank time to challenge. I was planning on trying Assassin for my next go around but, frankly, I will probably pick up Tempest again, even though I am Archery this time. It's simply too OP to pass up. The amount you kick out is ridiculous and even though Death Mark (Assassins Tree) is amazing and you're dropping 4k backstabs, you simply (again, this is my opinion as I haven't tested it fully) cannot beat the sustained damage of Tempest and the surviveability it offers with the ice tonic. On that note, if you do go Tempest, make sure you (obviously) pick up Ice Tonic as soon as possible BUT do NOT pick up the second tier of it (it taunts all enemies to you on the second tier). Stay away from that tier.  

You're right though, Vanish is singularly the best skill in the game as I have had my other party members die only to run around cloaked, rezzing them one by one, to win a long drawn out fight (yesterday on the final High Dragon which, by the way, did not unlock the god damn trophy....).

True. I tried all of the trees and my preference as I said before is Tempest since it has a huge gap between it and other trees. 3rd tier "Thousand cuts" with high Crit Chance and Crit damage daggers is insane. Not to mention its flasks and their passives.

Edited by SooFany-R

...specially with archery which has been unfathomably easier than two daggers. In fact, many of the encounters I can solo by just clicking "Hold your ground" and sniping from afar as most monsters don't chase. Cheap, I know, however, considering I already beat the game and the damn trophy didn't pop I am not in the mood to deal with long winded situations again until I finish my platinum. Archery is truly huge damage though. I thought two daggers would be the king but after playing this spec I am convinced that it is the best and most reliable pick for Nightmare due to sustained DPS and also surviveability which it clearly would have over mages.

With archery and assassin, using Mark of Death, I would hit between 16-28k using it with Full Draw. I also crafted a tier 4 bow with 78% armor pen... Crazy damage.

With archery and assassin, using Mark of Death, I would hit between 16-28k using it with Full Draw. I also crafted a tier 4 bow with 78% armor pen... Crazy damage.

Oh wow.... I rescind my comment then and will need to delve much more into that tree when the time comes because that is massive. 

Oh wow.... I rescind my comment then and will need to delve much more into that tree when the time comes because that is massive.

(Note we are talking crit with full draw for 8-9k, then manually detonating the Mark. Highest manual detonate was 21k crit)