Most Difficult Part? *SPOILERS*

Dreakon13

I'm currently doing my Survivor+ playthrough, and while nothing has been particularly hair pullingly difficult yet (just exited the sewers with Henry and Sam, that last standoff was a bitch), I have found myself dying a fair amount.  Usually because I'll try stealth, die or reset whenever I inevitably fail and have to burn more ammo/resources than I wanted to, and rinse/repeat until I either succeed to finish the portion with pure stealth or find some nice balance of stealth and combat and hit the next checkpoint.  Or in some cases, just surviving is good enough... more than a few times I left a section of the game with absolutely no ammo or medkits/supplies and with low health.  Thankfully the game seem fairly generous, even on Survivor, when it notices you're down to next to nothing.

What part of your Survivor playthrough (or any difficulty I suppose) did you find the *most* difficult?  Partially because I'm curious to see if (on Survivor) I've already been through the worst of it... or if the best is yet to come.  Partially because I'm just curious in general where people struggled, it'll make me feel better. ;)  I'm not looking forward to Winter...

Edited by Dreakon13

Pffft survivor has nothing on Grounded. Grounded difficulty was probably the most fun I had with the game though, really made you play carefully. 

But i digress.

On my first playthrough of survivor, the part that was hardest for me (due to sheer ignorance of what I was actually supposed to do) was the underground tunnel right after the giraffe scene and literally the last room in the game where all the guards are staring at you with their assault rifles. I died countless times there. 

• Like 1

I feel qualified to say this, seeing that I've played through the game 4 times (once on normal on PS3, once on hard and then on Grounded/Grounded+ on PS4) haha.

Personally, by the time I was on Grounded+, I was so familiar with the game that I didn't find any bits particularly difficult, but I'll lay out the bits that I've heard people commonly struggle with, or that I had a bit of difficulty with the first time I tried them (or if you have poor equipment or don't know you can stealth some bits haha)

• Museum room before going outside and looking at the view - seemed hard on Grounded first time because of damage they deal, and requirements to waste lots of ammo, but if you simply run around picking up bricks/bottles, tossing them at enemies, than sprinting up to them you can one-hit them all without wasting any ammo :D
  • Bloater in High School - easy if you have ammo/tools; even if you don't, focus on killing the other enemies which should drop shotty ammo. If not, keep running and wait for more ammo before going too crazy
  • Bookstore - mainly because of the sparse checkpoints during the encounter. Can stealth quite easily by focusing on top floor and taking everyone out with bow and arrow. Also get the shiv door then :D
  • The hotel - once again, you have to go a long way without any checkpoints, and when guns kill you in one hit and you don't have listen mode, can be quite stressful. I found a route that worked for me; did it first go on Grounded+ haha.
  • Hotel basement - if you time it right, you can literally run past every single enemy and make it safely (did this first go on Grounded haha). otherwise, make clever use of bricks and your melee weapon to kill the first few waves of dudes that spawn after you pick up keycard/turn on generator. When this is done, turn on the other/pick up the other, wait until you see the bloater drop down to the bottom level, then run up and to the door; you should get there safely
  • When Ellie is 'sniping' for you - once again, lots of enemies, and can be difficult if you haven't prepared adequately (read: make sure you don't waste bombs/molotovs on the bloater in the basement!). Personally I was able to do this bit again on Grounded+ first go; but only because I had practice and learnt enemy spawn locations (was able to take out big groups with smoke bombs - 4 kills with melee weapon each time - and molotov; finishing off the rest with various weapons).
  • Sewer with Duck (oops, I meant Sam :P Duck from TWD looks exactly the same haha) - several ways you can do this. Sneaking through, you need to be very careful (and almost impossible with no shivs because you can't kill clickers from behind... also the Stalkers have CRAZY good hearing). I ended up doing a bit of a hybrid; snuck around and brutally murdered the first few Stalkers, then waiting until the clicker is near the top of the ramp and chucked a molotov. In the commotion, I could run past and to the ladder, only needing to headshot one stalker with my weakest pistol before I could boost Duck (lol) up and get up myself.
  • University is all quite easy; make sure you sneak around bloaters (easy to do) and have a shotgun handy when leaving the Uni at the end!
  • Winter; 2 main fights with David against walkers - 1st bit with windows, just learn where enemies come from in each wave and you'll be fine; unfortunately, you get practically one-hit, so just stay away! haha. Don't be afraid to put David between you and the walkers (another Walking Dead reference haha) and he will 'struggle' with them; allowing you to get a one-hit-kill! 2nd bit with elevator bit, use the long tunnel wisely to give yourself the most time to take out the enemies as they are running towards you. Save your heavy artillery for the end bloater if you can. The rest of winter is easy; you can sneak past practically all groups with nary a fuss :P
  • Bus Depot tunnel is easy; can sneak along the left wall the whole way if you have to, but don't be afraid to use flamethrowers/molotovs if you have a heap!
  • Firefly lab - can sneak past the whole first floor, 2nd floor just stay behind cover and use all the bombs you have left! Don't forget to brutally murder the doctors in the room at the end!

The Winter bits with David were the only parts that took me 5+ goes on Grounded+; mainly because I was careless (and being Ellie, you get one-hit by everything and are forced to fight a lot of enemies), so I would have to say that's probably the 'hardest' bit on higher difficulties. Also, the cat-'n'-mouse with David (3rd part) can be really frustrating because he's so skittish and you've got no idea where he is haha.

The game truly is a joy to play on Grounded; had the most fun I've had with games in a long time when doing this difficulty!

• Like 3

to me, the most annoying parts it was Ellie's entire section from the start of the winter and into David boss fight. don't get me wrong the whole game is fun to play but when i reach Ellie's part i always speedrun through it just to be done with it to goes back to Joel parts, i prefer Ellie's gameplay in the Left Behind instead. 

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if I just don't give myself enough credit in games that require stealth but that David boss fight was probably the easiest part of the game for me on Survivor.  Very easy to just pick one table, have him walk circles around it and sneak up behind him.  Was done with it in less than 2-3 minutes.  It was far easier than I remember from my Normal playthrough... which either means maybe the game was glitching out on me (not necessarily complaining) or I just knew what to do this time around.

For what it's worth (since I made the thread lol)... the toughest parts by far were the end of the sewer segment with Sam and Henry, the parts near the beginning of Winter where you're fighting off the infected as Ellie with David, and the underground/sewer segment (the last real interaction you have with the infected near the end of the game) with the two bloaters at the end.

Ellie's part is the most thrilling for me", Bottles & rock bars are very useful. I did the 'throw & chase' to clear my way & lure away those clickers & infected. Reserve bullets for battles with David. I do this same with Joe's part to reserve more bullets for emergency", Stealth was still applicable by moving slightly toward the back of the clickers or infected", For Bloaters, just reserve one motolov & nail bomb", Survivor isn't difficult at all.

Edited by ReverzerO-

and the underground/sewer segment (the last real interaction you have with the infected near the end of the game) with the two bloaters at the end.

You can get through that part without killing any infected and it's not hard to do it that way. On my first playthrough I fight them all, and oh boy...

To me the hardest part in this game was that freakin' sniper part. I've beat this game 8 times but never did that part without dying like 10 times. I don't know why, but that part killed me both in game and real lile.

• Like 1

You can get through that part without killing any infected and it's not hard to do it that way. On my first playthrough I fight them all, and oh boy...

Oh yes, I did admirably up until the two bloaters at the end.  Nothing I could do would lure them away long enough to get Ellie onto that tractor trailer and get me up before they got back.  Thankfully I still had a full flamethrower at that point, so after dying 20 times and trying every strategy my little brain could muster up... I silently picked off the smaller guys with the very few arrows I had left, then lured the bloaters away from eachother and cranked up the heat. ;)

Edited by Dreakon13

To me the hardest part in this game was that freakin' sniper part. I've beat this game 8 times but never did that part without dying like 10 times. I don't know why, but that part killed me both in game and real lile.

Well, this is new for me, I'm currently in my 10th playthrough on Grounded+, I have played on almost every difficulty and never figured this out, I have strategy to kill all of them without being hit a single time, but I guess it's best if I keep safe my ammo for the Firefly Lab if it gets ugly.

And yeah, the sniper part has to be mentioned here, it's difficult, I just run and if luck hits me, I complete it, that's how I finished it in this playthrough. 

Game is pretty much easy on Survivor, but i had a lot of troubles in Pittsburgh area, i think it's called Financial district, where Ellie is sniping for you & in the winter part with Joel, you can't see enemies clearly and where you have to go :)

On Grounded the only points i had trouble with were:

• That same point described in the OP, when you have to kill the incoming rounds of Clickers and Runners at the end of the Sewer part.
  • The place where there's a guy sniping you, it's frustating and made my heart beat real fast specially when you get closerto the house, but it's doable.
  • The part where you're Ellie and you have David as your useless AI team mate. This was the hardest part for me, at least the enemies will keep dropping Sniper ammo if you keep using the Sniper, and people say this game is better than RE4!
  • The very very very VERY last encounter in the game with the soldiers at the Hospital, i had to improvise at that point since my stratergy was always to throw 3 Smoke Boms to protect myself and rush to the door trigger where Joel closes the door and you CAN'T DIE. I think i only had 1 Smoke Bomb so i did a stratergy i never tried before... sneaking past them, it failed close to the end but i made it through the door.  :D
Edited by Sakura

• 1 month later...

Finally got the trophy on Grounded", I agree that Ellie's part is hardest one(1st & last wave with David), I need to memorize where the enemies first to enter and kill them as fast as I can. Throw(brick or bottle) & thrust method toward the enemy is more accurate than using the Rifle.

David is useful, just keep eye on him when the time they grab him although he push or not the enemy, sprint toward them and thrust the enemy's head",

I also have a hard time on the sewer part where Joel & Sam partnered because I forgot to pick the Shorty.

and for the last part(hospital) I killed all fireflies hehe", I reserved all the bullets for hunting rifle and fuel for fully upgraded flame thrower plus I have the axe. No mercy on this part hehe",

• 1 month later...

The first Bloater in the High School can be an issue depending on how you have approached the enemies preceding. 

The shack with David is the hardest by a long shot though.  Not enough ammunition to grit stand your won ground, have to watch for David to flail at the infected for Ellie to poke her little knife in, as well as dashing around to reclaim arrows.

That said, each of the fights are scripted - so failing everything else you can just smash your head against the wall until the wall falls over.

• 1 year later...

I platinumed the Remastered version a couple years back.  Have ZERO interest in ever even trying Grounded Mode.  Screw that noise! LOL Of the three or four playthroughs I did (Note: I had a collectible trophy glitch on me and my original save file was glitched with the collectibles so I had to do an entire extra brand new playthrough), I always found that flooded hotel basement to be the worst.  Especially when you get past the flooded area and you turn on the generator and you have to go find the key card to unlock the door....OMG!!  I hated that on survivor difficulty!  The rest really wasn't too bad.

• 2 weeks later...