First console you ever had?

AJ Maciejewski

• 4 years later...

Our family had both a PC and an Amiga for years before, but the OG Game Boy was the first thing I got for my very own, for my eighth birthday. I got Asterix alongside it as my very first game. I scrounged up a decent collection of other games before half of them mysteriously disappeared in the First Great Video Game Disappearance Mystery of my life. I either lost them (and I'm the fastidious type that pretty much knows where I have 90% of the things I own at any given time) or they were stolen by an acquaintance of a schoolmate of mine. Said schoolmate's friend also once killed a cat by trapping it in a tent and kicking and throwing rocks at it. Needless to say, it's far beyond the capacities of a comparatively average to accuse a proven psychopath of stolen game hardware. I still have the Game Boy... it's the model with a translucent shell so it's still got visible crumbs from long-discontinued snack items around the D-pad area. Heck, it probably still works, for all I know.

A few years later, the SNES became my first non-handheld, albeit not mine alone; me and my siblings saved up money to buy our neighbour's one after they bought a PSOne. I still catch the occasional bit of shit at family gatherings for being the one to inadvertently lose it; I lent it to a trusted friend when I got a bit heavier into PS2 (for those keeping score, the N64 was the first console belonged to me alone) and beyond, who swears on his life it was taken as collateral by a drug dealer whom my friends' roommate owed money. Just went right in there and took anything not nailed down. I don't know what to make of it in terms of veracity and all, but there ya go. As the SNES is my favourite console (just beating out PS2 and PS4) my soul has been incomplete ever since that day; I'd like to own one again someday.

Heh, these stories of mine are pretty outlandish, and I wouldn't blame you if you don't believe me. It's funny how two thirds of the strangest things to ever happen to me are game related, though; I've had a pretty safe life, otherwise.

...Oh yeah, and the third thing? Our drunkard lodger tried to kill my sister and me. True story.

Gameboy Color (Yellow), my mom and I loved that thing. I think Kirby's Dreamland was also my first game that I actually finished.

I lost it on vacation, unfortunately.  

As for console, it was the PS2 fat model. Weird to think about why my dad bought it, since all we played were ps1 games. ^^

Backwards compatibility wasn't great either, or maybe my unit had issues ?

I remember that most of the games always froze at a certain part, making it impossible to progress ( e.g. Spyro The Dragon's last island, when entering the first level.) 

Still.. lots of fun memories. 

First game was Sonic 2 on the Genesis at a friends' house but my very first console that I owned was the Gamecube. I still go back and play stuff on that thing. I remember my whole family coming to watch me finally beat Wind Waker because it took years to finish that game. I will always have a soft spot for Nintendo, I just think they've been spamming us with too many Zelda and Mario games for the past couple generations. Playstation has better variety at the moment. Who knows, maybe Nintendo will get back to their old franchises soon.