How scary is this game?

StormRacer872

• 6 months later...

Currently playing Alien: Isolation and its very very good. There are some tense moments and its very atmospheric. I'm playing it on hard mode to achieve the Survivor trophy and hopefully the Alien: Isolation platinum trophy later on. I'm near completing the 10th mission. I save at every registration point as I'm trying to get the One Shot trophy. If Alien does spot you quickly pause and reload current save before you die. Going back to your last save when Alien gets you can be a pain as, although there are a few save points dotted around, there is sometimes a lot to do before you can save game again

I'd go as far to say its one of the best games I've ever played, although I can only spend about 2 hours on it before I need a break because it jangles the nerves somewhat!

The first few levels are quite easy going until you encounter the creepy androids in Mission 4. If you are spotted by them they follow you until they catch and beat you to death. There is no let up. As far as I know the only way of escaping, if spotted by them, is by hiding in a vent til they give up waiting for you to come out. I once ran past a save point into an elevator with 3 of them on my tail, I waited for a bit thinking they may disperse and them went back down the elevator for the save point and they were still waiting for me. Having the dialogue subtitles switched on helps with knowing if you're in trouble, when you've been spotted they talk to you and the dialogue appears at the bottom of the screen. Not all androids are evil, only the red eyed ones. In the early part of Mission 10 I wasted a lot of time avoiding the one on the stairwell only to discover he wasn't hostile.

Then there's the Alien. When its stalking you be very careful. Its can get very tense when you know its on the prowl. The R3 button is your friend, by crouching whilst moving you make a lot less noise than walking normally and its possible to stealthy move around levels when Alien is patrolling the area nearby, although movement is slow. I only walk normally when alien is not on motion tracker. I never run! Also keep your ears open because the noise Alien makes when its in the vents sounds much different to when its on the floor. Moving around when its in the vents is safe but always be prepared to hide! I turned the game music down to the lowest level as when Alien is near the music goes all dramatic and you need to hear Alien's footsteps getting nearer/further away or if its entered/exited the vent. Hide wherever you can, in the back of lockers, under tables, behind desks etc, even in corners - sometimes Alien walks straight past you and you aren't spotted. The Flamethrower is a good weapon if you're spotted by Alien and it charges at you but don't leave it too late to give it a blast or you're dead meat. The motion tracker helps somewhat but it can be misleading. Noise makers are good for a few seconds keeping Alien distracted whilst you go in the other direction. Watch out for security cameras, if you trigger the alarm then Alien appears soon after! I haven't encountered a Face-hugger alien yet but I believe its coming!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, junior107 said:

Each to their own 1f642.png

they did what they set out to do very well which was to create a tense game and to replicate the feeling of an alien movie.  It was one of my favorite game last year that I played through and the best horror/suspense type game I've ever played.  Of course I grew up with and loved the alien franchise.  Especially Aliens.  I thought they capture the atmosphere, sounds, and tense nature of the films and maybe even when as far as to make it better.  glad to hear you enjoyed it! 

• Like 1

It's scary but in a different kind of sense to something like Amnesia. I actually enjoy playing this game because you don't feel totally powerless all the time and it's broken up with sections where you won't get attacked by anything. It's at its most tense when you're going through the no deaths playthrough.

I definitely think it helps to be a fan of the movies and even more so if they were a part of your younger life. I grew up with Alien and Aliens and they went from movies which scared the absolute shit out of me as a kid to becoming two of my favourite movies of all time as I got older. So when I got my hands on Alien:Isolation, to be able to actually play interactively in a game-world that not only was massively faithful to the original Alien movie, but also a legit canonical entry into the Alien universe, was a massive massive deal for me. I thought they perfectly captured the claustrophobic and helpless feeling that you got watching the first movie. It took me back to when I watched the original movie as a kid wonderfully.

The making of this game is well worth some research - you can really tell the developers that created this were huge fans of the movies and that this was a bit of a passion project for them. Not only did they have full access to the movie studio assets and recorded sound, but they even managed to get Sigourney Weaver back in some capacity.

I'm loaded with bias because of the above - but honestly, one of my all time favourite games and one of the scariest.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Solid-Fisch said:

Finally got platinum in this game after 8 years and even on the lowest difficulty I foudn that game to be very tense and shocking. To me it's a masterpiece.

Yeah, it's a weirdly underrated game. I've replayed it a couple of days ago on another platform (god bless FPS boost, REALLY wish Sony had something like that) and while it didn't have the same impact as I already knew what to expect, it is an amazing game. It's more tense than scary - you're not afraid of the unknown, as you know what's gonna happen. You just don't know when or where. The alien has its flaws but can still surprise you even at the end of the game, unlike the Nemesis-like enemies from the RE series, which are just an annoyance half an hour after first meeting them. 

Also, this is a prime example of how a movie should be translated into a video game environment. It feels like an old school Alien movie, not like a game based on it. 

21 hours ago, the1andonly654 said:

Yeah, it's a weirdly underrated game. I've replayed it a couple of days ago on another platform (god bless FPS boost, REALLY wish Sony had something like that) and while it didn't have the same impact as I already knew what to expect, it is an amazing game. It's more tense than scary - you're not afraid of the unknown, as you know what's gonna happen. You just don't know when or where. The alien has its flaws but can still surprise you even at the end of the game, unlike the Nemesis-like enemies from the RE series, which are just an annoyance half an hour after first meeting them. 

Also, this is a prime example of how a movie should be translated into a video game environment. It feels like an old school Alien movie, not like a game based on it. 

I agree, this is the blueprint of how a videogame should look like when it's based on a movie. These graphic don't look like they're from 2014, to me they look as fresh as ever (when you love the oldschool style, which I do). And even the story is so good that to me it easily could be seen canon. Masterpiece!

Edited by Solid-Fisch