"Real" Gamers vs "Fake" gamers

InverseSquared

I think it's hard to define casual/hardcore - for example, someone might only play WoW and never touched another game, but they play WoW 5+ hours a day and raid 3 nights a week.  Most would call them a hardcore gamer. On the other hand, there is a girl at work who plays candy crush at every break and lunch and is level 200+ whatever, but she is most definitely not even a gamer, nor would she call herself one - she thinks "video games" are for kids and doesn't even recognize that candy crush is a video game.  I think a lot of it goes into how seriously a person takes their own gaming - do they make time to play, or just play when they are bored?  do they try to master a game, or just get through the story once and move on?  do they talk about games with their friends and on forums, or do they pretend to their friends that they don't play games at all?  A lot of these factors would make me call someone a gamer or not, or hardcore vs. casual.

Now, for the "fake" gamer - I have to say recently I had an experience when buying some video games at Target.  The guy in electronics was trying so hard to make small talk to me about video games and it was SO obvious to me that he had no idea what he was talking about.  It really annoyed me, and now I won't buy games at that Target again because I don't want to have to talk to him.  It was like he kept saying things that either he had read or heard but trying to sound like it was his own experience, and he WOULDN'T STOP TALKING.  I walked out of there thinking he was a complete "gamer poser" because for some reason he wanted me to think he was a serious gamer but he didn't have the experience to pull it off. 

• Like 1

If somebody has a car, would you ever ask you if he´s a real or a fake driver, because he´s only driving that car once a week...

I´d never ask myself if I am a gamer or not, I just like playing games. I only know, that I´m  not really good at playing games, because I

started too late as half a grandpa :-)

If somebody has a car, would you ever ask you if he´s a real or a fake driver, because he´s only driving that car once a week...

I´d never ask myself if I am a gamer or not, I just like playing games. I only know, that I´m  not really good at playing games, because I

started too late as half a grandpa :-)

As long as you're having fun, that's all that matters :yay:.

I really don't get the self-proclaiming. Who cares if you think you're a gamer and think someone else is not. Meh... as long as it makes you happy... I guess...

I really don't get the self-proclaiming. Who cares if you think you're a gamer and think someone else is not. Meh... as long as it makes you happy... I guess...

It's a pride thing.  When there are SO MANY people who say that gaming is juvenile and that gamers are losers with no life, it creates a desire to justify or self-affirm.  It's not nearly as bad as it was, say, ten years ago, now that gaming systems can provide cinematic experiences and have "real" actors in them, but there is still a lot of disdain for gaming, especially with "professionals".  I've always thought it odd that people will read all seven Harry Potter books back to back or binge watch 50 episodes of Breaking Bad, and yet still say that gaming is a "waste of time", but there you have it.  Self-identifying as a gamer makes people feel like they are part of a group that "gets it" - and differentiates themselves from people who might play a game here or there but still overall feel that it's a pastime for kids or unemployed losers in their mom's basement.

I think it's hard to define casual/hardcore - for example, someone might only play WoW and never touched another game, but they play WoW 5+ hours a day and raid 3 nights a week.  Most would call them a hardcore gamer. On the other hand, there is a girl at work who plays candy crush at every break and lunch and is level 200+ whatever, but she is most definitely not even a gamer, nor would she call herself one - she thinks "video games" are for kids and doesn't even recognize that candy crush is a video game.  I think a lot of it goes into how seriously a person takes their own gaming - do they make time to play, or just play when they are bored?  do they try to master a game, or just get through the story once and move on?  do they talk about games with their friends and on forums, or do they pretend to their friends that they don't play games at all?  A lot of these factors would make me call someone a gamer or not, or hardcore vs. casual.

Now, for the "fake" gamer - I have to say recently I had an experience when buying some video games at Target.  The guy in electronics was trying so hard to make small talk to me about video games and it was SO obvious to me that he had no idea what he was talking about.  It really annoyed me, and now I won't buy games at that Target again because I don't want to have to talk to him.  It was like he kept saying things that either he had read or heard but trying to sound like it was his own experience, and he WOULDN'T STOP TALKING.  I walked out of there thinking he was a complete "gamer poser" because for some reason he wanted me to think he was a serious gamer but he didn't have the experience to pull it off. 

Just the kind of answer id expect from a fellow St.Louis.....ian 

I personally dont care what people play. As long as they dont try and push it on me or act like your 2nd 1/2 of your post. I deal with people like that ALL the time. Really gets on my nerves. Dont know why. Just gets under my skin. Even more so when they try and correct me when im talking about games they havent played and probably know 0 about. 

• Like 1

Everyone plays games. You might as well be calling yourself an "Eater"

However there are different types of gamers. People who play games of all genres as a hobby/way of spending time. People who play games excessively because its like their favorite thing to do. People who play games casually and never deviate from a certain formula. Like mobile gamers. People who only buy what they see on the commercials, like the latest call of duty. And so on. 

Being called a "Gamer" has no real meaning. And everyone has their own tastes. Which is a beautiful thing when you think about it :3 This world would be pretty boring if everyone liked the same things.

I like the idea of gamer as someone who enjoys a game/series deeply rather it a be a mobile game or a pc game and everything all around. We're all gamers, even your mother who casually plays solitaire on her laptop is a gamer in a sense.

Edited: for getting off-topic.

Edited by timothyonfire

To me (not that I consider myself arbiter of all interpretation, but mine is the only perspective I can give.), a Gamer is someone who regularly plays video games. I don't associate it with board games, D&D, LARPing, sports, or cards, but if you do, I'm not going to fight you on it. As far as Casual, fake, real, hardcore, or any other qualifier I've forgotten, these are just ways people distance themselves from others, either out of disgust or just to paint clearer picture of the individual's place within the group. I've heard Protestants say Catholics aren't real Christians. That's how I view this. From my perspective, it's just petty distinction where there isn't an important distinction to be made, except within the circles that are themselves within the circle.

This is a silly topic. There is no need to label someone as a "real" or "fake" or "hardcore" or "casual" gamer, as everyone who enjoys video games is entitled to an opinion and to play as many or few games as they wish. Just because someone doesn't play this or only plays that doesn't change the fact that they are actively engaging in some way with a hobby many of us are passionate about. I'd argue that rather than complaining about "fake or casual" gamers, you attempt to show them new games or experiences they may enjoy. My wife loved those silly tap-tap-tap games as I call them (Candy Crush and the like) but I was able to get her to try the 3DS about a month ago and she is now 100 hours into Fantasy Life and loves to update me about the adventures of her "Po."

All that said, I do have one story about a Gamestop employee who was a fake gamer. He worked across from my restaurant while I was in college and would literally buy every new game that came out for every system (at the time it was PC, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, DS, and PSP I believe) and never play them. He would then trade them all in, while sitting at a table near the Gamestop to unwrap the ones he didn't open yet and buy a new stack of games. I'd try to engage him on conversation, but he never had played anything. Halo, Final Fantasy, GTA, Mario, Zelda? No matter what I inquired about he was ignorant. He must have wasted tens of thousands of dollars (he claimed he was a trust fund kid who only worked for the discount). It was absolutely pathetic. I'd rather only be able to afford one game and enjoy it than buy hundreds a month to claim I played them.

• Like 1

If you play games every week, I'd consider you a gamer. Even if it's on Facebook or your phone. They're still classified as games. If you only want to stick to the same series or genre, same thing. Trying to categorize it any further just gets complicated and dwells more into personal opinion. So long as you aren't putting me down for my interests, I could care less. Why should I? Not liking something is no reason to get ticked off. The only thing that ticks me off are those who stick to the same system and act superior about it. 

A 'fake' is just someone who claims to know about games but has never touched one. Or, even if they have, it wasn't long enough for them to have an opinion about it. 

Also makes me think of a term elitists would use to refer to those 'lesser' than them.

Hm.

I have a friend with 44 lvl psn, more than 200 plats.

I spent near one year total online in WoW, and didn't play other games during my WoW experience.

We are different types of gamers, but you agree, we both are absolutely gamers.

Or, 4example, speedrunners. Most of them plays only one game, which one they are trying to speedrun, but they play this game every day for many hours. They are also gamers.

If you like to spend your free time playing games - you are gamer. That's my point.

Edited by mokrinsky

I'm happy to call anybody who wants to be a called a gamer a gamer,  even if they don't play video games but just enjoy playing the alphabet game in the car when they take long trips. I think one of the greatest things about video games is that they are naturally inclusive. You don't have to be a certain height or age or personality type to enjoy video games. Everyone can enjoy them and there are tons of different types of games for tons of different types of tastes. I like to fully embrace that aspect.

Viva la Gamers.

In my opinion, mobile gamers and people who only play CoD or just one or two games are casuals but when people play a variety of games (even if that does include mobile games and/or CoD, Battlefield) that's when I consider them "gamers" if that makes sense. Also I should add, before you start attacking me because of what I am saying or because I play CoD, I also play a variety of games too. I play GTA, CoD, Need For Speed, Far Cry, Medal of Honor, Uncharted, Battlefield, Borderlands, Fifa, NBA, Destiny and many other games and genres. 

To the console point, I honestly don't care what system you play or if it's only one (be it 360, xb1, ps3, ps4, PC, vita, 3ds etc.). If you follow the above points I made you are a gamer in my mind.