Ubisoft found a 'no more post-release embargo' loophole for The Crew

kidhero99

We also know that many of you will be eager to turn to experts for their professional advice. You want to read how the pros feel after their carefully considered road tests of The Crew. While we totally understand (hey, we read reviews, too!), The Crew was built from the beginning to be a living playground full of driving fans, so it’s only possible to assess our game in its entirety with other real players in the world. And by other, we mean thousands and thousands and thousands of players – something that can’t be simulated with a handful of devs playing alongside the press.

For this very reason, The Crew will be available to media to begin their reviews when the game launches on December 2. There will be absolutely no embargo on any type of coverage once the game is available for sale. While we fully anticipate that you might see some reviews immediately at launch – largely built around the preview sessions we facilitated during the past months or the limited content of the closed and open betas – they won’t be based on optimal conditions or reflect the finished game. We sincerely hope everyone will take the time to customize their ride as they progress through all five regions, explore every corner of the map solo and with friends, dive into our competitive and cooperative mechanics, race to the end of the main campaign, choose a Faction and compete with your crew in Factions Wars, and so much more.

Can't get away with having post-launch embargo dates? Easy fix, just have no embargo 'once the game is available for sale' but don't provide the game until then and tell gamers not to trust any early reviews.  :)

Eh, I can kind of understand that. A game like The Crew is heavily based on the community aspect and interaction and I don't think that can be experienced with only a handful of people playing. Unfortunately Ubisoft doesn't have the best reputation after their past few releases so lets hope they don;t fuck this one up too. 

Parker

• Like 2

Meh. Driving games... Never really understood the appeal.

Well, maybe fans should reward them by not buying a single copy until after we get some reviews. Paradox ensues, game doesn't sell because no reviews, no reviews because no players, etc etc. 

Then the dev's realise they created this and they start behaving.

Eh, I can kind of understand that. A game like The Crew is heavily based on the community aspect and interaction and I don't think that can be experienced with only a handful of people playing. Unfortunately Ubisoft doesn't have the best reputation after their past few releases so lets hope they don;t fuck this one up too. 

Parker

I've played the original beta and the updated one. Neither of which have yet to give me a compelling reason to purchase it, rather than perhaps gameflying it some day. Too boring.

I played the closed beta, and i have to say i like the environment and stuff but when it comes to car handling especially when turning its a no-no. It's like the back end of the car goes flying to the side as if there is no grip on the back tyres at all.

Edited by EternalChaos72

I played the closed beta, and i have to say i like the environment and stuff but when it comes to car handling especially when turning its a no-no. It's like the back end of the car goes flying to the side as if there is no grip on the back tyres at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-a0WqDMMq0

Yup, they really need to fix the handling before release.

• Like 1

While Ubisofts point does make sense, this still seems like a rather dumb idea to me. COnsidering their recent history, this doesn't help put the company into a more positive light. Just let the reviewers decide for themselves, they'll be smart enough to see there's no reason to review it as it is now. Do it like this and you'll just hurt your reputation even further for no reason at all.

• Like 1

While Ubisofts point does make sense, this still seems like a rather dumb idea to me. COnsidering their recent history, this doesn't help put the company into a more positive light. Just let the reviewers decide for themselves, they'll be smart enough to see there's no reason to review it as it is now. Do it like this and you'll just hurt your reputation even further for no reason at all.

Exactly this. They may have a point, and the game can't be properly reviewed without playing the online stuff. But not letting people review the game until launch day is not going to help them. It looks very shady. Some people can easily think Ubisoft is hiding the game from reviewers because it's buggy, broken, or just sucks, and they don't want you to cancel your pre order.

I say, just let it be reviewed. Let the people who receive copies know that they are not playing all the features. I'm sure it can be reviewed on the solo stuff alone, and the online stuff later.

Exactly this. They may have a point, and the game can't be properly reviewed without playing the online stuff. But not letting people review the game until launch day is not going to help them. It looks very shady. Some people can easily think Ubisoft is hiding the game from reviewers because it's buggy, broken, or just sucks, and they don't want you to cancel your pre order.

I say, just let it be reviewed. Let the people who receive copies know that they are not playing all the features. I'm sure it can be reviewed on the solo stuff alone, and the online stuff later.

I definitely see where you guys are coming from and I agree with some points and disagree with others. I don't agree that reviewers are smart enough to realize that it shouldn't be reviewed until the community is there, they make their money from views and if you have your review out days or hours before your competition, you're going to get more views.

I can also see how it seems a little shady for Ubisoft to do this but on the other hand, they, unlike many other developers, have actually released a demo (or beta) on the PS Store for all PS+ members to download. So that means people interested in the game can play it first to see if it interests them which is good for everybody.

Parker 

I definitely see where you guys are coming from and I agree with some points and disagree with others. I don't agree that reviewers are smart enough to realize that it shouldn't be reviewed until the community is there, they make their money from views and if you have your review out days or hours before your competition, you're going to get more views.

I can also see how it seems a little shady for Ubisoft to do this but on the other hand, they, unlike many other developers, have actually released a demo (or beta) on the PS Store for all PS+ members to download. So that means people interested in the game can play it first to see if it interests them which is good for everybody.

Parker

I haven't played the demo, so I don't know if it has these social features they talk about. If it doesn't, then how is the demo any different from an early review? Yes, you do get to actually play the game yourself, and feel the controls. But, if they are willing to release a demo without the features, then why can't they let reviews come out early? If, supposedly, you can't judge the game based on early reviews (because they didn't experience the full thing) then you shouldn't be able to trust the demo either.

I haven't played the demo, so I don't know if it has these social features they talk about. If it doesn't, then how is the demo any different from an early review? Yes, you do get to actually play the game yourself, and feel the controls. But, if they are willing to release a demo without the features, then why can't they let reviews come out early? If, supposedly, you can't judge the game based on early reviews (because they didn't experience the full thing) then you shouldn't be able to trust the demo either.

I haven't played the demo yet either (I will download it tonight) but even if it doesn't have the social features it can still give players an idea of what the game is about, car physics and things of that nature. A review, on the other hand, should be about reviewing the game and all the features that go with it so if multiplayer or social features is something that is at the core of the game, that should be reflected in the review. In my opinion, at least. 

Hopefully the demo includes social features though, it would only make sense. If I'm not mistaken the earlier Beta did so I am going to assume this one will too. 

Parker

• Like 1

The obvious solution is for staged reviews. Let the reviewers put out an early review, and update it once the community becomes populated.

That way, if the underlying game mechanics or driving physics or whatever (depending on the game) is bad/good, the reviewers can say so. They can come back and give a final score after launch.

Doing it Ubi's way creates the (possibly false) impression that they have something to hide. IMO.

Well,  umm...because they are fun...?

Why don't you see the appeal of driving with cars you will never have a chance to drive irl? =D

Had a go in a friend's souped up something or other once - if I cared about cars I might have noted what it was - it did 0-60mph in about 4s. Had those horrible bucket seats which weren't big enough for my backside. Thing went like a rocket once I put my foot down though. It was exhilarating, but you'd never get that feeling from a game. That acceleration was huge, and I can't see how you'd get that from a game unless your sofa was on really fast wheels.