What's the best class for a first playthrough?

I've got another question about Dragon Age: Inquisition. I've not yet started a game on it, but I'm curious as to what's the best class for my first playthrough. I'll probably play it on Normal difficulty for my first playthrough and save Nightmare for my second. Anyway, when I played Dragon Age: Origins, I played as an Elven mage. Would this be a good choice for Inquisition? Or should I go with something else? I was also considering possibly the warrior class, but I'm not quite sure yet.

Any opinions would be great. :)

I went with a Weapon and Shield Warrior tank on my first playthrough, then chose the Templar specialization which became really useful since a lot of the enemies you fight are demons and often times Mages. I personally got bored with it halfway through though. I think I just felt like it got repetitive, but that's just me. Like Origins you can also use the Champion specialization that make your character pretty hard to kill with defense buffs, while Reaver (I think it's recommended for Two-Handed perks, but I never went with that) is more about dishing out lots of damage. I realize I don't make it sound that exciting, but Champion basically makes your character able to take multiple hits and not even feel it, at least on the Normal difficulty, while Templar is great against demons and Mage enemies, and then Reaver is all about cutting down everything in your path.

Now that I'm doing a Nightmare run, I went with Mage and chose the Knight Enchanter specialization and it's overpowered even on Nightmare. I can imagine you would be pretty much unstoppable on Normal or Casual difficulty using it. Knight Enchanters get a magic sword that ignores barriers and enemy guard, a barrier that increases with each hit, can go invincible/invisible for two seconds and doing a flank attack while doing this does extra damage and brings your barrier all the way up, can slow down (and I swear in some cases for me, stop time) in a certain area for five seconds, revive/heal your whole party (though it requires a certain meter to build up all the way), and I believe you also gain more mana the closer you are to enemies. So yeah.

You can also pick Rift Mage and Necromancer specializations. Rift Mage is mostly AoE attacks that are pretty powerful, while Necromancer does debuffs and has the well-known Walking Bomb ability. Your companions also have these specializations, so don't worry if you're worried you would be the one that has to take care of everything.

Other than those, I left out the Rogue class since I've never played as them. I hear the Twin Daggers abilities with the Assassin Specialization is powerful though.

Anything but Warrior. They suck at closing rifts since they always attract all the enemy attention so they never get a chance to disrupt them. Also the best companions (Cassandra and Iron Bull) are all warriors.

I'm plaiyng as a Rogue Archer on Nightmare difficulty and am having a blast. Abilities like Leaping Shot, Explosive Shot, and Full Draw can stun most enemies, and the tempest spec lets you spam them without using stamina, making it insanely overpowered. The only hard part is about 1/3 through the game, at a certain boss fight. 

Your party layout should compliment your class. Always have a tank (sword and shield with taunt abilities) such as Cassandra and Blackwall. You should also have a mage that has the barrier skill, such as Solas or Vivienne. My party layout consisted of Cass, Solas and Vivienne, but you could probably replace one of the mages with a character of your choosing.  

It Depends On your difficulty.

For normal difficulty it really has no diffrence because you just want to get the story and the gameplay shouldn't be that much hard,except for killing high dragons so just pick the class which you love it in looks and style..But If you want the platinum you should finish the main story on nightmare and that's pretty hard I recommend A rouge archer for that matter.

It Depends On your difficulty.

For normal difficulty it really has no diffrence because you just want to get the story and the gameplay shouldn't be that much hard,except for killing high dragons so just pick the class which you love it in looks and style..But If you want the platinum you should finish the main story on nightmare and that's pretty hard I recommend A rouge archer for that matter.

Well I'm currently playing on Normal, but I'll play on Nightmare for my second playthrough. I'm just at pretty much the same point with both my warrior and rogue, but I only want to continue the rest of the game with one. Both do seem fun though.

My first playthrough (Nightmare) was with an Rogue (focus on dual daggers).

After recruiting a character with bow and arrow, I switched my weapons which made the game a lot easier for me.

The two companions I played with all the time were the warros (shield & sword and two handed sword).

The shield and sword was a tank which I kept playing for ten minutes after everyone was dead, got my out of tricky bossfights.

My two handed swords became a destructive force after learning his speciality.

I would recommend one of these because they will give you a better chance to explore the combatgameplay.

I've got another question about Dragon Age: Inquisition. I've not yet started a game on it, but I'm curious as to what's the best class for my first playthrough. I'll probably play it on Normal difficulty for my first playthrough and save Nightmare for my second. Anyway, when I played Dragon Age: Origins, I played as an Elven mage. Would this be a good choice for Inquisition? Or should I go with something else? I was also considering possibly the warrior class, but I'm not quite sure yet.

Any opinions would be great.  :)

I did my first playthrough as a shield and sword warrior, which was meh. Almost always switched to a mage. And I did Nightmare as a Tempest Archer Rogue. Planning to do another as a Knight-Enchanter mage.

If you need any help, see this guide: https://psnprofiles.com/guide/2151-Dragon-Age-Inquisition-Trophy-Guide

Edited by Dragon-Archon

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know what to choose: rogue or mage...

Rogue is nice, always have fast moves and interesting ones, but with two swords, cause archer looks kinda boring... and i like to be in the middle of the action... i dont think shotting arrows all the time at a safe distance would be interesting...

I also like Mages, they are totally the opposite of boring...

Any opinions?

• 4 months later...