How can I get more Memory for the PS3?

boombatakr

I knew this would happen sooner or later. I just ran out of memory. I just got some PSN cards early from my wife for Christmas, and after downloading Injustice:Gods Among Us, and God of War: Ascension, it said "you don't have enough memory to download God of War".  I frantically got rid of some movies, a few games, and even some old game data, and i still couldn't download God of War. I found out that GOW: Ascension was 35gb!! Holy Crap!  That's more then GTA V and L.A Noire!!

My question is: Obviously I need to upgrade my memory, but can i just bring my PS3 into like Gamespot, or something and they put more memory on it? I heard you can buy a mother board and do it yourself, which i do not want to do. I'd rather someone else do it, and do it properly. I see so many people with hundreds of games, and i only had like close to 15 games on the system when it ran out of memory.

Edited by boombatakr

I heard you can buy a mother board and do it yourself, which i do not want to do. I'd rather someone else do it, and do it properly. I see so many people with hundreds of games, and i only had like close to 15 games on the system when it ran out of memory.

You're confusing two different terms, memory as RAM (random access memory) and HDD space.

You clearly want to buy a new HDD (500GB, 1 TB or 2 TB) and that has nothing to do with motherboard. Search for tutorials on how to transfer dat to a new internal HDD.

I am going to assume you are talking about hard drive space, which is not the same as memory by the way.

If that is true, here is a link that will help you upgrade your hard drive.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-to-upgrade-your-playstation-3-hard-drive/1100-6176090/

Most laptop hard drives will be compatible, and I do not know of any upper GB limit, but do not quote me on that.

Amazon is a great place to look for some decent hard drives.

Ye

I am going to assume you are talking about hard drive space, which is not the same as memory by the way.

Yeah that's it lol. I have zero knowledge in this area. So the ONLY way i can upgrade my hard drive is to by a new hard drive myself and install it on my own? Can Gamespot  or another retailer do it for me? Did anyone have help upgrading their hard drive or has everyone had to do it themselves?

You can sometimes get a good deal by taking the hard drive out of a external HDD drive. I read about a 2TB external HDD which was on a huge sale, something like £40, but with limited stock. When I went to get mine, I saw loads of comments from people saying they'd used it to replace their PS4's HDD. Unfortunately, I had missed all the sale stock. :(

Ye

Yeah that's it lol. I have zero knowledge in this area. So the ONLY way i can upgrade my hard drive is to by a new hard drive myself and install it on my own? Can Gamespot  or another retailer do it for me? Did anyone have help upgrading their hard drive or has everyone had to do it themselves?

Go ask your local computer shop if they would make the switch for you.  They will charge you for it, but they will probably be able to help.

If not, it is not as intimidating as it may seem.  Just follow the instructions carefully, and be gentle with the drive and you should be fine.

Did anyone have help upgrading their hard drive or has everyone had to do it themselves?

Personally I've never ran out of space on either of my PS3's but the process seems relatively easy.

Heres some videos on it : 

Phat 1st Gen PS3

Slim PS3

Super Slim PS3

Also there's the Playstation Knowledge Center with Notes and instructions on the whole process.

• Like 1

Memory, no ; Storage, yes. Here's something that I wrote on the issue awhile ago:

As far as which harddrive to upgrade to, I recommend the Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500 GB harddrive.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Scorpio-Drive-WD5000BEVT/dp/B001JSSDGU

Or even the 750 GB or 1 TB internal harddrive:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DVJJWQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=58ZNVKWLZGUA&coliid=I2BNS3CAAJRRNB

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003D18DM0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=58ZNVKWLZGUA&coliid=I2VZ41DIL5HV1Q

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, do not...I repeat...DO NOT...use any screw drivers to unscrew the bolts that hold the current harddrive into its gate! They are small, tight, and stubborn and a screw driver will strip the groves which run you the risk of turning your PS3 into a paperweight...or at least a console with no means to save data. Use a pair of needle nose pliers to unscrew the nails binding the harddrive to the gate and to screw the new one in...just not too tightly in case you ever have to remove it again. It takes a bit of patience, but you'll eventually get it and will be better off than if you screwed the nails up with a screw driver.

Here are some tutorials about how to back everything up and how to install the new harddrive:

Removal and Installation-

http://www.hard-drive-help.com/ps3-hard-drive.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Backing up and Restoring (whichever one makes the most sense)-

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-back-up-and-import-ps3-game-saves/

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2570/ps3_how_to_backup_ps3_game_save_files/

http://www.brighthub.com/video-games/console/articles/5957.aspx

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, one more thing. You're going to need a storage device that can hold at least the maximum amount of gigs on your current harddrive since that's the amount you want to back up and restore. I recommend either a 1 or 2 TB (terrabyte) external harddrive. No matter which type or size external harddrive you use to do it, it must be formatted to FAT32 since that's the format the PS3 is. If your external harddrive isn't, then the PS3 will not pick it up when you plug it into it. Its pretty standard now in days for harddrives (internal and external) to come formatted in NTFS, so is pretty much guarenteed that you are going to have to reformat whatever external harddrive you buy. Lacie makes some really good ones:

1 TB - http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-External-designed-Poulton-301304U/dp/B0010YWPZ8

2 TB - http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=lacie+2tb+external+hard+drive&hl=en&gs_upl=1196l9277l0l11948l9l9l0l0l0l0l264l1124l2.6.1l9l0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9526883959752400060&os=reviews

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since most Windows platforms won't let you format a harddrive larger than 32 GB using their utilities, download EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition. It's free and straight forward to use:

http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html

Edited by merciful84
  • Like 1

Guys, don't make this more complicated than it needs to be by mentioning external HDDs or drives that won't work with a PS3.

You need a 2.5" laptop HDD, 9.5mm high, 1 Terabyte (TB) capacity MAX. You can buy them anywhere. The PS3 cannot recognise larger capacity drives, nor will larger 11.5mm high drives or 3.5" desktop HDDs fit in the PS3 drive bay. Also, ignore 5400RPM vs 7200RPM - it makes no difference to PS3 performance, so go for the cheaper option.

Replacing the HDD is a simple as removing a few screws, pulling the HDD out and sliding a new one in. Any brainless moron can do it, do NOT pay for the labour.

Once the new HDD is in the PS3, it'll prompt you to format the drive. Just follow the wizard, it rarely goes wrong. Sometimes the PS3 wants an upgraded firmware at the same time. This can be done via a USB stick, but I don't want to confuse you further, so I won't mention the process here. If you hit trouble, update this thread and we can walk you through it.

The ONLY things you want to backup from your old HDD are your game saves. Simply insert a USB stick into one of the ports at the front of the PS3, then go to the XMB > Game > Saved Data Utility. Press :triangle: on the Game Save you want to backup, then select Copy. For most games you'll see USB Device as a "select the destination" option. Choose it. Done.

I can't recall if you need to recreate a User when upgrading a HDD, but you may need to. Setup your User account on the PS3, then go to PSN > Sign In and choose "Use an existing account". You'll want to do this if you have synced trophies or bought games from the PS Store and want to relink your PS3 to that PSN account. Follow the prompts by entering your existing PSN login details and you're back in the game.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Also, ignore 5400RPM vs 7200RPM - it makes no difference to PS3 performance, so go for the cheaper option.

What are you sources for this, because it makes absolutely no sense.  A faster drive will have faster read speeds, wherever you put it.  Same reason why a SSD will be significantly faster in a ps3 than a normal drive.  That being said, the slower 5400 RPM drives will be fast enough, so if money is an issue, there is no need to spend more money.

What are you sources for this, because it makes absolutely no sense.  A faster drive will have faster read speeds, wherever you put it.  Same reason why a SSD will be significantly faster in a ps3 than a normal drive.  That being said, the slower 5400 RPM drives will be fast enough, so if money is an issue, there is no need to spend more money.

7200RPM, as opposed to 5400RPM, will only help if there is not a bottleneck somewhere else and from what I recall reading that's the case with the PS3. It's been about 3 years or so though. Likewise with an SSD, because of the speed of the PS3's architecture they really don't help that much either. Most of the tests I've seen indicated that a 7200 RPM drive, or an SSD, had the most impact when installing games but after that you might as well just be using a 5400 RPM drive. (Edit: Of course hopefully someone will correct me if I'm remembering wrong about this).

Also, unless it's changed, the only thing you can use an external hard drive for with the PS3 is to backup data. You cannot install games to it and then play them from there.

To slightly correct something Merciful84 said, you shouldn't use a regular type of screwdriver on the screws because of their size but there are jeweler's screwdrivers that are smaller and work perfectly fine since they're made for smaller screws like that.

And as ant1th3s1s said, it is incredibly easy to swap out the hard drive. It literally takes less than 5 minutes and that's if you're going slow, and probably blindfolded too.

Edited by BooneJusticius

7200RPM, as opposed to 5400RPM, will only help if there is not a bottleneck somewhere else and from what I recall reading that's the case with the PS3. It's been about 3 years or so though. Likewise with an SSD, because of the speed of the PS3's architecture they really don't help that much either. Most of the tests I've seen indicated that a 7200 RPM drive, or an SSD, had the most impact when installing games but after that you might as well just be using a 5400 RPM drive. (Edit: Of course hopefully someone will correct me if I'm remembering wrong about this).

Also, unless it's changed, the only thing you can use an external hard drive for with the PS3 is to backup data. You cannot install games to it and then play them from there.

To slightly correct something Merciful84 said, you shouldn't use a regular type of screwdriver on the screws because of their size but there are jeweler's screwdrivers that are smaller and work perfectly fine since they're made for smaller screws like that.

And as ant1th3s1s said, it is incredibly easy to swap out the hard drive. It literally takes less than 5 minutes and that's if you're going slow, and probably blindfolded too.

I can say from experience that I have put SSDs in both of my ps3s and it made a world of difference.  Loading times on games that are on the hard drive dropped dramatically, and when playing FFXIV I went from not even seeing monsters load when trying to fight them, to being surrounded by them with no issues.  I have no experience with the difference between 5400 RPM and 7200 RPM, so I cannot speak to that, but I just assumed it would make a difference.  That being said, your statement about a bottleneck somewhere else in the architecture would make sense, however because an ssd improves the speed, I don't think there would be a bottleneck stopping a 7200 RPM drive improving things slightly.  If the money is not an issue, I would recommend an ssd to anyone who wants to switch drives.

Edited by Sir_Bee

The speed difference on a PS3 is 2/5ths of a poofteenth. In other words, it's negligible. What 7200 RPM does do is increase the heat in the system, making it 2/5ths of a poofteenth more likely to damage your system. In other words, it's negligible. It's not worth the extra money and potential heat in the system for a few seconds of load time.

An SSD is an entirely different matter. It's definitely faster and generates less heat. But, it costs a lot more dough...

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 2

Guys, don't make this more complicated than it needs to be by mentioning external HDDs or drives that won't work with a PS3.

You need a 2.5" laptop HDD, 9.5mm high, 1 Terabyte (TB) capacity MAX. You can buy them anywhere. The PS3 cannot recognise larger capacity drives, nor will larger 11.5mm high drives or 3.5" desktop HDDs fit in the PS3 drive bay. Also, ignore 5400RPM vs 7200RPM - it makes no difference to PS3 performance, so go for the cheaper option.

Replacing the HDD is a simple as removing a few screws, pulling the HDD out and sliding a new one in. Any brainless moron can do it, do NOT pay for the labour.

Once the new HDD is in the PS3, it'll prompt you to format the drive. Just follow the wizard, it rarely goes wrong. Sometimes the PS3 wants an upgraded firmware at the same time. This can be done via a USB stick, but I don't want to confuse you further, so I won't mention the process here. If you hit trouble, update this thread and we can walk you through it.

The ONLY things you want to backup from your old HDD are your game saves. Simply insert a USB stick into one of the ports at the front of the PS3, then go to the XMB > Game > Saved Data Utility. Press :triangle: on the Game Save you want to backup, then select Copy. For most games you'll see USB Device as a "select the destination" option. Choose it. Done.

I can't recall if you need to recreate a User when upgrading a HDD, but you may need to. Setup your User account on the PS3, then go to PSN > Sign In and choose "Use an existing account". You'll want to do this if you have synced trophies or bought games from the PS Store and want to relink your PS3 to that PSN account. Follow the prompts by entering your existing PSN login details and you're back in the game.

That's the way you do it. I have change 2 HDDs myself and there're a lot of videos on youtube how to do it