Newbie Questions

Eurycea

I'm a house parent at a children's home and we received a PS3 and some games for Christmas.  I haven't played a video game since the early 90s so I really don't know what I'm doing.  We have a 6 year old girl with downs and she enjoys messing with her controller while others play, but are there games that she could understand?  She functions around the age of a 3 year old.

Also - what are the best kids games?  We have Little Big Planet 3, a couple of Lego games, Sonic Generations, and Toy Story 2.  

Also, I was looking at games I would enjoy and I was wondering if I need to start with the first game in a series or if I should just jump in with the newest game available.  For example, I saw that Uncharted was popular, do I need to start with the first one or should I just buy the 3rd one?

Thanks

I can't really speak much for the children's games, but you could probably add Modnation Racers to the list. As for the other question, I always try to start with the first game in the series. It really depends on the game, some games don't have anything to do with it's prequel/sequel "story wise", but I would play Uncharted in order (in my opinion, 2 is one of the best ones).

• Like 2

I'm a house parent at a children's home and we received a PS3 and some games for Christmas.  I haven't played a video game since the early 90s so I really don't know what I'm doing.  We have a 6 year old girl with downs and she enjoys messing with her controller while others play, but are there games that she could understand?  She functions around the age of a 3 year old.

Also - what are the best kids games?  We have Little Big Planet 3, a couple of Lego games, Sonic Generations, and Toy Story 2.  

Also, I was looking at games I would enjoy and I was wondering if I need to start with the first game in a series or if I should just jump in with the newest game available.  For example, I saw that Uncharted was popular, do I need to start with the first one or should I just buy the 3rd one?

Thanks

Uncharted games have different stories so there's no true connection between them, sometimes there's a reference or two about past events (they rare though). Therefore you can start with any Uncharted you wish, however the best one is Uncharted 2 imo.

With a 3 year old mentality I'm not sure if she will understand some puzzles on LittleBigPlanet or Ratchet and Clank or some famous titles so my advice is to try some simple games developed by independent companies and they're called indies. Some of the best and rather simple are:

-Thomas was alone

-Journey

-Flower

-Flow

-Spelunky

-etc

For you, you didn't say what genre you liked, but here are some top notch games the majority loves:

-Uncharted series

-inFAMOUS series

-God of war series

-Metal Gear Solid series

-Gran Turismo series

-Bioshock series

-Batman Arkham series

-Assassin's Creed series

Edited by Xxleonardo97xX
  • Like 1

You seem to have the major 'kids' games covered. I would also add Modnation Racers (It's Mario Kart for PlayStation) and also Minecraft. Kids seem to love Minecraft as it's a very simple game, where you just build things. It's like LEGOs in video game form.

As for yourself, I would suggest almost always starting from the first game in a series. Most games now are story heavy, and for you to get the most out of each, you want the full story.

• Like 1

I'd try the Spyro classics from the PS Store. They're PS1 games, but I played them when I was 3 or so and (with a bit of help :blush: ) I got through them, and really enjoyed them. It may be cheaper to get them as discs, but it's more convenient as a download imo and they weren't too expensive anyway. LEGO is a good choice too.

I can't speak of many kids games for the PS3, however. As for yourself, I would recommend Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, Prince of Persia, Guacamelee, inFAMOUS, Jak, Sly Cooper, Ratchet & Clank, Kingdom Hearts, Rayman, WipEout and Darksiders, after having a quick look at my profile to remind myself which games I really enjoyed. However, everyones taste is different and you'll need to try a few games to see which genre you like best and go from there.

As for the order of which to play them, it depends on the series. Some aren't really continuous (such as Rayman) so you can jump in whenever, and some are heavily story based and should be played in order (such as Assassin's Creed).

Just be aware that many old games will feel dated and aren't a true representation of modern gaming.

Edit: Which PS3 do you have? If you have a fat one (the first model released IIRC), it can play PS2 games which opens up even more options.

Edited by madbuk
  • Like 1

I would recommend Minecraft or Terraria. Those two games are simple, addicting and fun! Terraria is kinda gory though, everything bursts into bloody bits when it dies so i don't know if it would be appropriate for a kid.

Edited by Woop982
  • Like 1

My little brothers loved the lego games, they are great for kids because they have such an open world they can explore in. It sounds like you have more then one child playing, so co-op games are probably your best option. Movie based games are also really easy. Up is a fun children's game and it requires the players to work together (AKA, one player has to jump and the other play has to grab their hands and swing across) You said you had Toy Story 2, do you mean Toy Story 3? If not, Toy Story 3 also has an open play mode for kids to just run around and is great for playing. Shrek Forever After has co-op play, but it doesn't have an open world. Rango doesn't have co-op, but the game has a cute story if they like lizards. Minecraft is a must, my little brothers waste hours on that game! Ice Age 3 is a cute story game. Umm, let's see...I think that's it for games my brother's have played personally. When my youngest brother was small, he just enjoyed watching and walking around in games (he spend hours walking around Batman: Arkham Island after I beat all the bad guys) so any open world games are probably pretty good.

As for yourself, I  would say it really depends on the game series. Ideally, I would start with the first one and then work your way up if you plan on playing the whole series. (You do not want to start with the new one and work your way back) If you don't plan on playing the earlier games, I don't see why you can't just jump into the new one. (It may take a little bit to figure out what's happening, through)

• Like 1

You could try the Sega mega drive collection, Shrek Forever after, Ben 10 Omniverse. I think Spongebob Squarepants: Plankton's Robotic Revenge might also be suitable for the kiddies. If you don't fancy any of them then head into my profile and have a nosey and pick out a few. Hopefully i was able to help. 

• Like 1

The Games you listed sounded great for the kids.

Anything Lego I've heard is great.

Also I recommend Spyro series from PS1-part 1,2 & 3.-Found in PS Store.

Crash Series- Part 1,2 & 3- PS Store.

Jak 1- is fairly easy and kids enjoy- my nephew age 5 loves it.

Disney Games are great too used to play them on ps2 and Gameboy advanced all the time as a kid myself.