PS4 Hard Drive Full - what is the best plan of attack?

SLE_304

Ok so I have now maxed out the data saved on the PS4 HDD.

What have others done in this situation in terms of additional storage?

Secondly, if I were to delete the data from games do the trophies still remain on my profile or do they disappear with the game data?

Thanks in advance for any help and examples that can be provided.

SLE

I recommend buying a new 2TB hardrive( I bought this one). Easy to install just watch a youtube video the whole process takes like 5min

. Make sure you back up your save files though before you replace the hard drive.

Trophies do not get deleted when you delete game data :)

Edited by Langy900
  • Like 1

500gb of games is a shit load. Do you have other stuff as well?

500GB on the PS4 is waayyyy to small. Most big AAA games are between 30-50GB :S It soon fills up. Sony should of put at least 1TB in from the start. 

Upgrading is definitely the way to go.

• Like 3

Secondly, if I were to delete the data from games do the trophies still remain on my profile or do they disappear with the game data?

SLE

Maybe you have some finished games that you wont play anymore, remember that every disc game you play, installs whole data to hdd. Deleting game from menu shouldn't delete save, because they are placed in another location.  

2TB is a reasonable size to purchase. That will last you the rest of the generation, or simply 2-3 more years if you never uninstall any games.

My 1.5TB is 70% filled with games already since I never uninstall them. You can get a HDD larger than 2TB but it's not recommended (3.5") but this is a sketchy area since it uses more of the PS4's power. However, there is a device releasing soon that will allow these large HDDs to easily be used on your PS4.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/01/06/nyko-reveals-3-5-ps4-hard-drive-bay-and-at-ces-2015/

Edited by GIONAScm2

There's a few simple options -

Sync trophies to the PSN. They'll be permanently stored online unless you wipe your Profile on the PS4 before syncing.

Backup Game Saves to USB and / or PS+. That's all you really need if you intend to go back and play a game again.

Delete completed games, or those you don't intend to finish for awhile to free up tonnes of space, after backing up its Game Save. Downloading from your PS Store Library or reinstalling from disc is easy.

Transfer recorded videos / screenshots to USB, then delete from the PS4.

Upgrade to an internal 2TB 2.5" HDD, or up to 8TB external 3.5" HDD. The latter will require something like the Nyko HDD expansion - it'll make your PS4 look like a pregnant whale, but it'll do the job.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 2

I recommend buying a new 2TB hardrive( I bought this one). Easy to install just watch a youtube video the whole process takes like 5min

. Make sure you back up your save files though before you replace the hard drive.

Trophies do not get deleted when you delete game data :)

Definitely do this 2TB will keep you going for a while and also you will be able to delete some finished games by the time you fill it anyways.

I've got the 2TB drive as well :)

I definitely suggest upgrading to a bigger hard drive, although I don't have enough games to fill up the 500 GB yet and hopefully won't anytime soon :P

Basically any game I have platinumed/ don't plan on playing anytime soon gets deleted. Anything else (like games I'm working on or fun multiplayer games) stay installed :)

• Like 1

Thankyou all for your responses :)

Will delete some data from Platinum games and also get me a new 2TB HD.

Good call, I had a spare 1TB when I got my PS4 but I would of brought a 2tb had I not.

Don't forget to back up your saves on USB or Plus if you haven't already though when you make the change

SLE

Well obviously delete stuff that you don't want. Yes if you delete the game data trophies will still remain as there tied to Sony's servers. You must be a newcomer if your asking that question lol.

I can't justify spending £85 on a 2TB HDD - That could buy quite a few games.

I actually think 500GB is sufficient - Realistically, how many games do you play at one time?

I tend to keep 5 or 6 games on the HDD, leaving lots of room for screenshots and video

Remember:-

• Anything bought from PSN is redownloadable forever.
  • Pop a game disc in, and you're up & running in 5 minutes from scratch
  • Profiles/Saved Games (very small files) remain on the system (and can be backed up) in case you ever want to play the game again
  • Like 2

500GB on the PS4 is waayyyy to small. Most big AAA games are between 30-50GB :S It soon fills up. Sony should of put at least 1TB in from the start. 

Upgrading is definitely the way to go.

Interesting side note - I read an interview somewhere where the Sony engineers were saying that their original plans for PS4 did not include a HDD at all, as they wanted to use the cloud to store all the games, etc. But the devs they consulted told them that they needed a HDD to be able to deliver the types of experiences they wanted to make. 

So we almost had no storage, and a machine that would have needed to be always connected to the internet to run...

M$ and Sony not so different after-all...?

• Like 1

How do you max out 500gb? I usually keep 3-5 games installed there shouldn't be a reason to keep 500gb worth of games on your HDD. 

If you're not playing anything or are done playing delete it. If you're crazy with videos/pictures I suggest you put them on a USB and then remove them from the system.

I hate to redownload shits, there's always so much to download these days especially with DLC after DLC after DLC... of stuff and then. a new HDD upgrade is fast simple clean and perfect and teh cost isnt that bad.

You could simply go with the good normal upgrade like a 

Samsung Seagate HN-M201RAD Momentus SpinPoint ST2000LM003 2TB 2.5" SATA II Notebook Hard Drive 9.5MM  120$

or if you have a little bit more skill and time you could go with 

Seagate Expansion STBX2000401 2TB 2.5-Inch USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive 95$

Only difference really is the 2nd one is still in a portable casing and once you open it up the drive inside is the same. not to mention its cheaper. so for 25$ difference.

edit: btw youll get abotu 1766GB, so dont worry you did something wrong and broke it.

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY