[Experiment] How much money will a $49.99(USD) 1-year PS plus subscription save you this year(2015) on IGC titles(NA)?

DarknessKey92

• 4 weeks later...

I always figure out the price I would be willing to pay for the games, b/c those savings you have are overinflated prices to begin with, which i know you say are.  Also, I do it by the month i renewed my plus subscription not the first of the year, but anyways my savings would be this year are:

January First Light- $5,  Prototype 2 $5 and Duck Tales $3

Feb- Transistor I bought for $8, so cant count it, Yakauza $15

Mar.- Sherlock Holmes $20, Hearts $5, and Counter Spy $3.

So far savings of $56, I like this thread and hope people keep replying to it.

Interesting experiment, however:

- I would bring only games in account you were actually thinking about buying. I wanted to buy Thief, so that's money I saved through PS+. However, I wasn't planning on buying Hitman HD Collection, so I don't actually save money since I wasn't planning on buying.

- Take in account how good the games are. If you play a game that is garbage, you would try to sell it if it's on disc or trade for a different game. Money spend on a game you dislike isn't saved money, but wasted money. So I advice you only do this experiment with games you enjoyed one way or the other.

- Take in account that you don't actually buy the games, but rent them. This means you can compare how much subscriptions you need to equal one year. I'm guessing 7-10 subscriptions (350-500$) equeals one year of worthy content.

I know this wasn't meant to be the purpose of the thread, but I feel that this is somewhat misleading. The idea of "saving" me money would suggest that I would purchase these games without PS+. The vast majority of the time, I wouldn't. Sure, I've downloaded Thief, Rogue <something>, Deadly Premonition, Sherlock Holmes, but I never would have bought ANY of these titles.

It's been a long time since PS+ actually put up a title that I might have bought on my own (maybe Borderlands 2?).

While I too would not have bought the vast majority of what's on IGC each month, I get the point of the thread.  A general estimation of what the price of these games would be, had they been purchased at the time they became free.  Personally, I think a comparison between services would be a more helpful metric to go by.  For instance, IGC is rented, we all know that, you stop subscribing, you can't play these games.  So compare the savings to price ratio for this service with another rental service, like Gamefly.  Gamefly has a couple different options as well, like 1 or 2 discs at a time.  So take that service, estimate the number of games you play (for instance, 1 a week, or 2 a month) and figure the retail price of the games you would rent there vs the digital price of these games you get here.  Of course you'd only rent games from Gamefly that you wanted to play, but since that service is a bit more expensive, I'm wondering if the savings to price ratio would pan out to be the same or maybe even better than plus.

So far this year there have been 18 games included in the IGC.  Of those games I have played none, but plan to play 4, and originally planned to buy 2 (both of which are under $20 for the disc, so a digital rental is worth far less to me in terms of dollars saved).  In the end the price for plus and the savings I get should still work out, but over the course of a year of gaming, I truly wonder which service pays off more for the average gamer.  If I have the time, I'll do a comparison on my own, but if someone else takes the reins, I won't complain :)

• Like 1

- I would bring only games in account you were actually thinking about buying. I wanted to buy Thief, so that's money I saved through PS+. However, I wasn't planning on buying Hitman HD Collection, so I don't actually save money since I wasn't planning on buying.

That would be too subjective. 1000 people 1000 different tastes.

I believe taking all games into consideration is a very objective viewpoint.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

I have my 1-year ps plus subscription since the last week of february and im a player that only looks for the games that have platinum trophy. Last month I really enjoyed Transistor and Apotheon, excellent games for me. I also liked Rogue Legacy and Yakuza 4 but I expected more from Thief. February had , mostly , good games for me and I fell that  I'm already saving money.

I had high expectations for March due to the delay in the announcement of games, but I only found three platinum trophy games that I have not played yet.

IGC is a good way to play games that I wouldn't have bought and i think that i will get another  1-year subscription next year.

People can read. They're just saying they would rather see the savings including disc games since most people wouldn't pay the crazy prices on the PSN store. 

I would like to see that too, but gathering data from so many different retailers with different prices that are constantly changing might be too difficult. But you know, someone could always try collecting that data as a complement to what Darkness is doing.

That would be too objective. 1000 people 1000 different tastes.

You mean subjective.

Edited by LDKRyden

That would be too subjective. 1000 people 1000 different tastes.

I think the entire experiment is required to be subjective.

Taking all games in consideration can easily end up as a very high number.

For example: I don't own a Vita, so 33% of my annual subscription is "wasted".

However can I state that the PS Via content is actually worth 33% of all PS + content?

I think the number of gamers who own all three are rather few, I don't really know.

So take in account you have gamers who own all three, just one or two. This creates already 7 different categories.

So this already creates a barrier since we have only one person and therefor one category doing the experiment.

His/her result could only be compatible with gamers of the same category.

But if two people belong to the same category, but one has purchased half the games before their IGC-entry, how can they end up with the same amount of money?

If person A bought Thief for the full price (60€), while person B got it entirely through PS+. How can you claim that they got the same value for their subscription?

Also what if person A got it for 60€ and person C got it for 20€? Have they been ""wronged"" equally considering their subscription?

It might sound as an easy experiment, but the only real objective result is realised if 200 gamers would participate and we calculate the average amount in different categories. This way you can easily create an objective result through subjective data.

However, you can calculate the price of all games and compare it with the annual subscription fee, which is objective offcourse. But I think that this amount of money will not really apply to anyone. Assuming it would, it would mean that we all enjoy the games as much/less, have all consoles and are willing to pay for all the games ever released which - be honest- isn't the case for most of us.

For me it's all about getting those PSN games I think is a tad bit too expensive to normally purchase in the PSN store, but that I still actually really want. Sales are good for this too, but getting access to them at no additional fee is great too.

At least for me most of the PS+ sales and monthly games etc that are AAA titles is a complete waste for me. If I want the game, I will probably purchase a physical copy, and may already have done this. Games I can't get any other way, sure, sales and access to it at no additional fee is the best I can get.

I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way if they give it a bit of thought.

I bought new n tasty not too long ago, but that's a game I'd love to get now for free. I felt it was cheap enough back then to warrant a purchase though. If you are going to play it, I recommend you check the time trial thread I made in the forum for that guide, because at least IMO has a much more enjoyable and easier way to play the game on, and not as suggested in all the guides I've seen. I've wanted Valiant Hearts, actually almost purchased it, and the same cab be said about PaPo & Yo. So there's some good stuff for me. I've also been very tempted to get that Sherlock Holmes game, I just haven't got it. :) Lots of good stuff for me this month!!

I think what I got this month is worth about 1/4-1/3 (probably closer to 1/3) of the 1 years subscription fee. That's what I think what I got this month is worth to me.

Edited by MMDE

I think the entire experiment is required to be subjective.

Taking all games in consideration can easily end up as a very high number.

For example: I don't own a Vita, so 33% of my annual subscription is "wasted".

However can I state that the PS Via content is actually worth 33% of all PS + content?

I think the number of gamers who own all three are rather few, I don't really know.

That's why it's good to have all.

That way, you can subtract irrelevant data for you and count your own savings.

If the thread was subjective from the start, it wouldn't be able cover all groups you yourself mentioned.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

Updating:

March

Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty - $29.99
Valiant Hearts: The Great War - $14.99
Papo & Yo - $9.99
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments - $49.99
OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood - $14.99
CounterSpy - $14.99

Total: $134.94

2015's Total: $336.85
Edited by Arkthur
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I always figure out the price I would be willing to pay for the games, b/c those savings you have are overinflated prices to begin with, which i know you say are.  Also, I do it by the month i renewed my plus subscription not the first of the year, but anyways my savings would be this year are:

January First Light- $5,  Prototype 2 $5 and Duck Tales $3

Feb- Transistor I bought for $8, so cant count it, Yakauza $15

Mar.- Sherlock Holmes $20, Hearts $5, and Counter Spy $3.

So far savings of $56, I like this thread and hope people keep replying to it.

To add on in April

Never Alone $5, the other games I wouldnt have bought it anyways so they dont count.  Also, I got the Dishonored GOTY Edition a while back, so if I didnt have that game it would have been a savings too.

Updated Saving this year is $61