National Football League 2012 Thread

cmgravekeeper

In my household, I refer to the AFC Championship Game as an "I'm rooting for Al-Qaeda" game -- that is, a game where I semi-actively root for something catastrophic to happen because I want both teams to lose.

I'm a lifelong AFC fan, and I've only rooted for the NFC team in the Super Bowl three times the last 23 seasons (going back to the Scott Norwood Memorial). This year will be #4 for me on that list.

To me, the Pats winning on Sunday will be the lesser of two evils, so that's who I'm pulling for in Foxboro. I'd sooner see Bill Belichek hoist the Lombardi Trophy than to see scum like Ray Lewis get a happy ending heading into retirement -- there are few things I dislike more in sports than an athlete I despise get to "go out on top". I'm also rooting for San Francisco to curbstomp Atlanta, because I think the 49ers are the best team left at this point (and because I think the Falcons couldn't find their way out of a paper bag if you spotted them the exit come Super Bowl time).

*sigh* Guess I'm going to be rooting for hockey season after all.

In my household, I refer to the AFC Championship Game as an "I'm rooting for Al-Qaeda" game -- that is, a game where I semi-actively root for something catastrophic to happen because I want both teams to lose.

I'm a lifelong AFC fan, and I've only rooted for the NFC team in the Super Bowl three times the last 23 seasons (going back to the Scott Norwood Memorial). This year will be #4 for me on that list.

To me, the Pats winning on Sunday will be the lesser of two evils, so that's who I'm pulling for in Foxboro. I'd sooner see Bill Belichek hoist the Lombardi Trophy than to see scum like Ray Lewis get a happy ending heading into retirement -- there are few things I dislike more in sports than an athlete I despise get to "go out on top". I'm also rooting for San Francisco to curbstomp Atlanta, because I think the 49ers are the best team left at this point (and because I think the Falcons couldn't find their way out of a paper bag if you spotted them the exit come Super Bowl time).

*sigh* Guess I'm going to be rooting for hockey season after all.

Well at least you kind of want the Patriots to win. We'll take all the support we can even if it's semi-support! :D

hmmm...last year they both made the AFC and NFC championships and well, you know what happened... :facepalm:

I am hoping the same thing will happen. The Patriots are favored to win....they still have to go out and actually win. As for the 49ers Kap... is away from Home, and during away games he has shown weaknesses. Also, people are giving the Falcons no chance at all. People gave the Ravens no chance at all, and they beat the team with the best record in the NFL. It should be a fantastic week. My fingers are crossed for the Pats!! In TB12, The Hoodie, and the rest of the team I trust. :)

Edited by DanielVT

Come on man! You have to give me props! I went against 99% of the world and called the Ravens win. The road for the Patriots to the SB just got a bit easier! They BETTER win tomorrow. If they do the rest of the AFC playoffs goes through Foxborough. :) I can't believe I was right!!! Hopefully Brady will be able to end Ray Lewis's (the criminal) career once and for all. Man, this is going to be EPIC!!!

Darn it. Out of all my predictions I only got the least favorite one correct. -___-

Well I'm hoping the Ravens win the next one. :P

Darn it. Out of all my predictions I only got the least favorite one correct. -___-

Well I'm hoping the Ravens win the next one. :P

Here is my response: <_< lol

Anyway, my predictions are as follows in order of gametime.

Falcons over 49er's

Patriots over Ravens

Notes: The Falcons I'm picking to pull off the upset. Obviously the Packers were not prepared and Kap did a great job. However his tricks have been made known and the Falcons should be ready. The 49ers lost to the Seahawks (who the Falcons beat) and the Rams. They are not invincible.

I'm fairly confident in the Patriots. The Broncos gave the Ravens the game. I don't think anyone can argue that. TB12 will not throw 3 interceptions and our coverage will not allow the deep balls like the Broncos did. I am sure we are preparing for Flacco. I am not going to say blowout, but I feel it coming. Everyone says it will be close. Who knows.....everyone said the Texans Patriots game would be close. Just saying.

Here is my response: <_< lol

Anyway, my predictions are as follows in order of gametime.

Falcons over 49er's

Patriots over Ravens

Notes: The Falcons I'm picking to pull off the upset. Obviously the Packers were not prepared and Kap did a great job. However his tricks have been made known and the Falcons should be ready. The 49ers lost to the Seahawks (who the Falcons beat) and the Rams. They are not invincible.

I'm fairly confident in the Patriots. The Broncos gave the Ravens the game. I don't think anyone can argue that. TB12 will not throw 3 interceptions and our coverage will not allow the deep balls like the Broncos did. I am sure we are preparing for Flacco. I am not going to say blowout, but I feel it coming. Everyone says it will be close. Who knows.....everyone said the Texans Patriots game would be close. Just saying.

Too lazy to copy and paste my usual format for predictions. :P

Ravens beat Patriots

49ers beat Falcons

Exact opposite predictions. I do feel the Patriots are more likely to win but I'm hoping they don't. :P

This just in! Someone found the master plan for the Atlanta Falcons thrown in the trash!

1. Build big first half lead.

2. Blow said lead in the second half.

3. Finish up with dramatic come-from-behind win. (oh shit, it didn't work this week -- MS)

4. Move on to the next game, insisting that "Nobody believes in us! (because of #2)" and "#3 clearly marks us as the Team of Destiny!"

I don't know about the rest of you, but I was worried briefly at 17-0. Once San Francisco sliced and diced their way through the Atlanta defense for two quick TDs to make it a closer game before the half, it didn't seem to be a very daunting task to complete the comeback. And just think about how much worse the final could have been if San Francisco doesn't fumble inside the 1 and doesn't have a chippy field goal smack the uprights.

Well the season ended. It was tough loss to take, but I have never been prouder to be a Patriot fan. I am excited for the next season, and as usual the expectations will be another deep playoff run. I can't wait for the pre-season, and until then I will be rooting for the 49er's. I would hate for a-holes like Thuggs....er.... Suggs and Ray the Murderer to win a Bowl when there are class acts like Kap and Moss on the other side.

To close the year, I will leave with an article from http://www.patspulpit.com/2013/1/22/3901380/some-final-thoughts-on-the-2012-patriots that I feel sums everything up really well.

know I already did my "Coping With Loss" article today, and to be honest, it's already time to put this defeat behind us and start getting ready for the upcoming offseason, free agency period, and draft. I'm all set to close the book on 2012 and start looking forward to another serious playoff run in 2013. But before I do that, before I officially turn the page, I'd like to share something with all of you that I have come to realize again and again over the years.

How great is it to be a Patriots fan?

Seriously, how great is it? Is there any other team in the entire NFL that you would rather root for? Is there any other franchise who has had not only an unprecedented streak of dominance in a league designed specifically to avoid this kind of consistent winning, but also generates such unabashed hatred from the rest of the football world? How amazing is it that our team is so good that anything other than a Super Bowl victory is seen as a totally failed season? And how amazing is it that the Patriots losing brings so much joy to so many people? Does anybody outside of Atlanta give a crap that the Falcons lost on Sunday? How lucky are we that everyone cares so much and is so damn happy that we lost? Every time I start to doubt the dominance of this team, every time I start to wonder if I have seen my last Super Bowl of the Belichick/Brady era, all I have to do is go to any comment board on any football-related article anywhere, and it won't be long until the Patriots become the focal point of the conversation. I hope I never stop hearing the words "SpyGate," "Belicheat," "18-1," and any other anti-Patriots nonsense that's out there. Because as soon as I stop hearing that, then the Patriots are no longer relevant and nobody cares about them any more. Then, and only then, will the Patriots go away. But based on what I've been hearing so far over the past few days, we are nowhere close to that happening.

When every single time you lose is reason for a parade in 31 other cities, when opposing players would rather bash your team than celebrate their own victories, when football fans everywhere treat your team's elimination from the playoffs as the next best thing to winning a Super Bowl themselves, then you know that you have been very good for a long, long time. Every article, every breakdown, every video, every text message, every Tweet, every jab - all they do is solidify New England's status as the team that everyone hates because they are always so damn successful. Teams that haven't won a Super Bowl in 30 years play the "Patriots haven't won in 8 years" card. The New York Jets' season ended the way ours just did two years ago, and their fans are still celebrating it. New England has set the bar so high for themselves that it doesn't even matter how potent their offense was this year or how many new records Tommy B set. All of those things now fall under the umbrella of your average Patriots season. The New England Patriots have now become binary: you either are a fan and root for them to win the Super Bowl or you hate them and can't wait until the playoffs start so you can root for them to lose and then talk about how long it has been since they won it. That's my team. Those are my Patriots. And I couldn't be happier about it.

The days following a playoff loss are always tough, as that's when the haters are at their loudest. But what those morons don't realize is that every damning statistic, every "Brady's window is closing" article, every Spygate reference, and every reminder that the Patriots haven't won the Super Bowl since only seeks to further build up the team that the haters want so badly to go away. So thank you, haters. Thank you Terrell Suggs. Thank you Shannon Sharpe. And thank you everyone who has ever posted anything negative about the Patriots. I'm looking forward to hearing from you next year when the Patriots make the playoffs again and you want them to lose so bad that you can taste it.

Until then, I'll just keep doing my thing; hopefully, you'll keep doing yours.

I just saw this on here, and this will be my first Super Bowl! I never understood American Football, all I know is they are allowed to pass forward and get seven points, but the family is getting together, so even if I won't know what is going on, there will be family and food!

I just saw this on here, and this will be my first Super Bowl! I never understood American Football, all I know is they are allowed to pass forward and get seven points, but the family is getting together, so even if I won't know what is going on, there will be family and food!

Kind of. Touchdowns are worth 6 points and then the team that got the touchdown gets to kick for an extra point worth 1 additional point. Also you can pass forward or run forward. Finally field goals (not preceded by a touchdown) are worth three points. There is alot....ALOT more to the game then that, but that really is all you need to know. lol

even if I won't know what is going on, there will be family and food!

Don't forget the commercials! Those are generally the best part of the Super Bowl. Heck, I usually take my bathroom/laundry room breaks during the actual game (or Halftime) so I don't miss the new commercials. Lots of them suck, but there are a few gems every year.

Andrew Luck is replacing Tom Brady in the Pro Bowl. Brady shouldn't have dropped out like this, but No complaints though. My QB gets a pro bowl on his resume!

Don't forget the commercials! Those are generally the best part of the Super Bowl. Heck, I usually take my bathroom/laundry room breaks during the actual game (or Halftime) so I don't miss the new commercials. Lots of them suck, but there are a few gems every year.

Yes!!! Its the only reason why I watch the superbowl when the colts aren't in it, unless I get invited to a party, that is.

Yesterday's pro bowl was great for us Seahawk fans :) After watching them blow the greatest playoff comeback ever it was nice being able to at least see Wilson, Lynch, Washington, and Thomas all have some high mark moments in the last game we'll get to see them in until next season.

Aside from the score, the game as a whole wasn't too bad... especially compared to last year's abomination.