Playstation 2, the Legend

FurryMcMemes

I never realized how great this console was, I missed out on it when it was new. Recently I bought 4 PS2 games and played them on my uncle's backwards compatible PS3. I definitely chose the wrong console to fall in love with, Gamecube. Don't get me wrong, the Gamecube was awesome but the PS2 had SO MANY AWESOME GAMES!!!!

My current PS2 library:

Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec

Gran Turismo 4

Burnout 3: Takedown

Ratchet & Clank

Ironically I bought Ratchet & Clank the day before Sony announced the HD collection. Anyways here we can discuss our favorite games and recommend PS2 games to each other, mainly those who missed out. My current favorite is Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec.

I have loads of faves.

Dark Chronicle is a large RPG. Its also my favourite of all time.

Dark Cloud is the one that came first (Dark Chronicle is actually called Dark Cloud 2 in some regions)

Ratchet & Clank is another top series.

GTA Vice City & San Andreas are my top 2 GTA games

Project Zero (or Fatal Frame in some regions) is my fave survival horror

Jurassic Park Operation Genesis is a fantastic simulation game.

I also enjoy A-Train 6 but that's not for everyone. Most don't even know about it.

Burnout and all it's descendants are great for 'off the page' racing.

I still have my slim PS2 plugged in. My PS3 isn't backwards compatible.

I have loads of faves.

Dark Cloud is the one that came first (Dark Chronicle is actually called Dark Cloud 2 in some regions)

I also enjoy A-Train 6 but that's not for everyone. Most don't even know about it.

Ya I have to buy a new PS3 and my own PS2 so...

I have loads of faves.

I thought I was the only person in the world who enjoyed JPOG :o My friends absolutely despised but I could play it for days... I hasitate to say this since I don't swing that way but... I think we might be soulmates :o

On topic though. Yes, the PS2 was severly awesome, in some ways superior to todays consoles when it comes to games in my opinion. Todays games are far to serious, don't get me wrong, I enjoy it but it would be great to see some diversity when it comes too that.

Just look at some of the games that where on the PS2, the Sly games, R&C and JAK to name a few. Now, luckily some of those are coming back as remakes and Sly is even getting a fourth completely new game but that took long enough in my opinion :P

PS2!

I thought I was the only person in the world who enjoyed JPOG :o My friends absolutely despised but I could play it for days... I hasitate to say this since I don't swing that way but... I think we might be soulmates :o

I'm the same. Once I start playing Jurassic Park Operation Genesis, it's really hard to stop. I just wanna keep expanding, getting fossils, satisfying customers (although some are hard to please, lol), breeding dinosaurs, expanding some more. I can't count how many times I reached a 5 Star Park. It has some fun and interesting missions too. I never used 'Site B' much though.

Yup, if you like Park Building Simulators, Jurassic Park Operation Genesis is the way to go.

My dad got a PS1 at the beginning of the PS2 generation. The PS1 was awesome and we did not get the PS2 until the slim had been out for a bit. The PS2 was such an amazing upgrade from the PS1 that I was blown away. I poured hours into the Call of Duty games and Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2, Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsenal, and so many more games I can't remember them all. We sold the PS2 once we got the PS3 (about a year after it came out) and I have thought many times about rebuying the PS2 due to all the awesome games on the system. However with all the PS2 greatest games being remastered with trophy support these days, I don't see myself having the time or interest anymore to play the PS2. The PS2 was by far the best generation ever, but on equal footing with the PS3 IMO. :D

My current PS2 library:

Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec

Gran Turismo 4

Ratchet & Clank

All good choices. Having GT4 kinda makes GT3 redundant. JP: OG is a good choice for future purchasing, if you can find it. Any of the 3 Fatal Frames...also good. The Dark Clouds were decent but not outstanding like many of the other RPG/JRPGs available. La Pucelle: Tactics was probably the best strategy RPG released. Tony Hawk's Underground 2, also excellent. Twisted Metal: Black, is a solid purchase but even better was Need for Speed's Hot Pursuit 2. Want to try something different? Take a look at Ribbit King, Dr. Muto or Skygunner. All solid choices.

• Like 1

I have a question, are the Need for Speed games best on PS2?

I'd say yes. My fav one is Underground 2... I never really got into anything after Underground.

-----------------------

Some of my favs that you should consider getting:

- GTA Vice City

- GTA Vice City Stories (not as good as VC, but still worth it)

- Manhunt

- Indigo Prophecy (it's made by the same people that made Heavy Rain! It's known as Fahrenheit in PAL regions IIRC)

- Silent Hill 2

- Silent Hill 3

- Silent Hill 4: The Room

- The Warriors

- Metal Gear Solid 3

- Resident Evil: Outbreak

- Resident Evil: Outbreak file #2

- Medal of Honor: European Assault

- God of War II

- The Getaway

- XIII

I'd say yes. My fav one is Underground 2... I never really got into anything after Underground.

-----------------------

Some of my favs that you should consider getting:

- GTA Vice City

- GTA Vice City Stories (not as good as VC, but still worth it)

- Manhunt

- Indigo Prophecy (it's made by the same people that made Heavy Rain! It's known as Fahrenheit in PAL regions IIRC)

- Silent Hill 2

- Silent Hill 3

- Silent Hill 4: The Room

- The Warriors

- Metal Gear Solid 3

- Resident Evil: Outbreak

- Resident Evil: Outbreak file #2

- Medal of Honor: European Assault

- God of War II

- The Getaway

- XIII

Honestly in my opinion if there is a HD collection for a game franchise such as God of War I don't bother getting the PS2 version. I was told Gamecube was best at multiplatform. I can test Underground 2 as I have the GC version and I just need a PS2 copy to compare

I have a question, are the Need for Speed games best on PS2?

I didn't like the Underground versions. Too much over-influence on the drifting..but somehow didn't come close to the Ridge Racer V feel. Hot Pursuit 2 was probably the best pure racer in the Series on the PS2 IMO. Most Wanted was less than HP2 but better than the Undergrounds.

If you were asking if they were "better" than the X-Box versions...most people feel that EA gave more attention to the PS2 versions, so they were "Better." However, I'm sure fanboyism probably played a part in those opinions.

I didn't like the Underground versions. Too much over-influence on the drifting..but somehow didn't come close to the Ridge Racer V feel. Hot Pursuit 2 was probably the best pure racer in the Series on the PS2 IMO. Most Wanted was less than HP2 but better than the Undergrounds.

If you were asking if they were "better" than the X-Box versions...most people feel that EA gave more attention to the PS2 versions, so they were "Better." However, I'm sure fanboyism probably played a part in those opinions.

I said Gamecube but you point stands. Now I know who really dominated multiplatform

That was a long time ago, so my memory is bad. But there are Alot of good PS2 games.

My most fond memory though is, buying an "online" adapter so I could play Killzone.

Thinking about Orbital, and the Beach makes me happy. B)

I said Gamecube but you point stands. Now I know who really dominated multiplatform

Platform domination completely depended on the individual developer. Some games were better on the X-Box, others on the PS2. Honestly it depended on the programing skills of the development company. The PS2 was much more difficult to write code for and usually befuddled the less ingenious development companies. You would have some that would swear that the PS2 couldn't produce the results for certain X-Box games only to have other development companies prove otherwise. Honestly, I just think that some of the people were lazy and just wanted to work with the "easier" system.

I didn't count the GC cause there were extremely few games on the GC that were better than both the X-Box and PS2 versions. That's the main reason why the system fell so far behind the other 2...lack of 3rd party support.

The PlayStation 2 is the best console ever made, in my opinion. It has the best library of games, the controller feels great, and it's as reliable as can be. I've read all sorts of things about peoples lasers failing and what not, but I bought my PS2 on launch day, have put thousands of hours a gaming time on it and it still works absolutely perfect to this day. I don't personally know a single person who has had a problem with their PS2, I've only read stories on the interwebs about it. Not saying the laser failing isn't true, but I personally haven't seen it.

I don't ever know where to begin with PS2 game suggestions, but you already have two I was going to suggest (GT3 & GT4) and if you're looking for Need for Speed games the best ones on PS2 are Hot Pusuit 2 and Most Wanted, in my opinion. The Underground series is fun but I don't think they're quite up to the standard of HP or MW.

If you enjoy Gran Turismo you may want to take a look at Tourist Trophy. It's a motorcycle game developed by Polyphony Digital and it's quitre frankly my absolute favorite motorcycle game even to this day. Great graphics, physics and gameplay.

Parker

• Like 1

Platform domination completely depended on the individual developer. Some games were better on the X-Box, others on the PS2. Honestly it depended on the programing skills of the development company. The PS2 was much more difficult to write code for and usually befuddled the less ingenious development companies. You would have some that would swear that the PS2 couldn't produce the results for certain X-Box games only to have other development companies prove otherwise. Honestly, I just think that some of the people were lazy and just wanted to work with the "easier" system.

I didn't count the GC cause there were extremely few games on the GC that were better than both the X-Box and PS2 versions. That's the main reason why the system fell so far behind the other 2...lack of 3rd party support.

Now that I think about it you are right.

it had some of the best games, and they were more addicting than the ps3 ones in my opinion. here are some of my favorites

gta vice city

kingdom hearts 2

final fantasy x

disgaea 1

disgaea 2

metal gear solid 3

hitman blood money

killzone 1

resident evil 4

guitar hero 3

okami

shadow of the colosus

Don't know how many other people have played this let alone actually heard of it but i think Shadow of Memories is a pretty good game, the story is amazing and change depending on what you do leading to different ending

oh and time travel is always cool, should check it out if you can find it, I have a copy that has no cover haha

another few games that are good if you like RPG's are the .HACK series oh and the Shin Megami games are also good RPG's

plus a load more most people have already mentioned

Top 5 in that list would be : in this order

1. Ring of RED (available on PSN)
  2. Dynasty Tactics 2
  3. Zone of the Enders 2
  4. Shadow Hearth 2 : Covenant
  5. Front Mission 4

List of my ps2 library : bold have been completed

Katamari Damaci

Final Fantasy 7 : Dirge of Cerberus

Final Fantasy 10

Final Fantasy 10-2

Final Fantasy 12

Culdcept

Steambot Chronicles

Okami

Shin Megami Tensei : Persona 3

Xenosaga 1

Xenosaga 2

Xenosaga 3

.HACK 1

.HACK 2

.HACK 3

.HACK 4

.HACK//G.U. 1

.HACK//G.U. 2

.HACK//G.U. 3

Suikoden 3

Suikoden 4

Suikoden 5

Suikoden tactics

Breath of fire 5 : Dragon Quarter

Valkyrie Profile 2

Bloody Roar 4

Crazy taxi

Grandia 3

Front Mission 4

Summoner

Summoner 2

Shadow Hearth 2 : Covenant

Dragon Quest 8

Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 2

Ar Tonelico

Ar Tonelico 2

Atelier Iris

Atelier Iris 2

Atelier Iris 3 : Grand Phantasm

Baldur's Gate : Dark Alliance

Baldur's Gate : Dark Alliance 2

DemonStone

Chaos Legion

Champions of Norrath

Champions : Return to arms

Dynasty Tactics

Dynasty Tactics 2

Gladius

Metal Gear Solid 2

Metal Gear Solid 3

Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis

Odin Sphere

Disgaea 2

Disgaea 1

Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land

Ring of Red

Ys: The Ark of Napishtim

Mana Khemia 2

Makai Kingdom: Chronicles of the Sacred Tome

Growlanser Generations

Growlanser: Heritage of War

Jade Cocoon 2

King's Field: The Ancient City

Legaia 2: Duel Saga

Okage: Shadow King

Rogue Galaxy

Radiata Stories

Romancing SaGa

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

Tales of the Abyss

Tales of Legendia

Wild ARMs 5

Wild ARMs 4

Wild ARMs 3

X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse

X-Men Legends

Armored Core: 2

Armored Core: 3

Armored Core: Nine Breakers

Silent Line: Armored Core

Armored Core: Nexus

Romance of the three kingdoms 10

Phantom Brave

Les Sims : Naufragés

Stella Deus: The Gate of Eternity

Soul Nomad & the World Eaters

La Pucelle: Tactics

Grandia 2

Eternal Poison

Baroque

Zone of the Enders

Zone of the Enders 2

Drakengard

Drakengard 2

Drakkan

Monster Hunter

Shin Megami Tensei : Persona 4

Shin Megami Tensei : Nocturne

Shin Megami Tensei : Digital Devil Saga

Shin Megami Tensei : Digital Devil Saga 2

Shin Megami Tensei : Devil Summoner

Shin Megami Tensei : Devil Summoner 2

Kingdom Hearths

Shadow Hearth

Shadow Hearth 3 : From the new World

We love Katamari!

Prince of Persia : sands of time[/b]

Prince of Persia : warrior within

Prince of Persia : The 2 thrones

I never realized how great this console was, I missed out on it when it was new. Recently I bought 4 PS2 games and played them on my uncle's backwards compatible PS3. I definitely chose the wrong console to fall in love with, Gamecube. Don't get me wrong, the Gamecube was awesome but the PS2 had SO MANY AWESOME GAMES!!!!

My current PS2 library:

Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec

Gran Turismo 4

Ratchet & Clank

Ironically I bought Ratchet & Clank the day before Sony announced the HD collection. Anyways here we can discuss our favorite games and recommend PS2 games to each other, mainly those who missed out. My current favorite is Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec.

Well if you want, you can take a look at my PlayStation Playground site. I've got a micro review section for both the PS1 and PS2 that gives you a snapshot of what games got what scores without any of that messy reading required. ;) I just hit on the tip of the iceberg with my previous recommendations. There are literally hundreds of quality titles available for the PS2.

Well if you want, you can take a look at my PlayStation Playground site. I've got a micro review section for both the PS1 and PS2 that gives you a snapshot of what games got what scores without any of that messy reading required. ;) I just hit on the tip of the iceberg with my previous recommendations. There are literally hundreds of quality titles available for the PS2.

Ok I'll do that.