How did you catch JRPG sickness?

Beyondthegrave07

As a JRPG lover myself, I was recently thinking to myself, "How in the heck did I get so obsessed with JRPG?" Over the past year I've played Ni no Kuni, Disgaea D2, Persona 3 FES, Persona Q, Tales of Xillia, and more. Then, I racked my brain and remembered the game that truly started this love for the genre. Dark Cloud. I spent hours and hours playing this game as a kid, and began to search for similar games. At the age of 11, I didn't even realize that Dark Cloud was a JRPG or even what a JRPG was. It kind of just snowballed from there.

So, Fellow PSNPals, if you are like me, what (JRPG) game or game series started the JRPG madness for you?

We as the gaming community have problems with putting games in the right genre. Was Dark Cloud a JRPG or ARPG? 

The answer to your question. I wouldn't say it was madness but Xenogears really pushed me into the genre. I also hear I'm in for a treat when I get Xeno-Blade Chronicles and Xeno-Blade C.

I also remember a game on the Dreamcast called skies of arcadia that push me in as well. 

Edit: I just found out it was A-rpg but who cares anyway.

Edited by Bear

Zelda which is almost an rpg. Secret of Mana on the snes followed by FF6 (western) gave me a taste. The real beginningfor me is Devil Summoner and Devil Sumoner Soul Hackers on the Sega Saturn, These 2 games took over my life for months and once they where done I was purposely buying jrpg imports or localized versions.

As little child I stole Pokemon Red and Zelda - Links Awakening... Yes, its true... but today Im totally too nice and shiny. ^_^ People understand my supernice personality wrong and acting like someone had attacked them... and because Im superhonest, seriously, most people would keep it as secret that they stole something... :P

Anyway...

Guess these were my first JRPGs... 

Some years later a buddy of my mom gifted me a PS1 and I played Breath of Fire 3, Breath of Fire 4, Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 8.

After that I wanted Breath of Fire 1, Breath of Fire 2, Golden Sun 1 and Golden Sun 2 for GBA.

Im even playing Pokemon today with 24... I dont care, I play every Pokemon. The best ones for me are so far X (3DS), Colloseum and X.D [yes, thats it name, really] (Gamecube).

Also I played nearly every Zelda since I got A Link to the Past somewhere to christmas. This and Minish Cap are the best for me. Oh and Links Awakening of course.

... Then I got a job and with my first money I bought a XBox360, because society. (What a waste...)

Then, a year and three months ago and with zero friends, I thought about my past and something is really missing.

.... Dude, I really would want to play something like Breath of Fire... NOW!

And here I am, with a massive backlog of over 100 titles! ^_^

So many things to catch up on! xD

Edited by Neptune2

Well, the first ever JRPG I played is I guess Pokemon since it is an RPG and it is from Japan, I loved Pokemon. I played Pokemon from Elemantry School all the way to Junior Year of High School, I even conviced People who once dropped the game to go back into playing it. Though in Senior Year, I quit Pokemon due to hating how the introduce features and then remove them the next generation. I also got tired of shooting, and fighting games due to overplaying them and I was thinking about to quitting video gaming until I started seeing this game appear in every gaming section I went to for 2 months straight, the game was Hyperdimension Neptunia, my first thought was "what a stupid piece of shit, like anyone would play this" but the more I saw it, the more interest I had for it and then one day, I saw it again I said "God damn it, not you again" and my sister noticed it and I told her about it and she said to just get the game since I have nothing to lose. Interesting enough it turned out to be one of my favorite series of all time and replaced pokemon and it introduced to more JRPGs games.

I can't remember if it was Shining In The Darkness or Shining Force on the Sega Mega Drive (or Sega Genesis, if you live in the US). Like most of the posters above me, I didn't know it was a JRPG at the time but it certainly paved the way for my PS1 and PS2 gaming collections. It's a pity that there aren't as many turn-based RPGs being released in favor, I suppose, of trying to appeal to more people by going all "real time". I used to love planning my strategy 10 moves ahead and seeing things either (1) end in glorious triumph with all my little dudes still alive or (2) end in catastrophic defeat by turn 3. 

We as the gaming community have problems with putting games in the right genre. Was Dark Cloud a JRPG or ARPG? 

The answer to your question. I wouldn't say it was madness but Xenogears really pushed me into the genre. I also hear I'm in for a treat when I get Xeno-Blade Chronicles and Xeno-Blade C.

I also remember a game on the Dreamcast called skies of arcadia that push me in as well. 

Edit: I just found out it was A-rpg but who cares anyway.

For me, any game that is heavily Japanese influenced, whether it was made in Japan or not, I consider it a JRPG even if it is labeled as otherwise.

Plus, it still gravitated me to that genre whether it's technically one or not.

Pokémon blue was another

For me, any game that is heavily Japanese influenced, whether it was made in Japan or not, I consider it a JRPG even if it is labeled as otherwise.

Plus, it still gravitated me to that genre whether it's technically one or not.

Pokémon blue was another

I have no problem with that, please don't think I was insulting you about that game community thing I said. Great game and it was pretty much a Sony version of Zelda with a beautiful twist. I hope Sony have good ties with Level-5 cause a DC3 would be awesome. 

Sorry, I was late to pokemon and I think I got red first then yellow.

Edited by Bear

I have no problem with that, please don't think I was insulting you about that game community thing I said. Great game and it was pretty much a Sony version of Zelda with a beautiful twist. I hope Sony have good ties with Level-5 cause a DC3 would be awesome. 

Sorry, I was late to pokemon and I think I got red first then yellow.

I didn't take it that way, Bear, but I did believe I should have explained better.

Also, how did we all forget Pokémon? Though I was more of just a Pokémon lover in general as a kid. I kind of still am! xD