When to use missable and unmissable tags?

MMDE

I'm in the works of porting a lot of guides I've written from another site to this one...

When to use missable and the unmissable tag?

Should all trophies be marked with one of them?

Should unmissable only be used when you play through the game and always get it by the time you get to the end? Or should it also be used for trophies that you can always obtain in the game no matter how far you've progressed, for example collectibles or doing a specific thing at a certain time in the game when the game got level select so you can always go back and get it without having to replay the game from start?

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure the missable tag is used for trophies that can only be obtained at a specific point of a game and if missed the player is forced to start a new playthrough.

The unmissable tag is for non story trophies that are still obtained through normal gameplay.

If you haven't seen it yet, here is the "Writing a Guide" guide that Sly made for the site.

Edited by soultaker655
  • Like 3

A missable trophy is a trophy which can only be obtained at a certian part of the game. Missing it would mean replaying the game from the start.

Take Bioshock 2's Dealt With Every Little Sister trophy, for example, in which you must rescue or harvest every Little Sister in the game. Since the game has no Chapter Select and prohibits you from backtracking to a earlier part, missing a Little Sister would mean having play the game from the beginning to be eligible for the trophy.

Whereas Black Ops II's Gun Nut trophy which requires you to play a level with a customised loadout can be missed but since there is Chapter Select, you can simply replay a level to get the trophy.

EDIT: Pretty much what soultaker said!

Edited by Sir_Palkia

If it's obtained as part of the story of the game, you should mark it with the story tag.

It should have both tags, I believe.

Alright, that's what I suspected, but what about story related trophies that aren't missable, should I mark them with unmissable?

Story-related trophies and any trophies that you get just by playing the story (e.g. there's a trophy for fighting for the first time and the game has forced battles)

• Like 2

It should have both tags, I believe.

Story-related trophies and any trophies that you get just by playing the story (e.g. there's a trophy for fighting for the first time and the game has forced battles)

lol, this is so confusing to me, and I got quite a lot of guides to port (my own guides, you can search for them if you wonder about what they are like)... is there any way someone else could just do the tagging for me?

In this one game I'm porting, there are 2 missable trophies, the rest can be obtained through level select. There really aren't much more story related than beat all levels in first "act" and beat all chapters in second "act" etc, and one trophy you will need to get to get through one of the levels etc. :P (Dogfight 1942)

The other case we're talking about a shmup, where you got trophies for how far you get in the game. Really just 5 levels in the game, but depending on what mode you play the game in, there's 20 trophies for just beating levels, and 15 for either starting or beating the game on the various modes and beating at different difficulty levels. What tags to use? (Under Defeat HD)

Think of it this way.

If you do a guide that works with one playthrough and you can miss some trophies that would force you to do a new game/new game+ (because hypothetically no trophies are missable as you can go and replay, replay and replay 'till you get a trophy), then the trophy should be tagged as missable. Because as I said, pretty much no trophy is REALLY missable (unless there are some trophies that... I don't know, force you to finish the game on 28.02.2014 13:59...). The missable tag tends to be help to people who want to finish the game on as few playthroughs as possible.

But if the game has chapter select then that generally shouldn't have anything as missable.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

Think of it this way.

If you do a guide that works with one playthrough and you can miss some trophies that would force you to do a new game/new game+ (because hypothetically no trophies are missable as you can go and replay, replay and replay 'till you get a trophy), then the trophy should be tagged as missable. Because as I said, pretty much no trophy is REALLY missable (unless there are some trophies that... I don't know, force you to finish the game on 28.02.2014 13:59...). The missable tag tends to be help to people who want to finish the game on as few playthroughs as possible.

But if the game has chapter select then that generally shouldn't have anything as missable.

In one of my guide's cases, there is actually a trophy that is missable and you got level select, this is because you got to get all "medals" and one of them are for improving your score. In theory it's missable, and can be damn hard to get if you get a good score the first time around. However unlikely it is, it can be so hard it's impossible, and you've got to start a new playthrough. This "medal" just happens to be the case for 3 levels.

Oh well, I don't totally get when to use unmissable and story though. :P

I just finished porting a guide, and I thought I would post it, but worried I used the story tag too much.

Should you use the story tag about trophies that are for beating a level?

Should you use the story tag about trophies that are for beating the game?

Should you use the story tag about trophies that are for beating the game under a specific mode?

Should you use the story tag about trophies that are for beating the game under a particular difficulty level?

:P

Answer these specific questions, and I will publish a guide. ;)

EDIT:

Missable is when you have to start a new playtrough (like AC2 flying machine trophy).

Well, this game doesn't exactly have that clear of a story line or anything. In fact, you start from the beginning of the game each time, but they can all be gotten in the first/second level.

Edited by MMDE

In one of my guide's cases, there is actually a trophy that is missable and you got level select, this is because you got to get all "medals" and one of them are for improving your score. In theory it's missable, and can be damn hard to get if you get a good score the first time around. However unlikely it is, it can be so hard it's impossible, and you've got to start a new playthrough. This "medal" just happens to be the case for 3 levels.

Oh well, I don't totally get when to use unmissable and story though. :P

I just finished porting a guide, and I thought I would post it, but worried I used the story tag too much.....

Okay, lol - hopefully I can help you out :P

The story tag is used for trophies that you will basically get while playing the story. You should use it in the case for all four of your questions above if it's related to the story.

The ummissable tag is used for when you will 100% absolutely get that trophy during a story playthrough (this tag assumes the player sticks strictly to the story and does nothing outside of the story in their playthrough - meaning things like "finding all collectibles" or "finding an easter egg" wont receive an unmissable tag). It basically means the reader of your guide won't have to read the tip for that trophy and they will still be fine.

Both story and unmissable are often used in conjunction with each other, though umissable wouldn't be used with a difficulty-specific trophy (except for easiest difficulty or beat the game) while the story tag would be used for those harder difficulty related trophies.

The missable tag is for trophies that if you miss your chance, you will have to start the game all over to get that trophy. If you can load something from chapter select after beating the game to get your trophy, then it's not missable.

Hope that helps! ;)

Edited by BlindMango