Holy crap! This game is getting demonlished.

Wow, RE: Operation Raccoon City is out and the reviews are terrible. I usually don't let reviews influence me much (ESPECIALLY user reviews) but this one is getting bashed enough to take notice. Just yesterday Piggie-Pie and I were talking about picking this up and co-oping it with another buddy of ours but I'm pretty hesitant now. Is anyone here planning on making this a day 1 purchase?

Edit: I originally posted it was a week away when it was actually just released today :facepalm:

Whoops, I didn't mean user reviews were blasting it, I just threw in that I hate them because I hate them, lol. Apparently 0 and 10 are the only two possible scores when it comes to user reviews.

Anyways, here's the metacritic page for the critic reviews:

http://www.metacriti.../critic-reviews

The "experts" are all down on the technical bugs. The Users are all up on the gameplay or a fanboying it against the "establishment." Perhaps once they update the game with the bug fixes, it would be a solid purchase. I'd personally wait a bit before dropping $60 until they fix the broken parts. MP looks good (at least the users like it) but the SP seems to be the point of failure right now.

The game was released TODAY...besides an established site getting a preview copy, how can you give a game a fair assessment in just a few hours of gameplay? Really?

• Like 2

The "experts" are all down on the technical bugs. The Users are all up on the gameplay or a fanboying it against the "establishment." Perhaps once they update the game with the bug fixes, it would be a solid purchase. I'd personally wait a bit before dropping $60 until they fix the broken parts. MP looks good (at least the users like it) but the SP seems to be the point of failure right now.

The game was released TODAY...besides an established site getting a preview copy, how can you give a game a fair assessment in just a few hours of gameplay? Really?

Holy shit it is the 20th!! I've been too damn busy lately :) The two examples you gave are why I hate user reviews so much. Granted, some of them actually break the game down piece by piece and give it a score based on everything (those folks are exempt from my hate rays) but you have to sift through too much "THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER!!! PERFECT !0 PERFECT!0!!!" and THIS IS THE WORST GAME EVER!!! PERFECT 0 PERFECT 0!!!!". As I'm typing this, 6 of the 14 user reviews are perfect 10's. There's a few sites out there that usually are of the same opinion as me and they're the one's I gravitate towards most often. If you dig user reviews, cool. They're just not for me. After reading everything I have so far I'm definitely gonna hold off on buying this.

Anyone here that want to share their thoughts on the game? Even though I don't use user reviews as a guideline for purchasing I'd still like to see what others think, as long as there's some actual THOUGHT put into the opinions.

I agree with this. To be able to give, like you said, a fair assessment of a game then you need to have at least played through it once and not just the opening few sections.

I agree with this. To be able to give, like you said, a fair assessment of a game then you need to have at least played through it once and not just the opening few sections.

I could be wrong, but I doubt most of the... for lack of a better term, professionals, are publishing reviews after only playing the opening segments.

I would hate to think they are, as they wouldn't be being very "professional" about it. :P

BAZINGA!! :highfive:

From what I've gathered so far as long as you're playing with friends and don't mind waiting for a (possible) patch to fix some problems it could be a solid purchase, ala Dead Island. I'm still gonna hold of for a while though, especially since March is the month of (the equally shat upon but I still adore it) Silent Hill and I'm powerless against the draw of that haunted little town :blink:

• Like 1

You'd be surprised. :ninja:

I noticed that you have, or are part of (?), a review site yourself. I'd love to hear some stories about how it works behind the curtain. Everything I know is just the babbling of people that have never actually been in the 'scene'. Pretty much all my knowledge is based off of assumption.

I read on another big site (I forget if it was PSXtreme or IGN, where the person doing these sorts of reviews only plays the game for a total of 15 minutes tops. As they stated, it would be impossible to play every game from start to finish.

15 minutes?

Seriously?

Between the bias of most reviewers and the 15 minutes "play time", is it any wonder that the majority of these reviews are so...well...fucking worthless.

• Like 1

I noticed that you have, or are part of (?), a review site yourself. I'd love to hear some stories about how it works behind the curtain. Everything I know is just the babbling of people that have never actually been in the 'scene'. Pretty much all my knowledge is based off of assumption.

There's no real "exciting" sexy stories. I didn't work in any office, really wasn't paid for my services (I did receive a bunch of games directly from the publishers to review) and didn't get to go on any "insider" trips like E3 or such. XGP was only just beginning to make a name for itself with the publishers before the owner sold it off to another site and they promptly ran it into the ground.

A lot of sites "filter" their reviews to keep themselves on the "inside" with publishers/developers. I received some occasionally implied urging every once in a while and always kept the hype to a minimum, to the distress of many. Some Publishers like to grease the skids with all-expense paid trips to their development studios, free swag, exclusive interviews, etc. in hopes of keeping the organization slanted to their benefit. Usually the ones that declare their independence from the highest rooftops are probably doing so because they aren't.

As for quick reviews or putting out a score on a game after just a few levels/chapters...that can only be picked up by having an intimate experience with said game and then by reading their work. If most of their references are towards the beginning of the game, that's about how deep that they got before sitting down with a keyboard. Sometimes the review is so full of filler material, that it's blatantly apparent that said reviewer only gave the title a light glance, didn't like the beginning, quit playing and just wrote up whatever came to mind. You just get to know when you're being bullshitted by being in the same position. This especially happens for those "kiddie games" like Lemony Snickets that you get assigned when you'd rather be playing something like GTA. That's why I would handle all the PS2 games of that nature instead of dropping them on the rest of the staff.

As for The Playground, that's all me. There is no staff, no attempts to rekindle any connections. Everything is considered Retro as I'm using my game library as game sources. I do it in my free time on what I want to review. I'm still reposting all of my previous works currently, and adding screenshots and such. Once that gets done, I'll get started on more PS2/PSOne games and go from there.

That's about it. Anything else?

• Like 1

There's no real "exciting" sexy stories. I didn't work in any office, really wasn't paid for my services (I did receive a bunch of games directly from the publishers to review) and didn't get to go on any "insider" trips like E3 or such. XGP was only just beginning to make a name for itself with the publishers before the owner sold it off to another site and they promptly ran it into the ground.

A lot of sites "filter" their reviews to keep themselves on the "inside" with publishers/developers. I received some occasionally implied urging every once in a while and always kept the hype to a minimum, to the distress of many. Some Publishers like to grease the skids with all-expense paid trips to their development studios, free swag, exclusive interviews, etc. in hopes of keeping the organization slanted to their benefit. Usually the ones that declare their independence from the highest rooftops are probably doing so because they aren't.

As for quick reviews or putting out a score on a game after just a few levels/chapters...that can only be picked up by having an intimate experience with said game and then by reading their work. If most of their references are towards the beginning of the game, that's about how deep that they got before sitting down with a keyboard. Sometimes the review is so full of filler material, that it's blatantly apparent that said reviewer only gave the title a light glance, didn't like the beginning, quit playing and just wrote up whatever came to mind. You just get to know when you're being bullshitted by being in the same position. This especially happens for those "kiddie games" like Lemony Snickets that you get assigned when you'd rather be playing something like GTA. That's why I would handle all the PS2 games of that nature instead of dropping them on the rest of the staff.

As for The Playground, that's all me. There is no staff, no attempts to rekindle any connections. Everything is considered Retro as I'm using my game library as game sources. I do it in my free time on what I want to review. I'm still reposting all of my previous works currently, and adding screenshots and such. Once that gets done, I'll get started on more PS2/PSOne games and go from there.

That's about it. Anything else?

Nope, That sums it up pretty good. Thank you.

I figured this game would get high scores just because it has the words Resident and Evil in the title... looks like they went the complete opposite direction and assumed it would be something it isn't then dumped on it when their expectations were dodged. Asura's Wrath kind of fell victim to the same thing (in my opinion). Everyone was expecting a GoW clone and got pissy when it turned out to be more of an adventure game than an action game, which is too bad because it's a pretty sweet game.

But hey, even if this game does turn out to be a total dud, we still got RE6 to look forward to :)

Nope, That sums it up pretty good. Thank you.

I figured this game would get high scores just because it has the words Resident and Evil in the title... looks like they went the complete opposite direction and assumed it would be something it isn't then dumped on it when their expectations were dodged. Asura's Wrath kind of fell victim to the same thing (in my opinion). Everyone was expecting a GoW clone and got pissy when it turned out to be more of an adventure game than an action game, which is too bad because it's a pretty sweet game.

But hey, even if this game does turn out to be a total dud, we still got RE6 to look forward to :)

It's not unheard of...remember Resident Evil: Dead Aim? Capcom has before attempted to push ka-ka wrapped up in the Resident Evil label.

Never played Dead Aim but I do remember the two Outbreak titles (the "online" POS') that certainly sucked out loud.

Dead Aim and the Outbreak games weren't that bad :o Outbreak felt pretty clunky though. Just imagine what that could be like on a PS3 if done properly though :/ Dead Aim was sort of crappy. It's one of those games that you play once. I was sucked into getting it a long time ago just because the cover was cool and it was $11 at GameCrazy... ended up beating it 2 hours later e_e.

It's not unheard of...remember Resident Evil: Dead Aim? Capcom has before attempted to push ka-ka wrapped up in the Resident Evil label.

Remember RE Survivor? The concept of trying a FPS RE wasn't bad, it's just that they were pulled off poorly with really short campaigns and half assed voice acting.

Dead Aim and the Outbreak games weren't that bad :o Outbreak felt pretty clunky though. Just imagine what that could be like on a PS3 if done properly though :/ Dead Aim was sort of crappy. It's one of those games that you play once. I was sucked into getting it a long time ago just because the cover was cool and it was $11 at GameCrazy... ended up beating it 2 hours later e_e.

Remember RE Survivor? The concept of trying a FPS RE wasn't bad, it's just that they were pulled off poorly with really short campaigns and half assed voice acting.

Dead Aim was screwed because it was originally designed to be a light gun game, but they took that option out in releasing it outside of Japan. I wasn't saying that ALL RE games are/were crap, just that crap games carrying the RE moniker have been less than average in the past.

Dead Aim was screwed because it was originally designed to be a light gun game, but they took that option out in releasing it outside of Japan. I wasn't saying that ALL RE games are/were crap, just that crap games carrying the RE moniker have been less than average in the past.

Yea that has been happening with most series out there unfortunately. It's almost always because someone leaves a company and the guys that pick up the slack suck and make it horrid. Just compare Silent Hill 1 to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories or Resident Evil 2 to Resident Evil 5.

I must be one of the few people to have actually liked RE5, so much so that I played it through 4 times. Once on each difficulty, and all 4 times on my own with the A.I. partner. How crazy am I? :P

I likes RE5 as well. My one and only complaint is not being able to move and shoot at the same time. I didn't mind it in RE4 because I didn't know any better, then Dead Space came along and showed us what we were missing.

• Like 2

I hate reviews... typically a review is written based on one guys perspective... For example, a couple weeks ago i was reading a review in GameInformer that gave Tales of Graces a 7/10 or something like that... the guy who wrote the review had a negative thing to say for every positive that he wrote about... The thing that bugs me most about it is that it was only ONE guys perspective... we take it as gospel when we read the headlined "7/10" but usually it is based on a single persons perspective... So if this certain game isn't the type of game that the person is into or a genre that they don't normally play then they could score it lower out of personal bias... but if they were to pool all of the Japanese RPG people together and have then review it as a Japanese RPG title it would probably have gotten a better score... not that 7/10 is bad but its hard to get a true comparison when 1.) the review is written by one person and 2.) this genre might not be the persons favorite genre.

If i were to only buy games based on a score written by geeks in a magazine then i would be playing a bunch of First Person Shooters and all other kinds of trendy games because they all get a perfect score before anyone even plays a demo of it... and as it is i never play those types because its not my thing... Oh another COD game is coming out? well, lets write a review and give it a perfect 10 even if we haven't seen any footage!

in this case there was a few critics on Metacritic.com all from other sites but on all of those sites the reviews are typically only written by one person... metacritic comes up with a common number based on an average... well one guy said 70/100 and another said 40/100 and thats quite a big difference from one review to the next!

• Like 3