Godzilla PS3/PS4 Game Gets N. American Release in Summer 2015

Lady Lilith

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-12-05/godzilla-ps3-ps4-game-gets-n-american-release-in-summer-2015/.81829

Bandai Namco Games announced on Friday that it will release the new Godzilla game on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 in North America in summer 2015. Video game news source IGNposted a video to reveal the announcement.

The game was originally announced for release only in Japan on PlayStation 3. Bandai Namcoannounced that the game is appearing on The Game Awards, which began airing at 9:00 p.m. ET on Friday.

Players will be able to control both the classic TOHO version of the monster and the 2014 American film Godzilla in the game. The game will also feature the Type 92 Maser tanks, Super X 2, Super X III, Super Mecha Godzilla, and MFS-3 — as well as Godzilla's rivals: King Ghidorah, Biollante, Mothra, Mecha Godzilla, Jet Jaguar, Hedorah, and Destoroyah.

The "ultra-destructive Godzilla action" game commemorates the 60th anniversary of the titular monster by letting you play the monster itself against human civilization, as you clear missions by destroying buildings and weapons. The game recreates the camera angles that invoke the sense of scale, the fireworks explosions, and the latest techniques from the original tokusatsu (special effects) films.

Famitsu magazine described a backstory that takes its cues from TOHO's first Godzilla movies: Godzilla, who appeared in Tokyo in 1954 and was brought down by the secret weapon Oxygen Destroyer, has somehow made landfall again. As the players complete missions to destroy civilization, Godzilla will increase size and physical strength. Godzilla starts at 50 meters (164 feet) and can grow to double that size. Players gain points when Godzilla destroys the town, but the resistance from humanity becomes more difficult as the game goes on.

Godzilla for the PlayStation 3 arrives on December 18 for 7,600 yen (about US$64). The first copies of the game will include an early unlock code for the Hollywood Godzilla (2014) as a bonus extra. Pre-orders will include one of three randomly distributed "Heat Up Godzilla" reproductions of theater bonus figurines.

So...it's based on the old 50s movies? Kinda odd for a 2014 game to be based on something so old.  I mean, it's not like I really keep up with Godzilla anymore, I didn't even know there was a new movie out.

Edited by Lady Lilith
  • Like 1

It's probably meant to appeal to people who are already Godzilla fans with the callbacks to the old film being fanservice of sorts. It's also a 60th anniversary title, so it makes sense for it to commemorate Godzilla's early movies despite how long ago they were. I can say as a longtime Godzilla fanatic that I am pretty excited for this game. Doing my best to keep my expectations to a minimum, though.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
7 minutes ago, PSXtreme_ said:

The PS3 version is currently on sale this week (9/5/17 - 9/12/17) over on PSN....Just $12 and change for the complete game.

I'll be picking it up TODAY!

I'd be interested to know if you think the game is as bad as everyone said it is.  I've almost pulled the trigger twice now, during sales, but can't quite bring myself to leave it in my cart.

Just now, IntroPhenom said:

I'd be interested to know if you think the game is as bad as everyone said it is.  I've almost pulled the trigger twice now, during sales, but can't quite bring myself to leave it in my cart.

I'll post my opinions once I get the program d/led. Planning on doing it overnight. It will take a while with my slow as molasses high speed (HAHAHAHAHA) internet speeds. 

Related image

GODZILLA IS MINE!!!!!!

Related image

So far the Destruction mode is mediocre. I'm still trying to figure out why the people at Namco thought it would be a good idea to use the shoulder buttons to turn Godzilla left and right instead of using the right analog stick. It makes for a clunky control scheme to start out.