National Football League 2012 Thread

cmgravekeeper

I'm choosing a lot of upsets this week. Let's see how it goes!

:D

Week 17 Predictions

Ravens vs Bengals

Panthers vs Saints

Jaguars vs Titans

Buccaneers vs Falcons

Eagles vs Giants

Jets vs Bills

Texans vs Colts

Browns vs Steelers

Bears vs Lions

Packers vs Vikings

Dolphins vs Patriots

Cardinals vs 49ers

Rams vs Seahawks

Raiders vs Chargers

Chiefs vs Broncos

Cowboys vs Redskins

I'm choosing a lot of upsets this week. Let's see how it goes!

:D

Week 17 Predictions

Ravens vs Bengals

Panthers vs Saints

Jaguars vs Titans

Buccaneers vs Falcons

Eagles vs Giants

Jets vs Bills

Texans vs Colts

Browns vs Steelers

Bears vs Lions

Packers vs Vikings

Dolphins vs Patriots

Cardinals vs 49ers

Rams vs Seahawks

Raiders vs Chargers

Chiefs vs Broncos

Cowboys vs Redskins

Wow.....you should have played it safe!!! lol :P The only real suprise was the Falcons and Texans loss. I was SOOOOO happy that Indy did in fact beat Texas and the Pats got the second seed. Anyway, I look forward to your predictions for the Wilcard Weekend. When are you going to pick those BTW?

Well, I'll put out what my picks are:

Wildcard Weekend:

Bengals vs Texans

Vikings vs Packers

Colts vs Ravens

Seahawks vs Redskins

I'm sure none of you know, but I'm all about the upsets.

- The Texans have been disappointing down the stretch, while the Bengals have kicked in. Going with Cin city.

- Vikings are more confident then ever. Watching that Vikings vs Packers game on Sunday was unbelievable with what AP was doing. Green Bay does have a QB in Aaron Rodgers and this game will be very high in points. Going with the Viks.

- Ravens have been hitting a rock down the stretch as well, but came out big in the last 2 weeks. I like what the Colts have been doing all year. This will be a very close game. Colts in the upset.

- The Seahawks have been one of the most dominant teams all year. Even though they're not playing at home, I'm still picking them over RG3 and the streakin skins.

Edited by joeysax97

Wildcard Weekend:

Bengals vs Texans

Vikings vs Packers

Colts vs Ravens

Seahawks vs Redskins

- The Texans have been disappointing down the stretch, while the Bengals have kicked in. Going with Cin city.

- Vikings are more confident then ever. Watching that Vikings vs Packers game on Sunday was unbelievable with what AP was doing. Green Bay does have a QB in Aaron Rodgers and this game will be very high in points. Going with the Viks.

- Ravens have been hitting a rock down the stretch as well, but came out big in the last 2 weeks. I like what the Colts have been doing all year. This will be a very close game. Colts in the upset.

- The Seahawks have been one of the most dominant teams all year. Even though they're not playing at home, I'm still picking them over RG3 and the streakin skins.

I bet you DanielVT could tell you which one of these predictions I like (hint: scroll up a little...).

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

Fun Facts:

Seattle is 1-8 in road playoff games in franchise history.

Cincinnati hasn't won a playoff game since Bush invaded Iraq -- that would be George Herbert Walker Bush a.k.a. Bush 41 or Bush the Elder, and that would be the Operation Desert Shield/Operation Desert Storm invasion of Iraq.

Cincinnati has won one fewer road playoff game in franchise history than has Seattle.... and the Bengals had a faily healthy head start on the Seahawks.

If you're a gambler, you wager mostly on home teams in the playoffs during the first two rounds if your objective is to win money. In particular, you don't wager on shaky QBs on the road.

My personal rule of thumb is that I'll pick one "upset" in each of the first two rounds, with the spread determining who is a "favorite" and who is an "underdog". I'm picking all four home teams this weekend.

I believe Seattle is a fraud when you take them outside of Qwest Field. Their "statement road win" was Buffalo, who sucks. They beat a woeful Panther squad in Carolina early in the season, and they beat the Bears at Soldier Field when Chicago was doing their best impression of a guy who requires the Heimlich Maneuver. Washington is a solid club, Washington is well coached, and Washington is at home.

Cincinnati will probably put up a better showing than they did in Houston last year, but I don't see them having enough playmakers to keep up with Houston.

Indianapolis is a nice story, but nice stories seldom win playoff games. For all the ballyhoo about Andrew Luck, nobody seems to notice that he's among the league leaders in interceptions. Indianapolis also has a ton of trouble stopping the run, which is something the Ravens do well. Baltimore has also won playoff games each of the last four years, so they know what the heck they're doing. Add to that the Ray Lewis retirement circus, and I can't see Baltimore possibly losing this one.

I'll give Minnesota a puncher's chance at Green Bay, because the Lambeau Field playoff mystique vanished a decade past when Michael Vick beat the Packers on a frigid Saturday night. That aside, I still think the Packers win because they simply have too much firepower and I question if AP can really put the Vikings on his back for another week and succeed.

• Like 1

I'm a stats and trivia wonk. I contribute on occasion (the occasional article, but mostly commentary from the peanut gallery) to a hockey blog for my favorite team, and I often introduce random pieces of trivia and fun facts there. No, I'm not Skip Bayless in disguise. No, I do not work for the Elias Sports Bureau.

I agree with the pick of Denver in the Super Bowl. I've got no clue how the NFC is going to shake out.... and if you put a gun to my head, I'm going to say San Francisco beats the Atlanta/Washington winner in the NFC Title Game by a comfortable margin. On the AFC side, I think Denver beats Houston at Mile High Stadium in two weeks (with the Texans going into Foxboro and beating the Pats next weekend).

I bet you DanielVT could tell you which one of these predictions I like (hint: scroll up a little...).

Obviously, you want the Colts to win! :) Anyway, I hope your Colts do win as the Ravens are a thorn in the Pats side. Anyway, I am thinking that the Bengals are going to upset the Texans, and the Vikings might upset the Packers. I could be completely wrong as I am not really making a prediction, rather I am saying what I hope to see happen.

All I know is, I got Denver in the Super Bowl. xD

Denver is sooooooo overrated. NE beats elite teams (Texans etc.) easily and just barely lost to the 9iners. Denver plays in an EZ division. I feel confident that the Pats could take the Broncos, but there is no way I am just going to overlook the Denver Broncos. They should never be underestimated.

Edited by DanielVT

I'll post a more detailed post after work when I'm not on my phone DanielVT. :P

Forgot to post WildCard Predictions!

(W)Bengals vs Texans

Vikings vs (W)Packers

(W)Colts vs Ravens

(W)Seahawks vs Redskins

Haha, anyway, the Bengals were HORRIBLE offensively, but hey so were the Texans. I don't want to get cocky or overlook the Texans, but I think against the Pats, they will be overmatched. Honestly, I'd take Tony Romo over Matt Schaub any day of the week!

Cincinnati has a better defense and pass rush than does New England. Personally, I think New England will have to score in the 30s to beat Houston again. Not saying that it can't happen, but I don't think next weekend's matchup will resemble the Texans-Pats game from a month ago.... and I still see little reason to trust the Patriots in a close game. They're too uneven when it comes down to a one possession tussle late, and they do have a tendency to run up a lot of numbers against subpar defenses or when they're simply running up the score as they've been wont to do.

I highly doubt that the Texans-Patriots game will be a repeat of the MNF game from a month ago. I personally hate the Patriots and all other Boston teams from that area. But, we'll have to wait and find out because anything can happen :)

If the Colts win = Colts at Broncos. Who would of thought of Peyton Manning playing the Colts in the Playoffs?

No one.

I highly doubt that the Texans-Patriots game will be a repeat of the MNF game from a month ago. I personally hate the Patriots and all other Boston teams from that area. But, we'll have to wait and find out because anything can happen :)

If the Colts win = Colts at Broncos. Who would of thought of Peyton Manning playing the Colts in the Playoffs?

No one.

As a colts fan, I want the ravens in the first round. They had a good win against a slumping Giants team, however, I don't think you can fix all your problems in a week. Hoping we win (because it's definately a loseable game), I want to vs the Broncos as the 1st seed. That way, if we get our butts handed to us, I can still walk away with a little less bitterness than if we lost to the texans again.

It's what I've been calling for all along!

No one.

You are from New York, so I am not too suprised you hate all the Boston teams. lol Regardless, I am confident that the Texans will be completely overmatched......again. They showed nothing special against the awful Bengals and barely got the win. They won't be able to handle a truly Elite team, QB, and head coach. They should not be overlooked, certainly, but it won't matter. The Texans are going down. I am however concerned by the Broncos.

Week 17 Predictions (9-7)

Ravens vs Bengals- WRONG

Panthers vs Saints- WRONG

Jaguars vs Titans - RIGHT

Buccaneers vs Falcons- WRONG

Eagles vs Giants- WRONG

Jets vs Bills- WRONG

Texans vs Colts- WRONG

Browns vs Steelers - RIGHT

Bears vs Lions- WRONG

Packers vs Vikings - RIGHT

Dolphins vs Patriots - RIGHT

Cardinals vs 49ers - RIGHT

Rams vs Seahawks - RIGHT

Raiders vs Chargers - RIGHT

Chiefs vs Broncos - RIGHT

Cowboys vs Redskins - RIGHT

Wild Card Round Predictions (2-2)

Bengals vs Texans- WRONG

Vikings vs Packers - RIGHT

Colts vs Ravens- WRONG

Seahawks vs Redskins - RIGHT

Wow that was a terrible Week 17. Maybe I shouldn't have chosen so many upsets.

:P

Wow.....you should have played it safe!!! lol :P The only real suprise was the Falcons and Texans loss. I was SOOOOO happy that Indy did in fact beat Texas and the Pats got the second seed. Anyway, I look forward to your predictions for the Wilcard Weekend. When are you going to pick those BTW?

Lolz yeah. I definitely should have played it safe. So much for having mad upsets. :P Mmm AFC Wildcard teams were weak. Even if the Pats had to play they would have won it easily.

Wildcard Weekend:

Bengals vs Texans

Vikings vs Packers

Colts vs Ravens

Seahawks vs Redskins

I guess I'm not the only one who believes in upsets. Mmm I would have agreed with Colts and Bengals but I was wrong too. :P

Obviously, you want the Colts to win! :) Anyway, I hope your Colts do win as the Ravens are a thorn in the Pats side. Anyway, I am thinking that the Bengals are going to upset the Texans, and the Vikings might upset the Packers. I could be completely wrong as I am not really making a prediction, rather I am saying what I hope to see happen.

Denver is sooooooo overrated. NE beats elite teams (Texans etc.) easily and just barely lost to the 9iners. Denver plays in an EZ division. I feel confident that the Pats could take the Broncos, but there is no way I am just going to overlook the Denver Broncos. They should never be underestimated.

Denver does play in an easy division but I wouldn't say its overrated. I think the game can go either way. Pats are a team more likely to score 50+ points in a game but I feel what really will make the difference is the defense. I'd put my money on Denver. :P

Haha, anyway, the Bengals were HORRIBLE offensively, but hey so were the Texans. I don't want to get cocky or overlook the Texans, but I think against the Pats, they will be overmatched. Honestly, I'd take Tony Romo over Matt Schaub any day of the week!

Pats got this. Texans had too hard of a time putting away the Bengals.

Edited by cmgravekeeper

Funny, the #1 seed is Seattle's "easiest" game in the playoffs. I'm not dumb enough to think Seattle's gonna come in and walk through Atlanta, but I do think they're the worst match-up for them. Atlanta's run defense is a huge weakness for them - Lynch, Wilson. Their best defense statistically is their red-zone defense - Seattle is a great red-zone offense. Their pass game is wonderful - Sherman, Browner.

Atlants'a pass game vs. Seattle's run game makes this game look like it's gonna be a shootout, only problem for Atlanta... Seattle's pass defense could/should be a bit more successful than Atlanta's run defense.

Edited by skidmarkgn

Seattle certainly has a very real chance to upend the Falcons. Vegas thinks the odds must be pretty good, because the spread I've seen (Falcons -2.5) equates to the Seahawks being favored on a neutral field. Also, Seattle is playing a 1:00 PM EST game, and West Coast teams playing at East Coast teams in that timeslot have a horrific record in general (and worse when playing quality opposition).

All that being said, I'd be very cautious in picking Seattle to win.... home teams in this round of the playoffs have a spectacular winning percentage -- north of 75% -- because they're the best teams. And it's not like Seattle has blown people out away from the Pacific Northwest, save for the hapless Buffalo Bills who barely count.

Personally, the upset I'm most confident in picking is Houston at New England, as I've stated above. I think that one will be close, and I think Atlanta/Seattle will be close (with the Falcons ultimately pulling it out). Two games I don't think will be so close? I believe Denver absolutely anihilates Baltimore. I also think the 49ers roll Green Bay in a game that is as lopsided as their Week 1 matchup (ignore the 30-22 final score, Green Bay got a garbage-time TD at the end to make the score look close).

Seattle certainly has a very real chance to upend the Falcons. Vegas thinks the odds must be pretty good, because the spread I've seen (Falcons -2.5) equates to the Seahawks being favored on a neutral field. Also, Seattle is playing a 1:00 PM EST game, and West Coast teams playing at East Coast teams in that timeslot have a horrific record in general (and worse when playing quality opposition).

All that being said, I'd be very cautious in picking Seattle to win.... home teams in this round of the playoffs have a spectacular winning percentage -- north of 75% -- because they're the best teams. And it's not like Seattle has blown people out away from the Pacific Northwest, save for the hapless Buffalo Bills who barely count.

Personally, the upset I'm most confident in picking is Houston at New England, as I've stated above. I think that one will be close, and I think Atlanta/Seattle will be close (with the Falcons ultimately pulling it out). Two games I don't think will be so close? I believe Denver absolutely anihilates Baltimore. I also think the 49ers roll Green Bay in a game that is as lopsided as their Week 1 matchup (ignore the 30-22 final score, Green Bay got a garbage-time TD at the end to make the score look close).

They most definitely haven't blown anyone out but they have been managing to get the job while done on the road. The Bears game seemed like it was a turning point for them. It got the road monkey off their back and they haven't looked back since. Personally, I'm glad they're being forced to visit the teams they're playing, doing it the hard way seems to be the only way they're gonna get any kind of acceptance. I am (very cautiously mind you) picking Seattle to win a close... but still high scoring game.. Atlanta's passing offense is a force to be reckoned with but one of Seattle's guys (Sherman) is up for the job. The other (browner) is a coin flip. If Seattle didn't have the dual threat of Lynch-Wilson to exploit Atlanta's one biggest weakness, run defense, I wouldn't go that way but they do... and they're my home team :yay:

Edited by skidmarkgn

They most definitely haven't blown anyone out but they have been managing to get the job while done on the road. The Bears game seemed like it was a turning point for them. It got the road monkey off their back and they haven't looked back since.

The results have been better, but I'm not buying it. They beat Chicago during the Bears' annual second-half swan dive that finally got Lovie Smith fired, they beat an inept Bills club, and they beat Washington with a gimpy RG3. They also lost road games at Arizona and Detroit and Miami and St. Louis this year, and none of those four teams are particularly good.

Atlanta is a very different animal. I have doubts about the Falcons because they've been completely incapable of winning a playoff game with the current regime, but there is something of a "domefield" advantage in Atlanta and the Falcons have an underrated defense that can cover receivers and get after a quarterback. Plus, Atlanta has been off for a while.... whether that means they'll be too rusty to be effective next weekend or that they've (nearly) completely healed and have had enough time to properly prepare for Seattle is anyone's guess, but there's a reason this team was the top seed in a conference that has several other very good teams.

The results have been better, but I'm not buying it. They beat Chicago during the Bears' annual second-half swan dive that finally got Lovie Smith fired, they beat an inept Bills club, and they beat Washington with a gimpy RG3. They also lost road games at Arizona and Detroit and Miami and St. Louis this year, and none of those four teams are particularly good.

Atlanta is a very different animal. I have doubts about the Falcons because they've been completely incapable of winning a playoff game with the current regime, but there is something of a "domefield" advantage in Atlanta and the Falcons have an underrated defense that can cover receivers and get after a quarterback. Plus, Atlanta has been off for a while.... whether that means they'll be too rusty to be effective next weekend or that they've (nearly) completely healed and have had enough time to properly prepare for Seattle is anyone's guess, but there's a reason this team was the top seed in a conference that has several other very good teams.

One of the reasons was a pretty... cupcake schedule :P The redskins and broncos were the only real tough games they had.

Seattle's losses on the road were pretty lame but they've a became a completely different monster in the 2nd half of the season. 99x out of 100 (in my opinion) they'll go to Arizona and get that touchdown in the redzone that eluded them for 7(?) plays in the 1st game. The 49ers loss was still a close game and I'd call a Seattle/San Fran -in San Fran- a coin flip right now (maybe we'll find out if they have a rubber match in the championship). St. Louis is a tough team (remember, they did go 1-0-1 against everyone's beloved 49ers) and when it comes to them and Seattle, home field will most likely always win. The Lions game seemed like they were so focused on Johnson that they let Titus shred them... there own fault. Then there's the Dolphins... I got nothin'. Best I can say is Seattle came in fat, lazy and overconfident. Hopefully they learned from that experience.

There wins have been subject to criticism for sure, I'll be more than happy to concede that, I also have confidence that the team has grown leaps and bounds over the season and people are saying they're the one of the/if not the scariest team in the playoffs for a reason. Honestly, right now, they're playing with house money... all the pressure is on the Falcons, the game even has about 10,000 seats in the arena still available because the fans aren't quite convinced yet.