Netflix Movies Disappearing 2015: Over 60 Movies And TV Shows Expiring In January

Lady Lilith

http://www.ibtimes.com/netflix-movies-disappearing-2015-over-60-movies-tv-shows-expiring-january-1764296

netflix-expiring-january-2015.jpg?itok=i

Several titles will expire from Netflix in January 2015 including "Love Actually," "My Girl" and "Rocky IV."  Reuters

Jan. 1 marks the end of the Christmas season for many people – including Netflix. The streaming service will ditch “Love Actually” along with more than 60 other titles on New Year's Day, Vulture reports.

The 2003 film is a modern Christmas classic for many movie watchers. The film follows several intertwined love stories on Christmas Eve with an all-star cast including Keira Knightley, Hugh Grant, Alan Rickman, Bill Nighy, Emma Thompson and more. The format sparked a trend with movies like “Valentine’s Day,” “New Year’s Eve” and “What To Expect When You’re Expecting” following similar layouts with various interwoven stories and large casts. Some might be upset to see it go, but it’s one of a few recent films to expire in January 2015.

Netflix will also take “Taylor Swift: Journey to Fearless” off on Jan. 1. It seems Spotify isn’t the onlySwift-less streaming service. Swift’s 2010 special consisted of three parts, but fans will have to watch before 2015 if they want to see Swift before she left country for pop.

Those who are fans of old classics will also have to deal with many losses. Many classic film adaptations of classic books are leaving Netflix. The 1940 adaptation of John Steinbeck’s “The Grapes Of Wrath,” the 1959 movie version of Jules Verne’s “Journey to the Center of the Earth” and the 1976 version of Stephen King’s “Carrie” will all expire on Netflix in 2015. Also, some 1980s favorites like "The Breakfast Club," "Red Dawn" and "Kramer vs. Kramer" are scheduled to disappear. Don’t worry, Netflix won't be low on films after these expire. Plenty of titles are being added in January, including 10 seasons of "Friends." See if any of your favorite films or TV shows are leaving below.

Movies Disappearing From Netflix on Jan. 1:

"Duck Soup" (1933)

"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" (1939)

"The Grapes of Wrath" (1940)

"The Day the Earth Stood Still" (1951)

"Roman Holiday" (1953)

"12 Angry Men" (1957)

"Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1959)

"Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" (1967)

"The Longest Yard" (1974)

"Carrie" (1976)

"The Bad News Bears Go to Japan!" (1978)

"Kramer vs. Kramer" (1979)

"Manhattan" (1979)

"Beverly Hills Cop" (1984)

"Red Dawn" (1984)

"The Breakfast Club" (1985)

"Girls Just Want to Have Fun" (1985)

"Big Trouble in Little China" (1986)

"Can't Buy Me Love" (1987)

"Spaceballs" (1987)

"Batman" (1989)

"The Phantom of the Opera" (1989)

"Turner and Hooch" (1989)

"Rocky IV" (1990)

"Backdraft" (1991)

"Boyz n the Hood" (1991)

"My Girl" (1991)

"Beethoven" (1992)

"Far and Away" (1992)

"A River Runs Through It" (1992)

"The Mighty Ducks" (1992)

"Beethoven's 2nd" (1993)

"Tombstone" (1993)

"My Girl 2" (1994)

"Stargate" (1994)

"Bad Boys" (1995)

"The Brady Bunch Movie" (1995)

"Braveheart" (1995)

"The Usual Suspects" (1995)

"D3: The Mighty Ducks" (1996)

"Happy Gilmore" (1996)

"Good Burger" (1997)

"Kiss the Girls" (1997)

"Titanic" (1997)

"Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" (1998)

"The Parent Trap" (1998)

"You've Got Mail" (1998)

"Gladiator" (2000)

"The Original Kings of Comedy" (2000)

"Scary Movie 2" (2001)

"The Wedding Planner" (2001)

"Love Actually" (2003)

"The Chronicles of Riddick" (2004)

"Hotel Rwanda" (2004)

"Saved!" (2004)

"Hitch" (2005)

"A Mighty Heart" (2007)

"The Company Men" (2010)

TV Shows Disappearing From Netflix on Dec. 1:

"Transformers: Generation 1" Seasons 1 - 4 (1984-1987)

"G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero" Seasons 1 - 2 (1983-1986)

"Taylor Swift: Journey to Fearless" (2010)

God, I miss some of those movies.  I may watch some of them during my break now, but it's a real shame that I likely won't be able to again.

God, I miss some of those movies.  I may watch some of them during my break now, but it's a real shame that I likely won't be able to again.

Call me old fashioned, but DVDs and Blu-Rays are still a thing, so if you really want to watch those films again you can. It's not as if they're disappearing forever, bud. :) 

• Like 4

Except that literally every single movie on that is.

Well, that's good to know.  I haven't really bought DVDs/BluRays in a long time, since I've been in a phase where I don't like to watch movies, probably stemming from all the crap that's on TV now leaving a bad taste in my mouth for most media today.  At least I can still watch them, then.

• Like 1

I would rather watch Friends than all of those movies...

Friends is a damn good show and all, but 12 Angry Men and Duck Soup are undoubtedly brilliant movies. Particularly 12 Angry Men,  in my opinion: that's a masterclass is slow-burning dialogue, subtlety intense acting and a completely engrossing plot. 

Again, I understand taste is completely subjective, but I am upset that such profoundly great films are being shifted to accommodate shows like Friends. The more and more people become like Lady Lilith and rely on Netflix for their films, the less and less people are exposed to all-time great films. I mean, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is fucking amazing and remains very relevant to this day. And I would dare challenge anyone to give me an example of an intro to a film that completely captures the essence of a city in the way Manhattan does. 

Holy shit, I'm ranting. You get my point - probably. 

Never actually took the time to watch through Friends, but I'd completely agree with you considering what I've heard about what a good show it was.

Good to see someone completely agreeing with something without so much of an iota of personal opinion and knowledge to back it up. 

Just saying. :P

• Like 2

I don't know much about the other two, but it would be a damn shame to miss out on 12 Angry Men. That movie is one of the best courtroom drama films in the industry. It touches on so many subjects of the human mentality with such a simple premise, almost entirely in just one small room. It is without a doubt a classic, and I implore anyone who enjoys movies to watch it.

Good to see someone completely agreeing with something without so much of an iota of personal opinion and knowledge to back it up. 

My thoughts exactly. I had a laugh and a half at this response.

On to the topic at hand, I really should take this opportunity to see Happy Gilmore. Despite liking Adam Sandler's films, I still haven't seen what is considered his best work.

Edited by godzillaboy100

10 Seasons of any show is way too much if you ask me, sooner or later it all ends up the same. I've watched only a few movies on that list, and none of them are on my list to watch soon, but it's hallowing as you watch all the classics make way for the newer releases. It takes no physical space for Netflix to keep these movies, why don't they just allow them to stay?

On to the topic at hand, I really should take this opportunity to see Happy Gilmore. Despite liking Adam Sandler's films, I still haven't seen what is considered his best work.

I personally think Punch Drunk Love is his best but Gilmore is still quite good.

I do find it funny that Mr. Deeds goes to Washington will be removed but Adam Sandler's Mr. Deeds will still be there :) Although the bigger shame is Guess who is coming to dinner being replaced by Bernie Mac's Guess Who :(

It takes no physical space for Netflix to keep these movies, why don't they just allow them to stay?

Netflix doesn't own these movies. It just pays for licensing agreements. Those agreements are now about to expire and because streaming demand for these particular titles is probably very low, it wouldn't make much $ense to renew.

That Taylor Swift show will be sorely missed.

i really hope that was sarcasim

I personally think Punch Drunk Love is his best but Gilmore is still quite good.

I do find it funny that Mr. Deeds goes to Washington will be removed but Adam Sandler's Mr. Deeds will still be there :) Although the bigger shame is Guess who is coming to dinner being replaced by Bernie Mac's Guess Who :(

honestly when it comes to sandler. my favorite movie is reign over me. damn near tear up everytime.

Friends is a damn good show and all, but 12 Angry Men and Duck Soup are undoubtedly brilliant movies. Particularly 12 Angry Men,  in my opinion: that's a masterclass is slow-burning dialogue, subtlety intense acting and a completely engrossing plot. 

Again, I understand taste is completely subjective, but I am upset that such profoundly great films are being shifted to accommodate shows like Friends. The more and more people become like Lady Lilith and rely on Netflix for their films, the less and less people are exposed to all-time great films. I mean, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is fucking amazing and remains very relevant to this day. And I would dare challenge anyone to give me an example of an intro to a film that completely captures the essence of a city in the way Manhattan does. 

Holy shit, I'm ranting. You get my point - probably. 

I do get your point.  I just generally find the kind of dumb, but well written humor found in shows like Friends (or Seinfeld, or most popular half hour sitcoms of yesteryear) to be a more sufficient source of day to day entertainment than "slow-burning dialogue" and "an intro to a film that completely captures the essence of a city".  It's not particularly thought provoking, sure.  It's not going to make me question society, or bring me to tears (of the non laughing variety).  But I think all day, every day.  By the time I get home, I'm done thinking lol.  Give me some yuks about two dopes accidentally leaving a baby on a bus, or someone running out of an apartment building without their pants on.

That said, it's a shame they can't all be easily accessible on Netflix like they are currently/will be.  There's no question which movie/television show is more meticulously crafted to perfection.  If you ask me which I'd get more mileage out of though...

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

Well, i hope is because you really like Friends, and not because you are giving your opinion about some amazing movies you don't even know.

This reminds me that i haven't watched my blu ray of 12 of Angry men yet, and still hoping for Duck Soup from Criterion.