"Real" Gamers vs "Fake" gamers

InverseSquared

People play video-games for entertainment. I do, you do and many, many others do too. I play games on my consoles, on my handhelds, on my phone, PC, you name it. If it has games, I'll play on it. Some people prefer to play on one console or handheld specifically. I have friends who only have a 3DS, some only have an Xbox One and some only have a PC. Heck, some of my friends only play games on their phone like Temple Run or Candy Crush.

Now, the real question is: Does solely playing one game, or sticking to one console and shunning away others make you in any way, shape or form a "Fake" gamer or not even a "Gamer" at all? What if someone only played Call of Duty? Does that make them a fake? Does it tick you off that they don't want to play any other type of game other than their favourite? Be it Call of Duty, Need for Speed or Final Fantasy?

My take on this goes a little something like this: I think everyone who plays video-games to enjoy themselves are gamers. Do you really like a certain series of games and are a diehard fan? You're a gamer. Do you like to play puzzle games on your phone from time to time while riding public transportation? You're a gamer. Do you enjoy playing games to beat your record over and over again until you're satisfied? You're a gamer. Get what I'm saying? Everyone who touches a game from time to time is a gamer. Don't want to be called one? That's fine with me. Nobody is a "Fake" gamer. Play what you want, when you want.

I want to hear what people have to say about this topic. Everyone has an opinion and I'll respect it. Glad you took the time to read. 

I have to say, this is a very good opinion piece. The only thing that is bugging me is, do you have a beard?

I won't attack you bud, I respect your opinion. Read my thread, you'll know that I'm accepting of people who play anything

Haha, I know you won't attack me but I could just see someone somewhere trying to start a shitstorm :P

I don't really understand the logic behind this. What if people do both? I do both. What does that make me exactly? When I want to sit down with a game and enjoy a story, I make time for it. If I'm about to do something but need to kill time, I'll whip out my 3DS or flick on the PS4 and play for a few, then carry on. Care to elaborate further on what you wrote? It seems pretty vague. 

"If I'm about to do something but need to kill time"

Since you were going to do something but you chose to game instead, youre being a gaming, not a time killer.

If theres another time where you have nothing to do and decide to game, that wouldnt make you a fake since we already know that there are times you would sacrifice other things to game instead.