First console you ever had?

AJ Maciejewski

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Amiga if we count that, if not, Master System.

Master System had Sonic loaded into it, which was the better one.  If you had Alex the Kidd you dipped out.  

I remember back in the day, Stan the Van would drive around much like an ice cream truck would, and the back was loaded with all the games a child could think of.  Could go in there, rent a game for a week and he'd come back next week and you'd repeat the cycle.  Thinking back, it was a very impressive thing to do, and charging £4.50 per week in 1992 was a lot of money - but still cheaper than the £44.99 cartridges.

He lasted all the way through the Mega Drive era, and then fell off the face of the earth, like all independent games retailers.

Amiga had bona fide masterpieces I had the pleasure of playing.  Worms, Legend: Four Crystals of Trazere, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Skeleton Krew, Heimdall, Secret of Monkey Island, Cannon Fodder, Wing Commander are the immediate ones that spring forth.

Maybe its the young mind of a child, open to everything and not tainted with the cynicism of reality, but no other game has come close to the enrapturing experiences the Amiga gave me.