Dislike any companions?

Gatatog

I have to ask if anyone really doesn't like one or more of the companions in the game. I like most of them but the one that really stands out to me is Solas.

At the start of the game I wasn't sure about him but as I've got to know him, unlike growing closer as I have with most of the others, I just find myself disliking him even more.

My character is a Dalish elf and he makes no attempt to hide how he dislikes the Dalish way, and when it came to that questline with Cole (I won't spoil it) I found Varric talking more sense than he did because his obsession with the fade and spirits just seemed to be getting in the way of what was best.

I'm not a big fan of Vivienne either but the only one I really couldn't care less about is Solas.

Sera is so annoying, I was seriously considering not recruiting her (but I did because I'm a trophy whore), her 'quirky' attitude is really grating after a while. Also Vivienne, who loves to disagree with everything I choose to do. 

Merril from DA2 still takes the cake for worst party member in a Dragon Age game though, Im happy to say that inquisition's cast is the best so far.

Edited by Saltyie

Cole. I don't really dislike him personally, but ever since i've let him into the party everyone else has been all "you shouldn't have let Cole into the party, he'll probably end up killing us all".

Both Vivienne and Sera have both very likeable and annoying moments. Personally, i love Vivienne's interactions with Iron Bull.

Don't really care about either Solas or Blackwall, they might as well die.

Everyone else is cool.

when it came to that questline with Cole (I won't spoil it) I found Varric talking more sense than he did because his obsession with the fade and spirits just seemed to be getting in the way of what was best.

You should talk to Cole afterwards. He says how much happier he is and how much better he feels and how thankful he is to you, that you've let him be truer to who he is now. Varric's way gets his memories back, and he understands humans more, but he becomes more conflicted and relatively unhappier as a result.

What's best for Cole and what you think is best for Cole are two different things. You're doing the exact same thing you accuse Solas of doing, in that you're dismissing alternative ways of living because you can't imagine an existence otherwise is worthwhile.

You should talk to Cole afterwards. He says how much happier he is and how much better he feels and how thankful he is to you, that you've let him be truer to who he is now. Varric's way gets his memories back, and he understands humans more, but he becomes more conflicted and relatively unhappier as a result.

What's best for Cole and what you think is best for Cole are two different things. You're doing the exact same thing you accuse Solas of doing, in that you're dismissing alternative ways of living because you can't imagine an existence otherwise is worthwhile.

I didn't claim to know what was best for Cole or that the route I chose was better for him, just that Solas' didn't seem interested in any other way than the one that further fed his obsession with all things to do with the fade and spirits. To me it just feels like he's so involved with all things magical that he doesn't really care about the "human" side. He seems so stuck into his obsession that everything else comes second.

I didn't claim to know what was best for Cole or that the route I chose was better for him, just that Solas' didn't seem interested in any other way than the one that further fed his obsession with all things to do with the fade and spirits. To me it just feels like he's so involved with all things magical that he doesn't really care about the "human" side. He seems so stuck into his obsession that everything else comes second.

But the thing is, he's right. Cole is a spirit, and a spirit of Compassion at that. Killing someone out of vengeance would be thoroughly apposite to his nature, and we all know what happens to spirits who are forced to do things against their nature, as seen in Solas' own personal quest. That Varric insists to let Cole do what he wants instead of forgiving speaks of Varric's ignorance rather than Solas' stubbornness.

Edited by Voragoras

SPOILERS BELOW (if you haven't completed the game):

The cool thing about this game is I, pretty much, liked every supporting character unlike DA2 where I disliked them all save Varric. Sera is the only character that annoyed me initially but she grew on me a bit. 

1) Vivienne - I enjoyed her character. The mixture of considerable power with high society Orlaisian game playing made her extremely interesting.

2) Varric - Awesome character, great stories and his rhetoric with Cassandra later on is funny (ie: the "book" issue).

3) Iron Bull - He cracked me up. Dude is a severe meat head but also so blunt while being respectful. His conversations with Vivienne are hilarious (seriously, give it a try if you haven't, it's funny. He's like a little boy with his Mother). 

4) Cassandra - I have always liked Cassandra. She's strong but, at the same time, still a woman and still has her romance/love desires, etc. I found her to be believable as a character and that made talking to her more fluid and real.

5) Cole - Meh.... he's okay. A bit annoying but still an interesting addition in that he is not what he seems (no spoilers given). The whole "side jobs" he was doing around SH made me want to tell him to stop but I didn't incase something manifested from them (nothing did). 

6) Dorian - I found him to be really cool which surprised me. The addition of a Tevinter Mage into the fray, his story additions, his dialogue during specific missions (Temple of Mythal VERY specifically - awesome dialogue) and his willingness (Unlike fucking Anders in DA2) to not bother the crap out of me with his man love talks once I rejected him made him a great character in my book. In other words, he was cool with me being straight unlike Anders. How dare you Bioware for forcing me into such situations during my get away time! On topic though, cool character and seriously amazing added spec (Necromancy) when you get them added. I recommend using him if not wanting to use Vivienne or Solas.

7) Solas - In my view, he is the most interesting character. When I first saw him I said to myself "who is this Dracula looking MF'er" but, after talking to him, hearing his tales and his positions, the guy is cool, wise, and legitimately one of the best characters I have ran into in the DA universe. Very interesting stories (extremely) and bringing him with you when you go to the Temple of Mythal & the Fade open some cool dialogue choices.

8) Blackwall - SPOILERS! When I first met Blackwall and time went on, I said to myself "this guy is an imposter". I am not trying to blow myself but, I truly did. It was fairly obvious given the events with the Wardens and it not effecting him so I knew something would come to a head. All in all, he was an intriguing character as he was a criminal, but a respected military leader, but a con man, but an honorable man, but a loyal man, but a man with a bad past, but a man who made me think twice about execution (I didn't - I kept him and told him he would go to the Wardens after the events). If you really think about all I just explained - that is one hell of a combination in a person.

9) Sera - I just didn't really like her. From "cookies", to her incessant complaining, to her hypocrisy that is glaring, she annoyed me. Like I said earlier, she grew on me a bit, but overall, she just...... blah..... that's about all I can really say on Sera as I never brought her with me so didn't hear her mission dialogues.

10) Cullen - Awesome. I find it utterly cool that we see this guys progression through 3 games. From imprisoned Templar begging for the Right of Annulment to take place while trapped in an energy field, to Captain who was willing to kill run away Mages but also defend Hawke, to being a front line and respected General of the Inquisition. That is one hell of a ride. I was a bit concerned when they decided to add him as the military commander but he quelled all my concerns early. He is an excellent General.

11) Flemeth - One of, if not the best, character ever in any game. Enough said on that. She is so awesome I hope we see more of her down the line in a more star filled role. I am sure it won't happen but here's to hoping. I know she isn't a supporting character but I had to add her because she's awesome.

UPDATE: I have completed the Templar side and have a new found like/respect for Cole. I won't give away spoilers to those who wish to see all storyline/lore additions but, suffice to say, he plays a massive role in it and once you go that route (Templar choice) you too may come to like him a whole lot more. With the mages he just appears but after running the Templar side it's way more obvious how he integrates and I have to say my opinion has changed. 

Edited by medcsu

Both Solas and Dorian are pretty uninteresting as far as character interactions and party combat companions. Vivian isn't that great as a character but i like using her in my party on the field. Varric is the opposite, where i like talking to him at the base but have no interest in bringing him to battle.

Sera and Cassandra are my favorites so far.

Solas I seemed to be getting along with in the beginning but by the end we did not see eye to eye at all. 

Vivienne I did not like from the start and the more I got to know her the less I liked her.  I think it stems from her devotion to the circle even though she does not really operate within it anymore.  She has a suite in the royal palace and is as close to nobility as a mage can become.  She's supports cages because she no longer needs to remain in one. 

Sera it took me almost the whole game for me to decide if she was annoying or fun.  Eventually I went with fun.

Cole I thought was very well written and I enjoyed having him in my party as I think his party banter with anyone is probably the pound for pound best.

Dorian seemed like a rouge in a mages body, like some weird combination between Anders from awakenings and robin hood.  I didn't have much use for him in my own mage playthrough but he was my favorite mage to have along for my warrior/rouge runs

Blackwall seemed pretty boring to me at first, but the more things I did for him the far more interesting he became.

Varric is Varric  The dialogue is not quite as strong as in DA2 but he is fun to listen no matter who he's talking to

Iron Bull is fun incarnate  I was also amazed that it was Freddie Prince Jr doing the voice since I hated James Vega so much and was shock at how good of job he did with the character.

Cassandra was my first playthrough romance and in my opinion one of the best written characters in the series.  She seemed the most realistic and natural and moments that were either funny, serious or remorseful all worked very well.

All in all my second favorite cast after origins.

Edited by Sypher-KoS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I liked all of them, or well I found them all interesting! Unlike DA2 where the likes of *not important elf mage girl no.13* where just...meh. But if I could choose just one than it would be Cole. Don't get me wrong he is really interesting and has some wicked moments but half of the time I CANNOT UNDERSTAND HIM. Now I know why he is like that don't get me wrong it's just that if you space out for a moment you will have no idea what he is talking about. The others are awesome but I wish Cullen was a companion :( He was like an S&M version of Alistair! 

I accidently missed out on recruiting Vivienne so I don't know what shes like, but I'm not really that keen on sera or solas. they both annoy me sometimes, coles ok but not amazing. I do really like iron bull, dorian and varric. they're the ones I almost always take out on my missions with me.

• 1 month later...

It depends on my character build.

If I play as an apostate elven mage, I will make different choices as when I play as a noble human warrior (at least that's my opinion).

From my perspective, I don't dislike any companion.

But from a character based perspective it changes every situation.

A character that wants to restore order as it were, will like Vivienne.

A character that was raised under a strict code of conduct, will not like Sera.

Edited by Mr_Freaker

I could not stand Cole. Bland and weird. Not quirky funny weird, but get away from me weird. Blackwall too, pretty generic hero type, with such a cliched twist to his story.

Varric feels kinda tacked on, but his chemistry with Cassandra did earn his place.

Solas is odd but interesting, Vivienne is a bitch, but in a charming kinda way. Iron Bull is cool, it's a shame his personality isn't expanded upon more post personal quest.

Cassandra is a bit gruff at first, but opens up and becomes a rather interesting character. She also has some of the best banter, regardless of team mate.

Dorian is such a great character. Witty and passionate, but also surprisingly deep.

Now Sera I adore! She's cheeky, and childish but also down to earth and honest to a colourful degree. If anything, of all the characters in DAI I think she has the most realistic personality considerring her background. She speaks her mind and is full of energy. Like big kid with arrows. I can't understand why so many people don't like her?! I think she's adorable and by far my favourite character in the game.

Edited by Holocat_Zer0