Overrated plat difficulty?.

edu_gamer

Well because EA decided to give this game for free last week, i decided to pick it up since it was a game that i wanted to play for a long time, i already knew that this was considered a "hard" plat, so I didnt have much faith on getting it,but after 6 days I got it and that got me thinking about the possibility that this is another overrated plat in terms of its difficulty, just like i consider the DMC's to be aswell, Im not trying to say that people unable to get this plat are bad or something like that, I just think that this was not an 8+ difficulty plat, and the main reason people can't get it is either because they didnt liked the game that much, or they didnt get to know how forgiving this game is, I mean, you can die like 2 times during a Speedrun and make some mistakes here and there and you still can get to the end of the level in time, also the Time Trials are Hard as Hell, but the person who decided that the trophie should pop at 50 Stars killed its difficulty ( and earned a rightful place in Heaven if you ask me), this game is forgiving, 8's 9's and 10's aren't. Altought if the plat required 69 Stars at the Time Trials this would be a 9, but 50 Stars and an Easy free Dlc that counts towars the trophie makes me really disagree with the rating people usually give to this game.

P.S:All this being said assuming that you are using a guide to learn the short-cuts.

• Like 1

I absolutely loved this game, but I suck at doing anything fast, so for me the plat is a tricky one. Admittedly I haven't tried again for a number of years (my very first trophy was earned in this game way back in 2008) so I might be better at it now (or not, lol). My huge backlog (100+ games) and the fact I lost the game save in a YLOD prevents me from revisiting it. I still think a minimum of 7 or an 8/10 for difficulty is probably about right, whereas 9 or 10 is too much.

• Like 1

Difficulty is highly subjective anyway. People say WipEout HD is a tough plat too, but once I got Zico out of the way I didn't find it that bad at all, whereas I really struggled with Bioshock Infinite which apparently isn't that difficult.

Mirror's Edge, so far, I would say is worthy of the difficulty rating it's given, if only because Faith never co-operates during time trials. So many times I try and wallrun and she just... doesn't and jumps forwards. Has messed up my run of "Edge"(?) too many times to count.

• Like 2

Well, you may have just gotten lucky. The game is VERY finicky for some people. I stopped playing it because I was constantly missing jumps for no reason, constantly not auto-vaulting, and all kinds of fun stuff. Then when I tried it again, I couldn't even get past the tutorial, because even though I'd do the thing it told me to do, it wouldn't count. So, it's entirely possible that you just got lucky and the game worked properly for you the entire time. Making everything way easier.

Also, difficulty is subjective. Something easy to you, can be difficult for the rest of the world.

• Like 1

Difficulty is highly subjective anyway. People say WipEout HD is a tough plat too, but once I got Zico out of the way I didn't find it that bad at all, whereas I really struggled with Bioshock Infinite which apparently isn't that difficult.

Mirror's Edge, so far, I would say is worthy of the difficulty rating it's given, if only because Faith never co-operates during time trials. So many times I try and wallrun and she just... doesn't and jumps forwards. Has messed up my run of "Edge"(?) too many times to count.

Trought my experience I can tell you that she always co-operates, in fact the real problem is that she sometimes co-operates to much and start grabbing shit that end up slowing you down, also the important thing with wallrun's or side wallrun's is the camera position, sometimes you'll think that going straight and jumping is enough, but that isnt true, you have to look up, if not you sometimes miss.

Well, you may have just gotten lucky. The game is VERY finicky for some people. I stopped playing it because I was constantly missing jumps for no reason, constantly not auto-vaulting, and all kinds of fun stuff. Then when I tried it again, I couldn't even get past the tutorial, because even though I'd do the thing it told me to do, it wouldn't count. So, it's entirely possible that you just got lucky and the game worked properly for you the entire time. Making everything way easier.

Also, difficulty is subjective. Something easy to you, can be difficult for the rest of the world.

The tutorial problem also happened to me, the thing is that you see Celeste doing a Wallrun, but you have to do a side wallrun, I freaked out when that happened to me, this games has tracking problems, but not with Faith actions, the problems are the pipes and that type of tings, especially in Chapter 2.

Can't stress this enough.

You feel like this game is easy, some people find it hard, just like you could struggle on a kid's game. You can't quantify difficulty in a way that applies to every single individual.

Oh boy i didnt found this Easy trust me, but i dont think is that Hard because of the Trophie requirements.

I absolutely loved this game, but I suck at doing anything fast, so for me the plat is a tricky one. Admittedly I haven't tried again for a number of years (my very first trophy was earned in this game way back in 2008) so I might be better at it now (or not, lol). My huge backlog (100+ games) and the fact I lost the game save in a YLOD prevents me from revisiting it. I still think a minimum of 7 or an 8/10 for difficulty is probably about right, whereas 9 or 10 is too much.

I also suck doing things fast, for example, i couldn't beat any ghost in Motorstorm PR, thats one of the reasons Im still surprise that i got this Plat, Backlog's are a gift, I remenber that without Plus I only experienced that sensation on Christmas, i agree with the 7 on difficulty, maybe a 7.5, but not an 8, the problem is that in the Platinum Difficulty Poll, the average was like 8.26, but with a lot of trolling in the votes, giving 1's or 2's.

Nah I think the rating is spot on. I'm by no means an amazing gamer, but I do find the speedruns and time trials challenging. You need to be well coordinated to have any chance at this game in my opinion.

I think 7 would be a little low. 9 would be a bit much. Hmm, nah I think 8 is right. It's all subjective though.

• Like 1

Getting platinum is easy peasy lemon squeazy, but getting 100% now that's the hard part

I wouldn't say that getting 100% is "Hard", "almost impossible" suit that challengue more.

Nah I think the rating is spot on. I'm by no means an amazing gamer, but I do find the speedruns and time trials challenging. You need to be well coordinated to have any chance at this game in my opinion.

I think 7 would be a little low. 9 would be a bit much. Hmm, nah I think 8 is right. It's all subjective though.

I can accept an 8, but this game gets higher ratings overall everywhere, I think im being objective with this, I believe that most people find this plat to be very hard because they didn't put the time to undestand how forgiving this game is.

For me it is a 5 or 6/10.

Hardest part was only Speedrun on chapter 9.

I did it of course with no help of videos or shortcuts given from anywhere. I did it by myself ;)

Just learn to controll Faith perfect first before you starting speedruns :)

Forgot to mention chapter 2 with 11 min. Long training for them.

Edited by Dennis-nine-five

• 2 months later...

I say 7.5/10. When you first play this game it can be very difficult at first, but once you spend enough time with it and learn the mechanics, it's not all that bad. The speedruns and time trials are a pain but again, once you practice them enough and learn the fastest routes, they are definitely doable. Just takes patience.

Edited by youthCAT1590

yeah, I assumed I would never plat this game when i borrowed it from a friend a few years ago, but after replaying it this past week (also dl'd it for free) it's not too bad at all. I think the percentage is so low because the plat isn't just based on knowledge or tricks: knowing the short cuts doesn't mean you'll be able to execute all of them and put together a good run (and there's a little bit of a luck/fluke factor too). Not to mention it's probably a semi popular game / owned by lots of people who don't necessarily care about trophies.

So definitely not the hardest plat I've ever gotten, but still a good challenge. The main thing for me was that progress was consistent: I did get hung up on a few time trials but never to the point that it completely stalled my progression towards the platinum. At least the game is super short, imagine how rare it would be if it was any more grindy, Lol. Still, I don't have too many ultra rare plats/trophies so it was nice to add some :D

lol, who says Mass Effect 2 is easy? Straightforward, yes, but anyone who says they breezed through Insanity difficulty is surely lying. All encounters with the Collectors (Horizon, Collector Ship, Suicide Mission) were like taking an angle grinder to the balls

As others have said, difficulty is more subjective. One example would be Vanquish: Some people have issues with challenge #4 and challenge #6, but most find all six overly difficult. The reason challenge #4 is one of least favorites is the environment is extremely small and mobility is extremely limited since you are in such a tight space with a lot of enemies. Not to sound rude, but that is nothing compared to challenge #6. While challenge #4 is difficult due to space, challenge #6 gives you space, but instead hordes you against the toughest enemies in the game on each wave. 

Back OT, my suggestion to you OP is to play the game yourself and base the platinum on your personal preference. I have yet to play the game, though have heard the platinum was quite daunting, but tedious due to the speed-runs. 

• 4 weeks later...

I found it very overrated, it was my first platinum and I did it very casually over a few weeks even though I couldn't get on the PS3 often. I didn't refer to guides at all and did it before people found out about all of these new techniques that help a ton. When I got the DLC I got not just to 90 but all 99 stars the same day, just because I enjoyed the game. I think people who time trial or speedrun games often will find little difficulty with it, but others will hit a wall easily, because it does require a bit of patience and trial & error.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well because EA decided to give this game for free last week, i decided to pick it up since it was a game that i wanted to play for a long time, i already knew that this was considered a "hard" plat, so I didnt have much faith on getting it,but after 6 days I got it and that got me thinking about the possibility that this is another overrated plat in terms of its difficulty, just like i consider the DMC's to be aswell, Im not trying to say that people unable to get this plat are bad or something like that, I just think that this was not an 8+ difficulty plat, and the main reason people can't get it is either because they didnt liked the game that much, or they didnt get to know how forgiving this game is, I mean, you can die like 2 times during a Speedrun and make some mistakes here and there and you still can get to the end of the level in time, also the Time Trials are Hard as Hell, but the person who decided that the trophie should pop at 50 Stars killed its difficulty ( and earned a rightful place in Heaven if you ask me), this game is forgiving, 8's 9's and 10's aren't. Altought if the plat required 69 Stars at the Time Trials this would be a 9, but 50 Stars and an Easy free Dlc that counts towars the trophie makes me really disagree with the rating people usually give to this game.

P.S:All this being said assuming that you are using a guide to learn the short-cuts

Well you've unlocked Bloody Feet from Guitar Hero Hits, so I'm guessing you're just a master at everything  :D

Still yet to play Mirror's Edge myself, but I really need to.

I tried that Chapter 2 speedrun about 100 times.... I just found that impossible.

Really good game, though

Have you gotten it yet ?

There's a trick at the beginning of this level that requires some mastering, but shaves of a ton of time.

You can jump over the fence in only one combo if you speed jump on the trashcan and then immediately do a normal jump towards the wall, this will allow for a wall run over the fence.

Same goes for the descent into the sewers, you can skip a few stories by wall running down at the correct times, you can look it up on youtube.

And remember to do the sideways jump to get instant top speed on straight pieces :) Hope this helps

Edited by DarKNesS_X

Nota

P.S:All this being said assuming that you are using a guide to learn the short-cuts.

I've always hear about how difficult this game was but a week ago I bought it on sale from the psn store and I start playing it WITHOUT guides apart from the sidejump boost and I have almost finish it. I'm missing just a trophy that I will get probably tomorrow. It's one of the most overrated game. But at least it's a good game to play and an easy ultra rare trophy :)

I tried that Chapter 2 speedrun about 100 times.... I just found that impossible.

Really good game, though

Strange I find it to be one of the easier 'cause of the amount of time you have to complete it anyway learn the sidejump boost its really useful :)

lol, who says Mass Effect 2 is easy? Straightforward, yes, but anyone who says they breezed through Insanity difficulty is surely lying. All encounters with the Collectors (Horizon, Collector Ship, Suicide Mission) were like taking an angle grinder to the balls

I agree, ME3 was a relieve  since douchy Harbinger wasn't overpowering anyone, but I think that some classes were powerful enough to make the game really manageable if you knew how to exploit the abilities, for example using a fully maxed Sentinel made you almost invincible since you could pop a Shield every 12 seconds that damaged the enemies when destroyed.

Well you've unlocked Bloody Feet from Guitar Hero Hits, so I'm guessing you're just a master at everything  :D

Still yet to play Mirror's Edge myself, but I really need to.

I wish  -_- , this is your second comment on this Topic in 5 Months, so you should really try the game already  :P .

Hmm for the speedruns just watch prilt's tutorials, he's pro at this game, he guides you through each one and makes these speedruns a lot easier. In terms of plat difficulty I'd give it a solid 7/10

Yeah his guides where the ones I used, he really underperformed on those guides though, I thought he was average untill I saw him at SpeedDemonsArchives and the guy just blew my mind, I mean he completed the game 46 minutes  :jaymon: .

• Like 1