Super Street Fighter 4 Trials Advice/Help

Dark_Tooth69

Congratulations once again on earning such a prestigious trophy, man.  The platinum is guaranteed for you now - you've done all the heavy lifting, so now it's just a whole load of mindless grinding.  If you can push yourself through all of that (700 Ranked wins?! Ugh.), then you'll land it for sure. :)

I only have 4 trials left with T. Hawk, and then he'll be the first character whose trials I actually complete, lol.  I'll be sure to ask you for any tips here if I need them! :D

• Like 1

You're a good person, I suspect that when USF4 drops on PS4, people will ask for help on the trials or just share-play them.

Yeah that came to mind as well. It better have a separate trophy list or this plat is gonna go from Ultra Rare to Very Rare.

Congratulations once again on earning such a prestigious trophy, man.  The platinum is guaranteed for you now - you've done all the heavy lifting, so now it's just a whole load of mindless grinding.  If you can push yourself through all of that (700 Ranked wins?! Ugh.), then you'll land it for sure. :)

I only have 4 trials left with T. Hawk, and then he'll be the first character whose trials I actually complete, lol.  I'll be sure to ask you for any tips here if I need them! :D

Thanks dude. I'm taking what's left for the plat pretty slow but I'll get there eventually.

Nice! Yeah be sure to let me know if you need help with any of them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'd say that C. Viper is worse than El Fuerte, maybe Ibuki as well due to her Jump Cancel in to Ultra. Balrog is a bit higher on my list too, simply because holding back after doing the headbutt is kind of annoying for me on PS3. Found it much easier on 360.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been stuck with Guile 20 (considered a hard one) for two days now. It's been a major pain but I just found this video here with great explanation:

I'll practice this later on and confirm if it truly works or not.

Hope this helps!

Been stuck with Guile 20 (considered a hard one) for two days now. It's been a major pain but I just found this video here with great explanation:

I'll practice this later on and confirm if it truly works or not.

Hope this helps!

If you charge up to a level 3 focus, you can dash before you let go and already start charging before you've even moved.

Next segment, MP sonic boom + super. Try making a half a circle motion holding down back all the way up to top right, assuming you are standing on the left side. Key here is to make sure you hit every angle of this 180 motion, followed up quickly by a flash kick. Try ending your flash kick top right, instead of the normal vertical.

As for the ultra, try launching it as soon as you hit the ground.

If you are struggling with landing the sonic boom super, practice your flash kick into a super

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Advices for random annoying trials you might encounter (Ps3 controller):

-Advice 1: Makoto no.24

When you need the part from super to ultra. Do not perform the ultra motion and continue to do so while super is being executed. You have to begin performing it as soon as you see the super is finishing its animation or else it'll whiff for some reason.

I performed the commands different times from the one above and failed miserably.

On the other hand, I passed the trial at the second try by doing the motion at the time stated.

-Advice 2: Cammy trial 22.

I found this combo easier with joystick. Do complete circular motions at different paces in order to get the timing right (continously so you can repeatedly do the EX-Kicks). It's harder to stick with the input shown as you have to "cut" the circular movement to a certain part (thanks grimydawg for pointing this out) and re-do the motion again on split seconds.

-Advice 3: Sagat trial 24

Imo it's best done with a D-pad. The hardest part is the 1-frame from C-lp to H-tiger upper right?

It is imposible to do the common input into Tiger Uper after the light punch unless you're Flash with the fingers so don't bother with it. This trial is more tricky than anything:

When you get into crouch-mp HOLD both down and forward while you connect the middle punch. Now, as soon as you push your light punch button release both directionals and press them again ASAP while also pressing the HP button. If done right you should connect the H-Tiger Upper almost immediately. The rest is a simple FADC into ultra (btw remember not to perform it so soon in corner, it'll 90% whiff).

-Advice 4: Zangief 24

Use the same method as Sagat 24. This is another trial that's more tricky than hard.

Hold both down and forward when it's time to execute the 4 consecutive lks. You will have to be quicker than Sagat when you have to release and press them again for Zangief's tech (forgot the name, srry).

-Advice 5: Chun-Li Trial 22

Imo the hardest trial for Chun-Li. Needless to say, I found this one better on D-pad as it will let you pull the super much faster than Joystick. The timing with this trial is tricky: as you finish the first input, you'll notice the "Light-blue wind" begin to disappear. This is when you begin your super input. Not much else to say except practice the super in order to get it at a fast pace. The timing is ap. 2 frames after all.

-Advice 6: Sakura 17

This one felt annoying to perform as asked. After the second C-lk (crouch-light kick), throw an EX- Shunpukyaku as it will give you more time to execute the EX-Shouoken after kicking Dan in the air. Don't worry if it doesn't connect the first time, it requires a bit of timing to execute successfully.

-Advice 7: Balrog Trials  19, 23 and 24

Much easier on joystick. The hardest part of these three trials is maintaining the charge before and after his infamous headbutt.

Is this possible? yes.

Note: for obvious reasons, skip the c-lp and lk part from 19 and focus on the joystick movement.

When you arrive at the part of c-lp and lk, instead of doing the usual down-up for headbutt, do something similar to a 225:motion_rcw.png instead, meaning it should start from your left down-back (or left diagonal down input if you prefer) position and finishing in an left up-back position (left diagonal up).  Keep the joystick at the edge all the time, else the ultra (or super in 19) will lose the charge and , consequently, make it much harder to input.

By the way, do these on corner and use kick buttons instead of punches. After you make the necessary inputs for either super or ultra using these, and if you keep them pressed after the animation stops, Balrog will perform upward punches instead of straights, having more chances of connecting.

Feel free to pm me if you don't get any of these advices, English isn't my first language so it's understandable. Do bear in mind that there's a lot of info at a google search distance with other characters, so please don't come asking without searching first.

Best of luck.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra

I'll like to add two cents to this thread from personal experience:

Advice 1:

when doing Makoto no.24, especifically the part from super to ultra. Do not perform the ultra motion and continue to do so while super is being executed. You have to begin performing it as soon as you see the super is finishing its animation or else it'll whiff for some reason.

I performed the commands different times from the one above and failed miserably.

On the other hand, I passed the trial at the second try by doing the motion at the time stated.

Advice 2: Cammy trial 22.

I found this combo easier with joystick. Do complete circular motions at different paces in order to get the timing right. It's harder to stick with the input shown as you have to "cut" the circular movement and perform it again on split seconds.

Cheers.

You don't do complete circular motions....  You're literally doing a 225.  That's all you're doing.

Edited by grimydawg

You don't do complete circular motions....  You're literally doing a 225.  That's all you're doing.

That's why I said It's harder to stick with the inputs shown. I found easier to repeatedly perform those techniques by doing continous full circular motions and timing the 3-kicks button. 

I'll edit it so more ppl won't get confused.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

I replayed this yesterday for the hell of it, I did zangief, bison and juri's trials with no problem also did  all of c viper except 21., then I tried ibuki and hakan and I can't do anything. The biggest problems for me are those 1 frame links I can't even do hakan's crouch LK x 3 at all. Some characters trials are no problem if they don't have those crazy links, I don't understand how to do them. Milliseconds of timing, but still it doesn't make sense that a crouch LK into cr LK should be so hard.

Edited by Tomoko Kuroki

I replayed this yesterday for the hell of it, I did zangief, bison and juri's trials with no problem also did  all of c viper except 21., then I tried ibuki and hakan and I can't do anything. The biggest problems for me are those 1 frame links I can't even do hakan's crouch LK x 3 at all. Some characters trials are no problem if they don't have those crazy links, I don't understand how to do them. Milliseconds of timing, but still it doesn't make sense that a crouch LK into cr LK should be so hard.

Hakan contains those trials where you have to learn how to restrain your button finger from mashing. Yes, they do require specific links for connecting as he has some sort of "delay" where you can't do anything for few miliseconds.

First of all I suggest you watch VesperArcade's videos. Then look at the animation of Hakan's lks. Pay close attention when does Vesper thinks it's a good time to perform the second and so on. For example:

If you see that Hakan can perform a second kick as soon as he's retracting his foot, then try to mimic that timing down. It'll narrow down the interval of time you think you're good to go. From there it's just practice around that interval and you'll eventually get it down.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hakan contains those trials where you have to learn how to restrain your button finger from mashing. Yes, they do require specific links for connecting as he has some sort of "delay" where you can't do anything for few miliseconds.

First of all I suggest you watch VesperArcade's videos. Then look at the animation of Hakan's lks. Pay close attention when does Vesper thinks it's a good time to perform the second and so on. For example:

If you see that Hakan can perform a second kick as soon as he's retracting his foot, then try to mimic that timing down. It'll narrow down the interval of time you think you're good to go. From there it's just practice around that interval and you'll eventually get it down.

Hope this helps.

Yeah I might try it, I like trails  in games but 1 frame links seem superhuman to do.

For me Juri, Abel and The three quesadilha bomb sequence from El Fuerte were the worst :P

Yes I have the platinum :P

I got platinum trophy on both Street Fighter IV when PSN was offline some years ago :P

I can't believe you find juri was hard I had no problem doing her's at all, and I only use controller :o

Yeah I might try it, I like trails  in games but 1 frame links seem superhuman to do.

I can't believe you find juri was hard I had no problem doing her's at all, and I only use controller :o

Remember to use Ex oil with hakan before every trial. I think the 1 frames aren't the problem since you could do Zangief's cr. lk links. Oil up and he'll be a piece of cake.

• Like 1

Remember to use Ex oil with hakan before every trial. I think the 1 frames aren't the problem since you could do Zangief's cr. lk links. Oil up and he'll be a piece of cake.

...Now I see why I felt Hakan a bit harder than Zangief lol. Never knew this trick.

• Like 1

So I have a question here, I play with a controller and I was looking at tricks to playing sf4 and there's all those "plinking" "doubletapping" weird ass things you can do on a joystick (easier it seems). But are these necessary to learn for the trials ? Because I've never heard of these in any other fighting game before.

• Like 1

So I have a question here, I play with a controller and I was looking at tricks to playing sf4 and there's all those "plinking" "doubletapping" weird ass things you can do on a joystick (easier it seems). But are these necessary to learn for the trials ? Because I've never heard of these in any other fighting game before.

No, they're just little techniques to make combos slightly easier to connect.

• Like 3

I only use plinks for Kara throws. I never plink in combos to make links easier and I still got it done. They're not necessary by any means.

• Like 1

I just wanna say, to everyone who did these, you have my deepest respect. I tried a few different characters, gen, adon, and some of these are just insane. I don't think I'll ever achieve these to be perfectly honest, though I'll try once in a while, like i'm doing now  ;)

You guys are beasts xD

Edited by Tomoko Kuroki
  • Like 1

I just wanna say, to everyone who did these, you have my deepest respect. I tried a few different characters, gen, adon, and some of these are just insane. I don't think I'll ever achieve these to be perfectly honest, though I'll try once in a while, like i'm doing now  ;)

You guys are beasts xD

Stick with the hardest characters, else you'll feel all the road very bumpy. Tooth's way of clasifying who's hard and who's not in the OP is spot-on imo. I found that taking breaks with easy ones is counterproductive to a certain extent. Again, imo, going from hardest to easiest is the better way of approach.

Btw you're not the only one who thought that at first when arriving at certain chars, but don't dwelve too much in your thoughts, else you'll lose motivation. Trials just require practice and a bit of toying with inputs.

We are no beasts by any means :).

Edited by Lord_of_Ra
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The first time was hard for me, but on the PS4 version I was able to complete in a few tries :) Other reason maybe because Juri is the most boring character ever... trying to get rank C with her was like an eternity :(