What are your opinions on Ubisoft after a disastrous 2014?

Goro

If you had have asked me about my opinions on Ubisoft this time last year, i would have only had positive things to say about them, but one year on, after the launch of Watch_Dogs, AC Unity, Far Cry 4 & The Crew, my opinion has drastically changed.

Ubisoft have managed to mess up almost every AAA game release this year, first we had Watch_Dogs, which had a massive graphical downgrade and then failed miserably to live up to the expectations it set for itself. Next, we had Assassin's Creed: Unity, do i really need to say much here? The game was the most controversial launch of 2014 and for all the wrong reasons. Next we had Far Cry 4, although i didn't enjoy this quite as much as Far Cry 3 and i think it should have had an extra year of development time, i actually thought this was a pretty decent game until they released patch 1.5.0 on the PC and now it's been unplayable for me since December 8th as it crashes within a minute of booting it up. Finally we had The Crew, although i haven't played this one myself, i've watched many reviews and from what i've heard and seen, it is completely rigged with bugs and other issues just like in AC Unity.

Then, after all of these horrific launches in 2014, Ubisoft go ahead and confirm Assassin's Creed: Victory for a 2015 release within a fortnight of Unity's tragic release, are you kidding me? You gotta fix Unity before even thinking about another Assassin's Creed game release.

The worst part is they probably won't even learn from their mistakes and will likely release Far Cry 5 along with another 2 AC games in 2015 because they prioritize money over their reputation.

I feel sorry for anybody who is looking forward to The Division right now as it's almost surely going to disappoint just like almost every AAA Ubisoft game release in 2014.

The only good things to come from Ubisoft this year are Valiant Hearts: The Great War & Child of Light, those 2 games were absolutely fantastic and i'm looking forward to the next UbiArt Framework game.

Anyways, that's my opinion, now i want to hear yours!

Thanks!

Edited by Bigfoot
  • Like 1

I enjoyed Watch Dogs. I had no expectations of it being the greatest open world game of all time. It was just a hacker open world game, and that's what we got. As for graphics, what did you expect from a cross gen game? 

Unity, I've yet to play this myself... but with a game as large as it is, with the new engine, combined with not only having 1:1 scale buildings, but also interiors in 1/3 or so of the buildings. If you seriously expect a game such as this to run 100% smoothly... you must be out of your mind. It would be quite hard to find each and every bug within the game... I do believe they could have spent more time on Q and A... and Ubisoft has issued an apology, and is giving people free dlc, and those with the season pass... a free game.,,,

Far Cry 4.... the only argument I really see is it is quite similar to Far Cry 3.... which is crazy right, I mean since it is a sequel and all.

They only confirmed Assassin's Creed Victory after a leak. The leak wasn't an official release from Ubisoft... and if they denied that the game was in production, they would look much worse than they already do... and it's also being made by a different studio that Ubisoft owns.... Unity is still being patched by the devs... which they've said they are fully focused on patching Unity.

In conclusion, Ubisoft's the bad guy... they've done nothing good for the gaming community... Haven't apologized for their mistakes... and are the worst company ever. 

Edited by KratosTheMighty
  • Like 2

I can't say much more, but "I agree" with most this and seriously? AC series died at Ezio and Lucy backstabbing. After that, everything has been bullshit imo. Meeting 16 in the Animus? Seriously?

I liked AC:L though, it was pure AC with no backstory bullshit. Not much of a creed either.

I enjoyed Watch Dogs. I had no expectations of it being the greatest open world game of all time. It was just a hacker open world game, and that's what we got.

I can say the same. I never board the hype train (never buy a game on launch) and I really enjoyed WD, although the drinking game was too long and boring (did it post patch) and pointless (you don't unlock shit by doing it, not even a car? Just a mere trophy). I also thought that 40 fixer contracts was too much as they were too similar imo.

Edited by TheYuriG

I enjoyed Watch Dogs. I had no expectations of it being the greatest open world game of all time. It was just a hacker open world game, and that's what we got. As for graphics, what did you expect from a cross gen game? 

I expected it to have the same graphics they showed in the E3 2012 trailer, if they can't live up to what they show then they're only setting us up to be disappointed.

Unity, I've yet to play this myself... but with a game as large as it is, with the new engine, combined with not only having 1:1 scale buildings, but also interiors in 1/3 or so of the buildings. If you seriously expect a game such as this to run 100% smoothly... you must be out of your mind. It would be quite hard to find each and every bug within the game... I do believe they could have spent more time on Q and A... and Ubisoft has issued an apology, and is giving people free dlc, and those with the season pass... a free game.,,,

I didn't expect the game to run 100% smoothly but i expected it to run at least 75% smoothly but it couldn't even manage that. An apology doesn't make it alright if they're not going to learn from their mistakes and they proved they aren't by failing to delay The Crew when they clearly knew it wasn't going to run smoothly.

Far Cry 4.... the only argument I really see is it is quite similar to Far Cry 3.... which is crazy right, I mean since it is a sequel and all.

Well i don't know about you but i see it as a pretty big problem when i can't even play a game one month after it's launch because of constant crashing.

Edited by Bigfoot

Ubisoft pulled some dumb shit this year, mostly with their marketing. How much of this was their fault and how much wasn't is up to debate, just as to what degree they actually deserve the treatment they're getting right now. What they lacked was focus. First they try to get us all hyped up for Watch Dogs by showing graphics they could never actually make work on the finished product, then they try justifying the graphical downgrades of AC Unity. I feel the leaking of AC Victory is more important in this matter than one might think. Everyone really knew they were already working on the next AC, but the info came right when people were complaining about Unity being an unfinished product. Before this, the public image of Ubisoft was more that of a company that doesn't really know what it is doing, but after the leak the public opinion shifted more in the direction of Ubisoft being a company that only seems like they don't know what they're doing because in the end, they don't care about what you think of them since you'll buy their shit anyway.

These issues could be pointed out in most of Ubisoft's competition as well, but Ubisoft just happened to have the biggest target strapped on top of their heads when the metaphorical flame arrows were fired. It's not entirely fair, yet i don't feel the least bit bad about them since after all, they are very much guilty of these crimes.

So, as of now, Ubisoft's become the new EA and i assume their future will reflect EA's present. Everybody will hate them for a few years even though that won't do shit to their massive sales, then we find ourselves a new target and crucify them next. The circle of life continues.

Edited by HappyKastanie
  • Like 3

It was also bad that Ubisoft downgraded the graphics of Unity because people complained it wasn't the same as the Xbox One version. Watch Dogs was to much of a hyped gameplay even though it wasn't as bad as Destiny, but if they can improve the story and gameplay of Watch Dogs 2 it will be a good game. As for the future of Ubisoft they will probably milk the Assassins Creed, Far Cry, and Watch Dogs. Hopefully they come out with more games like Child of Light.

`game

My opinion of Ubisoft sank after AC Brotherhood. That was the point where it was obvious they were beginning to sell out, and stop caring about making good games. I gave them another chance with ACIII and Rayman Origins, but neither one really impressed me. ACIII actively annoyed me. They've just been going farther and farther downhill since.

Now, it just seems like their laziness is catching up to them. They're having to put forth work that they haven't really had to do in years, and it shows.

I love Ubisoft games, specially Assassin's Creed, but this year, Unity was full of bugs, I admit, it was a excellent game, but they did it so fast that they even had time to correct the game issues, in 1 year they launch Unity and Rogue, and also Far Cry 4, they are worried in launching games fast and I'm not liking that, they should make the games slower in my opinion.

If a game is good and it is made in 1 year, then if they work on the game for 2 or 3 years it will be even better!

With this actions, Ubisoft is losing fans, they should slow down the production of games and make people apreciate more a game instead of launching game after game and make people be tired of games really fast.

If you guys don't like of what I said, don't be mad, it's just my opinion, everyone has one.

t-i-g-o.png

Edited by t-i-g-o
  • Like 1

Still better than EA IMHO.

If we're talking 2014 alone then i would have to disagree.

Excluding sports games, EA have only launched 2  AAA games this year.

The first game was Titanfall which lived up to the expectations and received pretty good reviews, despite it not being released on PlayStation.

The second game was Dragon Age: Inquisition which exceeded expectations and even won the GOTY award!

EA also delayed Battlefield: Hardline because they knew it wasn't ready, something Ubisoft consistently failed to do.

• Like 1

Ubisoft have not had the best year, they continue to rush there games and they release them unfinished. Having said that I am still a big fan of there work, I am a big Assassin's Creed fan and enjoyed Unity for the most part, the bugs did not spoil my enjoyment of the game. It's definitely not one of the best in the series but it is still a decent game that would have been better with more development time.

I own Far Cry 4 but have not had time to play it yet but it is another series I enjoy so there is no doubt that I will like the game. Other Ubisoft games that I like are Child of Light, Valient Hearts and the Rayman games.

There's no doubt that they need to get there act together and release games when they are completely finished. But despite this the gaming industry would be a lot worse without them IMO.

• Like 1

Same as it's always been. Sure, they regularly release unfinished games and manage to make each release even more full of glitches than the last but I still enjoy their games. Far Cry 4 was great, I've liked most of the Assassin's Creed games, Child of Light looks like a pretty cool game.

So overall I'll can put up with their bullshit if they continue to make games that interest me. Just please don't make Far Cry a yearly thing. I don't want them to zap the fun out of it like they did with AC.

Can't say it has changed much. They make some weird decisions sometimes and seem to release unfinished games these days, but they're not any worse than other big companies in that regard. The important thing is that despite all the BS the games are still enjoyable.

Watch Dogs was... OK, I fully expect the inevitable sequel to be as much of an improvement to the game as AC2 was to AC1. FC4 was great fun and was exactly what I wanted it to be: more of the same gameplay I liked in FC3 in a new interesting environment. I like AC games but I'm not too upset about Unity being a bugfest since I won't be playing it for a while, I usually buy them a year after release and hopefully the biggest problems are patched by then. Child of Light was a nice JRPG-influenced experience and from what I've seen Valiant Hearts will be right up my alley once I get it.

I have already been mad at Ubisoft before 2014, ever since

• ACIII made me wait half a year due to an inaccessibly placed pivot
  • AC: Liberation corroded my save and made me replay the whole story

but I plan on buying Far Cry 4. And maybe I'll even try Watch Dogs when it is cheaper :lol:

I think Ubisoft just followed what other big companies (yea, I'm looking at you, EA) have been doing for some time... and that is releasing half-assed big titles.

That's why I don't play most AAA titles. It's just AAA in name not in product.

I do plan to play Watch_Dogs and The Crew (I wouldn't mind Ubisoft becoming a racing games developer xD), though. 

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

Then, after all of these horrific launches in 2014, Ubisoft go ahead and confirm Assassin's Creed: Victory for a 2015 release within a fortnight of Unity's tragic release, are you kidding me? You gotta fix Unity before even thinking about another Assassin's Creed game release.

30w8jmx.jpg

10sgmxk.jpg

• Like 4

After 13 days, i still can't even play Far Cry 4 due to a bug and Ubisoft seem to have no interest in fixing it. Instead they're just advertising the next DLC so they can get some more money.

maybe you changed something you weren't aware of or accidentally picked up a virus (guessing you're talking about a PC) but im sorry, but you don't seem to be accepting any argument at all. They delayed every game but Far Cry 4 that you mentioned, the main GOTY is IGNs and they haven't decided yet, Titanfall was a massive fail and did get high reviews, but that was down for only playing a few hours, after the novelty wears off, the gameplay doesnt change and it ends up just being dry, but the reviewers didn't play long enough to know these issues. Watch_Dogs was overhyped which is kind of our fault for getting too hyped about it that no game could live up to it, and as for unity, after the day one patch, I've had a consistent 25-30fps, and the only bug Ive seen is an npc not properly rendered for a couple of seconds then fixing itself and overall a great game. Far Cry 4 is a lot like Far Cry 3 which is no bad thing as it is what fans really want and is what a sequel really is.