Friday the 13th The Video Game Announced

DarknessKey92

This thread doesn't come up when searching for Friday the 13th, but comes up when searching for Friday...............

Anyway, if you haven't heard, Paramount has officially pulled the plug on the new Friday the 13th movie that was scheduled for a late 2017 release. The movie Rings was made on a budget of $25 million, and for a movie to be profitable, they need to make twice as much as the budget, for a total of $50 million. Including overseas totals, Rings has only taken in $28.5 million. Since Paramount was planning on marketing the new Friday the 13th movie towards the same audience as Rings, they felt that its failure signified a disinterest and that fans would not sufficiently come out and pay to see another reboot/remake from a long dead franchise.

The thing is, the Rings franchise and the Friday the 13th franchise are two totally different types of movies, with the former being focused on chilling psychological horror (and failing miserably, except for the brilliant Japanese original), and the latter franchise being about the gruesome kills and the campy humor/horror. Two different types of horror movies: dark and gritty psychological terror, and cheesy slasher horror. The fact that there is a Friday the 13th game coming out this year was an absolute PERFECT way to stir up buzz and anticipation for the movie to release the same year, even if a couple months after the game. It was still close enough to the game's release that it would've worked, much like how Pokémon Go brought a lot of new players into the world of Pokémon a few months before Sun/Moon's release. I think Paramount seriously underestimated the fan base the Friday franchise has, and is also completely ignoring their brilliant marketing structure that's right in front of them with the video game.

Source: http://movieweb.com/friday-13th-reboot-dead-shut-down-paramount/

• Like 1

On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 3:20 AM, BIOHAZARD-R-US said:

This thread doesn't come up when searching for Friday the 13th, but comes up when searching for Friday...............

Anyway, if you haven't heard, Paramount has officially pulled the plug on the new Friday the 13th movie that was scheduled for a late 2017 release. The movie Rings was made on a budget of $25 million, and for a movie to be profitable, they need to make twice as much as the budget, for a total of $50 million. Including overseas totals, Rings has only taken in $28.5 million. Since Paramount was planning on marketing the new Friday the 13th movie towards the same audience as Rings, they felt that its failure signified a disinterest and that fans would not sufficiently come out and pay to see another reboot/remake from a long dead franchise.

The thing is, the Rings franchise and the Friday the 13th franchise are two totally different types of movies, with the former being focused on chilling psychological horror (and failing miserably, except for the brilliant Japanese original), and the latter franchise being about the gruesome kills and the campy humor/horror. Two different types of horror movies: dark and gritty psychological terror, and cheesy slasher horror. The fact that there is a Friday the 13th game coming out this year was an absolute PERFECT way to stir up buzz and anticipation for the movie to release the same year, even if a couple months after the game. It was still close enough to the game's release that it would've worked, much like how Pokémon Go brought a lot of new players into the world of Pokémon a few months before Sun/Moon's release. I think Paramount seriously underestimated the fan base the Friday franchise has, and is also completely ignoring their brilliant marketing structure that's right in front of them with the video game.

Source: http://movieweb.com/friday-13th-reboot-dead-shut-down-paramount/

I really enjoyed the first four Friday the 13th films and I even enjoyed the remake in 2009. It's now eight years later, delay after delay and a script no-one can agree on, cancelling it was just a matter of time and rightly so, I'd rather nothing than something that should have been nothing.

As for the Ring, I enjoyed the first one - probably because I saw it at the cinema before I'd seen Ringu. I couldn't wait for the Ring 2 to come out and what a sad excuse for a film that was, didn't even know Rings was out (is that Ring 3 or 4?). If they are basing future production of Friday the 13th on this under-performer then that is disappointing especially as they are completely different films.

As for the game from what I've read Sean S Cunningham is producing, Kane Hodder plays Jason, Harry Manfredini composing the music, Tom Savini designing. Holy crap it doesn't get better than that.

I really hope the game does well over any other game.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:37 PM, KratosTheMighty said:

Wish they'd just make a sequel to Freddy Vs. Jason

Same here buddy. If they ever do, it'll be called Freddy Vs Jason Vs Ash, which they need to hurry and do if they're go to do it, because Bruce Campbell isn't getting any younger.

As for the new Friday The 13th game, can't wait for it to come out, they said early 2017 it'll be released. But if it gets delayed again, I'd be okay with it. The longer they spend making it, the better it will be.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2017 at 11:07 AM, jackmadrox said:

Same here buddy. If they ever do, it'll be called Freddy Vs Jason Vs Ash, which they need to hurry and do if they're go to do it, because Bruce Campbell isn't getting any younger.

As for the new Friday The 13th game, can't wait for it to come out, they said early 2017 it'll be released. But if it gets delayed again, I'd be okay with it. The longer they spend making it, the better it will be.

Dont forget about Pinhead

16 hours ago, DarkHarmonixer said:

Dont forget about Pinhead

Nah. Pinhead and the cenobites are rumored to do battle with Michael Myers. It'll be called "Helloween". Look it up on youtube. Just a couple of fan made trailers, but still, it gets the fans talking.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:14 PM, Kurofur said:

Wait, so what happened to this game? Is it released yet?

It's still just "Early 2017". And it's April, so the early part of the year is definitely getting close to being mid year. Once it gets to May, it's more like mid year at that point. Sooo...?

On 4/6/2017 at 9:20 PM, jackmadrox said:

Nah. Pinhead and the cenobites are rumored to do battle with Michael Myers. It'll be called "Helloween". Look it up on youtube. Just a couple of fan made trailers, but still, it gets the fans talking.

just saw one of the fanmade videos for this and it was an interesting idea. i also saw one of Pinhead, Freddy, Candyman & Djinn. Now of all the Horror Icons:

Djinn

Freddy

Jason

Candyman

Pinhead

Myers

I would have to say Djinn is the strongest but he is trapped due to people having to make a wish or request. However should a Waker ever get all 3 wished granted and his race become unleashed then there would be no more limit and they would be free to use their power as they see fit. the rest are "converted".

I almost joined the kickstarter for the this game (Friday the 13th) then i noticed it was online only so i chose not to.

1 hour ago, jackmadrox said:

The article is from 2015, unless an update was added, you mean? Or you meant to show that the game finally got a release date? Awesome to see that it's finally got a release date. MAN, releases two days before my trip to Puerto Rico, and I ain't bringing my PS4 with me, so I might not play the game 'till I return to Texas in July :/

2 hours ago, Ruhkillmeez said:

The article is from 2015, unless an update was added, you mean? Or you meant to show that the game finally got a release date? Awesome to see that it's finally got a release date. MAN, releases two days before my trip to Puerto Rico, and I ain't bringing my PS4 with me, so I might not play the game 'till I return to Texas in July :/

My bad. Meant to post this one: http://bloody-disgusting.com/videos/3433624/heres-friday-13th-game-release-date/

MAY 26TH, 2017 IS THIS GAME'S OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE!!!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...