How did you catch JRPG sickness?

Beyondthegrave07

The first time I was aware of the term JRPGs was when I played FF8 as a kid. After that FFX.

But what made me really love the genre was when a friend showed me Disgaea for the PS2.

Ever since, I play (or am going to play) every game Nippon Ichi releases and it opened a whole world full of great games (like Tales of, Atelier and so on)

2ujm905.jpg

Loved watching my brother play FF7-10 when I was like 7 years old, and got obsessed with level ups, stats and the characters. I even grinded his FF7 party from like 88-99, he gave me a $1 every level up lol.

After that I really wanted to get immersed into my own RPG, I played 100s of hours of Pokemon prior to all of this but my first "real" RPG was Golden Sun on the GBA, which is still to this day one of my favorite games of all time.

Man I was a late bloomer. Didn't play my first jRPG till I was 24. I've been gaming since about 7 years old. Bleh I just don't understand how or why but oh well. I now love them and am kind of on the verge of being completely obsessed. I started out on the 360. Played my first one which was Enchanted Arms. I just loved how it played. The battle system was fun and unique. I really enjoyed the storyline as well. I think the reason I loved it the most is I'm a stickler for raising stat's. I love maxing out everything and these games are full of them. When I finished that I was like, Woaaaaaaaa. I need me some more of these games and I did some digging and found out what the jRPG genre actually was (Strange I never knew). I went on to the following basically in this order....

Final Fantasy XIII

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Lost Odyssey (I think this one took me over 2 years to beat it all).

Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns

Now I've been waiting for some more but I've really fell hook-line and sinker on the FF stuff. I'm on a backtracking mission and right now I'm currently working through FFX on the PSVita. I don't have a PS3 or otherwise I would be in complete jRPG paradise. Looking forward to some new jRPG's upcoming on the PS4 and whatever I can get my hands on with the Vita. I don't know many other jRPG's yet but I'm going to write down a list from this topic and have a good look into them. Need more! Must have more jRPG's hehe :D

PS. OdysseyPS - I see you like Attack on Titan from your Sig. Can't wait for Season 2. Gruesome wait I must say!

Edited by phobzy85

I still cannot comprehend why did they have to change the name =D

I could never refer to Dragon Quest otherwise xD

Direct quote from the Dragon Quest page on wikipedia:

"Early in the series the Dragon Quest games were released under the title Dragon Warrior in North America to avoid trademark conflict with the pen-and-paper role-playing game DragonQuest. Square Enix did not register the Dragon Quest trademark for use in the United States until 2002."

Pokemon Crystal and Paper Mario, both games were really good and I still have a soft spot for the first two Paper Mario games despite them being quite lacking for RPGs. 

As a kid I was probably a bigger sucker for Medabots than Pokemon though, even crafting my own 'medabot' out of cardboard and things like that. Obviously the moment I saw this game in store I just had to get it and boy did it deliver, I even replayed it a couple years ago and it's actually a pretty decent game, such a shame the other Medarot games were never localized.

Being able to walk into the 'world' of your favorite anime serie was just beyond awesome as a kid. I guess that's also the appeal of Youkai watch, these games are a good starting point for our furture JRPG lovers I think.  :lol:

Medabots_Metabee_Version_Cover.jpg

It even says  'RPG' in the title, can it get any more real than that!?

2 games fueled my passion.

-Dark Cloud- Went home sick from work one day. Stopped to get some medicine and as I was waiting in line I noticed a copy of Dark Cloud sitting in the bargain bin. I loved everything about the game. Weapon leveling, georama building and secret dungeons.

This made me try my all time favorite game....

-Disgaea: Hour of Darkness...... The rest is Prinny history for me...

Edited by broy300
  • Like 2