How scary is this game?

StormRacer872

So I recently started playing A:I, and as someone who very rarely plays horror games (as I'm not typically a fan of them), I have to say that my experience with the game thus far has been nothing short of terrifying, and I haven't even ran into the Alien yet! xD However, it is still quite fun, and you really can't beat the whole old-timey feel of the loading screens and intro credits. 

Now, with that being said, I have no idea what the rest of the game will be like compared to these fairly early parts. So I want you wonderful people to share your opinions: how scary is the game to you personally?

Also, to anyone who has completed the game, how many scripted jump scares are there, and in which chapters? By this, I'm not talking about when the Alien catches you, nor am I referring to a scripted event that takes place a good 10 feet away from you. I mean all up-in-your-buisness-this-shit's-right-in-front-of-you scripted jump scares :P

• Like 2

4 missions left for me till i complete my first playthrough. Personally haven't found any part of the game scary, tense and sometimes creepy seem more appropriate to describe it. I guess games like Silent hill 2 and Fatal Frame have desensitized me of recent horror games.

As far as jump scares they missed a lot of opportunities with the vents, was hoping for something similar out of the original alien film with Parker in the vents.

Edited by qxc

Having recently completed the game on Hard difficulty (the best experience), I found it absolutely terrifying. I can't really recall how many jump scares there were, but jump scare or not; still very frightening.

When I first encountered and had to deal with the presence of a Xenomorph, casually strolling about the place like as if it was no one's business, I was helpless. I kept dying. I'd hide in lockers, but it would always stick around. As soon as I left the locker, it seemed to come back and investigate.

Halfway through the game, inevitably, I got a lot better - I was a lot more cautious. But nonetheless, still hearing that green dot beep faster and come closer on the radar was always an uneasy feeling. And what really terrified me was when loud ambiance played (to alert you that you've been seen). And sometimes it would play even though I hadn't been seen - It felt very hyperbolic and made my heart race!

And then there was the chapter in which I found myself inside the Xenomorph hive (I was pretty scared at this point). Fortunately I was extremely careful and only had to deal with 2 facehuggers, no Xenomorphs.

I could continue, but I won't.  ^_^ And so far I've only referred to the Xenomorph, the androids and humans can be just as terrifying! (Okay, maybe not so much with the humans.)

But to subjectively conclude, Alien: Isolation is a terrifying yet addictive game. I loved the horror! But you have to be in the mood in order to play it and be patient enough to progress. Impatience will literally get you nowhere in this game. You will also need to crouch everywhere (on Hard, anyway), the only exceptions being when enemies are clearly not present on the radar. I'm glad I got Hard out of the way, and hopefully Novice will contrast a lot in terms of difficulty and will be a breeze to play through. 

Edited by Aela
  • Like 2

4 missions left for me till i complete my first playthrough. Personally haven't found any part of the game scary, tense and sometimes creepy seem more appropriate to describe it. I guess games like Silent hill 2 and Fatal Frame have desensitized me of recent horror games.

As far as jump scares they missed a lot of opportunities with the vents, was hoping for something similar out of the original alien film with Parker in the vents.

Tense! There you go, that's the best word to describe it :P It feels really tense for me. 

Ive been playing with my home theatre and the bass effect is amazing! However, i just started playing with headphones, and its a night and day difference! Being able to hear the alien left or right side in the vents above you makes it a thousand times more intense. Go ahead and just sprint in the wrong spot and you'll hear her coming! Amazing game.

• Like 1

Playing with a headset, if you're not already, makes it a thousand times more immersive. There are several scripted jumpscare spots, but why would I want to spoil the fun for you? ;)

Oh, don't worry, I play with the Playstation Pulse Elite, which has virtual surround sound. And how else do you play a horror game but in the dark as well? 

Frankly, I probably make it way more scary for myself xD

It messes with your mind more than anything else. Makes you pretty paranoid about where you're going.

Yeah, I'm at a part right now where I saw something run by and I'm guessing it's still in the general vicinity of where I am, so every corner I go around I'm paranoid that it'll jump out at me xD

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This game is absolutely amazing! I'm only on chapter 6. (Restarted on hard mode for the Trophy.) Died so many times it's untrue. So far I've found the Androids to be the creepiest. They just seem to appear behind you as you're creeping about, "What are you doing here!?" Well, pissing my pants thank you Mr synthetic!

As said, not scary but tense. Moving everywhere in slow motion. Really need to get back to it, spent far too much time playing Disney Infinity. I love Marvel!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I regularly watch Alien-Alien3 so I'm not even phased by it. Couple of times I've been like "wait how teh fuq have you got me" because he was way further away but mainly I'm used to it.

If you ever want to get really used to it I suppose you should save it at a point and let yourself die 100 times to get used to his grooves. Unless you want the one shot trophy. 

There are spoilers in my response, you've been warned :)

I haven't played Alien in a couple weeks but I'm on the chapter where Ripley finds the Xenomorph Hive in the ship's reactor. From here, it's gotten a lot more intense for me than the game has been. I've always felt somewhat terrified of the Xenomorph simply because it means restarting my chapter. The parts where you have to simple evade the alien are the most tense for me, half the time resulting in nervously laughing when my hiding spot worked. With the Hive chapter, I gotta deal with more than one alien plus the parasites which makes it a lot more tense. I wouldn't exactly call this game, or any game so far, "scary" as far as gameplay goes because eventually you get used to the death sequences or how the mechanics of the game are set up (No diss to CA, this game plays beautifully). But I definitely get a creepy factor from it and that's the kind of experience I look for in survival horror. I'm planning on buying a copy for the PS4 once I plat my ps3 one because i'm enjoying it so much

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ive been playing with my home theatre and the bass effect is amazing! However, i just started playing with headphones, and its a night and day difference! Being able to hear the alien left or right side in the vents above you makes it a thousand times more intense. Go ahead and just sprint in the wrong spot and you'll hear her coming! Amazing game.

Good tip, up till now i was also playing with the HT, but i'll give this a go ;)

Could be even better!

• 2 months later...

When I played this on my other account I started playing with a headset and in the dark to make it a more intense experience. I soon quit doing that. I found it jumpy as hell in general this game, mostly down to the way the saves work. You can't just run around as you would have to go back a fair bit so it really has you engrossed in the game. 
Im debating playing it through again on this account but I'm just not sure I'm ready to go through it all again. I found it just a little bit long and repetitive towards the end. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just started it some days ago, chapter 3 now. Strictly playing with lights off and headphones and it is AMAZING. Tense, creepy, it is even beautiful in a way, the audio work is fantastic. Most of the time I am crouching like there is no tomorrow expecting anything to come at me and in the end nothing happens. It is not what happens in the game, it is the fear of what may happen at anytime what makes the experience so damn good.

I am not ready for the xenomorph. I know I ain't.

WELP!

• 3 weeks later...

Bloody scary.

Let me put it out there.

I am literally a huge Alien nerd. I watched the first film at aged 8 (my parents rocked, although Nightmare on Elm Street at that age was a dick move lol) and to this day (I'm 33 almost 34) it has remained my number 1 film. I watch it maybe once every couple-few months and everytime it feels fresh. I even had the coolest life size Alien door poster, and multiply film posters and a few models aswel as books and comics.

SO. I am not afraid of Alien anymore. I have my big boy pants. 

Until this game.

I love it. It captures the exact feel of Alien, none of this cannon fodder nonsense from Aliens. I am only managing a checkpoint or level at a time. I'm playing on casual for my first run hopefully without dying so it's feeling even more tense as I attempt that. (I played it on pc prior on release so I have a idea of were to go ect). Even on casual were you can walk about alot more freely I have had one too many close calls. I literally can't handle more then a hour or so at a time so this will be a slow road to platinum but this game literally has me in nappies again and I love it for that.

And for those that don't find it scary, bravo you have bigger balls then me :lol:

Edited by FetchTheBall
  • Like 3

• 4 years later...

I just finished my 1st play through of this game and i just wanted to comment on this old post.  This game is downright INTENSE!!!  I don't think any game or even movie has put me that on the edge of my seat for so long.  I mean the closest thing may be Aliens the 2nd movie in the franchise.  I mean back in the 80's that was some intense shit.  

alien isolation was very well done from the music to the jump scares and the sound effects in general.  Much like the movies waiting on an elevator or a door to open while the alien is lurking in the general vicinity, wow, was it a lot to bear.  one of the most memorable moments for me i was in a vent with a door at the end of it.  The alien was outside So i was just waiting.  some vents the alien wouldn't enter but this one was larger than others.  suddenly I felt tingles going down my spine and i just had this eerie feeling something was off so i turned around looking down the long black tunnel that was the duct and I flicked my light to see the xenomorph barreling down the tunnel after me.   I had to take breaks because I was too wound up from this shit at times.

In watching the no death runs on hard I give props to the people who can do that because the alien does not follow any sort of predictable path.  Anyway now a no death run for myself, using cloud saves of course, and collectibles.  

Edited by steel6burgh
  • Like 1