The Walking Dead: Season 2 Review (Spoiler Heavy)

Hello and welcome to my review of the Walking Dead season 2.

I will talk about my experience with the game here, and some choices.

Now be aware that this review will contain MAJOR SPOILERS.

So if you haven't played the game this review isn't for you sadly.

Pretty useless review then haha..

If you want to know about how I liked the game.

I think that this game is GREAT. I loved almost everything, and if you haven't, wich you need to, you have to play Season 1 that is even better imo.

All the choices matters and you really bond with everyone. You cry at parts (I promise especially at season 1) you smile at parts. The gameplay isn't very fun yet you're really into the game and I promise you will love this game if you like story telling. And at some parts you sweat and your heart pounds because its so intense. Yet you only press about one button and you can't do anything. This game has performance issues.

So from nom on now, MAJOR SPOILERS. Stop reading if you haven't played yet, it sucks to get it spoiled. I promise.

Luke - ''I don't know.. I guess I just wanted to get away from this shit from like 10 minutes..''

Mike - ''10 Minutes? Man, that's longer than i'd last at this point.''

Bonnie - ''HEY''

Luke - ''Alright, alright.. It wasn't 10 minutes''

Bonnie - ''Come on. We got a little one around''

Clem - ''That's gross''

This scene, was one of the best scenes in the entire Walking Dead: Season 2 imo.

Just as in the Last of Us the best scene was the scene when Joel and Ellie drove the car and talked.

A scene were you did absolutely nothing more than sit with a bunch of friends and for once, relax and have a good time. This scene is what makes Walking Dead special.

I will have to say. Im surprised, I couldn't even imagine that season 2 would be, pretty much as good as Season 1 was. It wasn't AS good, but almost.

A fact is that, I have never cried more to any video game than what I did when I played Season 1. That games ending made me really fucking sad. And not for 10 minutes, I have never reacted like that ever. And at that point, I realised what Walking Dead had made to me. It made me connect and bond with the characters, and I started to worry about Clem when she was alone. It made me cry so much when Lee died, it could've been my best friend who died. THAT, is the thing that makes Walking Dead one of the best series ever.

I mean better than most movies, games and tv shows. I think I never bonded more with characters, not even in Last of Us (Wich still was great)

The Walking Dead has an ability to make you bond with characters, they show every characters as much as they need. You get to know them and see who they're.

Anyone of these characters isn't forgotten and that's good. That made me care and bond, also pure hate some people. Wich I think, is brilliant. Give me one or two other games that is as good as Walking Dead when you're talking about bonding. I can't tell you one other game.

Personally, I fought for three people. Three people I really wanted to connect with, at the same exact time. Wich didn't work out well unfortunaly.

Nick, Luke and Kenny.

The hard part about this was, Kenny hated Nick and Luke, and vice versa.

I remember early on in the game, when you just had met Kenny, wich made me tear up, the smile and a little bit of luck they got that's hard to get these days. And Kenny whos been to hell and back. Anyway where was I.

You had just met Kenny again and you were going to eat, and Clem was the last one to sit down, and I had to sit with either Nick and Luke or Kenny. And I chose to sit with Kenny even though I really wanted to be with Luke and Nick, especially Luke. And the dissapointed face Luke had when he saw it. That's a thing characters do in Walking Dead. You really see when they get pissed or when they get happy or dissapointed.

The graphics isn't the best, no. I don't really care, but it's very cell-shaded and I mean its okay. BUT, you can really see peoples feelings. At one point of the game, I stole from a kiddo, Anyo I belive his name was, I hated that litte prick for some reasons. And when I said that to Luke, he answered with ''WHAT, you stole from a guy? You stole medicins from a guy?'' With an angry and dssapointed face. I exited the game and replayed that part so Luke didn't become dissapointed because I regreted my choice. Thats the only time I did that because he got really angry..

One after one, died. Every single person I met, died, just like in Season 1. People I bonded with, some turned, some died, some ran away.

At a late point in the game, I went to save Nick, Luke and Sarah, and on my way, I found a zombie. That zombie was Nick. That made me fucking sad, but I still had to save Luke.

I did it.

Later on in the game, Luke got shot in the leg, and that was the time I realised he wouldn't make it all the way.. Later on we walked on ice and I noticed Luke was behind and zombies followed us. And I realised, this is the time. And a moment later, he saved me in the water from a zombie, than drown. And honestly, that was heart breaking..

Have you heard ''I tried so hard. And came so far. But in the end. It doesn't even matters'' That song is the moral of Walking Dead.

And Kenny. Oh Kenny my dear Kenny.. I chose him to everything. I always protected him. I always got mad at other for complaining on Kenny. I get why they did that and they all have a valid point. But I just can't let Kenny go. He's the closest I got too Lee..

He had been through so much, and he had nothing left..

Even when Sarita turned into a zombie, and Kenny got so pissed at me and just screamed at me, I blamed myself and said it was okay.

And Kenny, he deservs an entire own review. Kenny has been through A L O T. I mean ALOT

He has lost his son, he has lost his wife, and his second wife, and all his friends (Except Clem and AJ) He became a monster, still I continued to stand at his side. People left and people died because of Kenny. Even Clem almost died (Wich was... No words. Fuck you Anyo)

But I still forgived Kenny.

In the end I was at a stop with Kenny and Jane and they fought to dead, and I had to make a choice that made me really fucking sad.. I had to choice who I wanted to live. I could kill Kenny or let Kenny kill Jane.

Even though everything I saw, everything Kenny had done, I knew how dangerous he was. I know how shitty everything was. I had too choose one, and I chose Kenny.

The point with talking about choices and death here. Is that this game, is choice such a big deal. The graphics makes you really see how dissapointed people get. Everything in this game feels like it matters. Everything, im not even joking.

Every choice doesn't only affect the game. It affect you that plays. Because you get so into it, so you feel like you're inside the game.

I have to talk about one more thing. Clem aka Clementine.

I said that Kenny has been through more than anything. I said that I fought for three people. I did everything to save everyone. I did everything to make everyone be a group.

Kenny is what, 55 years old. Clementine is 11 years old. And have already been through EVERYTHING. She almost doesn't cry a single time this episode and I can only imagine what Clem is going through. She lost an entire group, she lost her family, she lost Lee, she lost Omid and presumably Christa, she lost another entire group. When I said Kenny has been through hell and back. Well Clementine went to hell. But she never came back.

What pisses me off is that the entire fucking world of Walking Dead is fucking stupid.

Everyone forgets that Clementine is just a little girl. She's 11 for christ sake.

Yet Jane asks if she wants Rum and Bonnie if she wants a smoke. Just because she is mature and shit. That pisses me off.

AND, everyone, let Clementine do EVERYTHING. What would've Lee done? He wouldn't let anything happen to Clem. But apperently, that does everyone else.

I had to steal walkie talkies. I have to decide were groups are heading. I had to turn on the speakers. Clem has to do everything. They forget that she is a little girl. And that makes me sad, because Clementine will never be able to be a child again. When Lee was around, she still had fun and draw pictures and played football (Or soccer if you prefer) But now..

Clementine is one of the most important characters in gaming for me. I love the character, and she is, without a doubt, my favourite female character in games ever. I wish she could get some peace and be a kid for once.

In the end. Kenny, AJ and Clem saw smoke, so Kenny and Clem raced up the hill and laughed and had fun. It was heart warming and I enjoyed it so much. They were so cute and I saw them having an bond together. Then it happened. They don't have place for anymore people, only two kids but not Kenny. So I had to choose. Go with Kenny or Stay at the place.

I were going to go with Kenny than he said

''Go in there so you can be a normal child and have fun. You seen things no child should. Please take AJ and go in there Clem''

I start to sob while writing this even.. But it took a while and he begged like someone begging for his life for me to get in there with Alvin JR. So I did. I don't know what I think of that decision now. But when I saw Kenny walk away, that made me so goddamn sad. And it was one of the parts in the game, what should I had done? Gone with Kenny who is dangerous and be in the wild thats even more dangerous. Or stay in safety with alot of people with resources that won't last for long.

Many people + Small place + Zombies = Extreme Zombie Outbreak.

So I don't know, season 3 will go to hell I think...

Okay. More than choices.

I played season 1 on the Vita, and it ran pretty bad so I was worried that season 2 would run as bad. And to my surprise it ran smoothly UNTIL the end. Wich was a bummer because the entire Kenny Jane fight got destroyed. In the car and even when Kenny fixed the car. I belive it was One fps or something. Like the sound wasn't there (Only baby cry) and the text was too fast, and you couldn't see anything because it was one frame, then three seconds later, the next frame came. And that really ruined the experience.

This game also felt alot shorter than Season 1. I completed it in one day with breaks and stuff. But Season 1 felt longer too me.. I didn't play as much back then (Like 2 hours then I played Tearaway or something) so that may be why it felt shorter..

The gameplay isn't great either. But at parts you get really stressed and sometimes it feels so tense. But really, you don't have to do much..

Than about the choices, they DO all matters so don't get me wrong. But it feels a bit sad that you can only choice about three endings. Stay with Jane, Go with Kenny, Let Kenny go. I mean whatever I choice it all leads up to one thing sadly. But still not a big complaint, but a little one.

Episode 4 felt a little dragged out imo, or I don't know. It was somehing about Episode 4 I didn't like, and it felt weak. Compared to episode 1, 2, 3 and 5, episode 4 felt weak to me.. Don't get me wrong here, I liked the episode a bunch, but it was pretty weak in some way..

I also really like this Cliffhanger Season Episode thing. I always wait until everything is done until I watch something. For example Breaking Bad or now Walking Dead S1 and S2. So I can get the experience in one and I don't have to deal with Cliffhangers like Episode 4 Cliffhanger that made me stay up later than I should :P

It feels very original, and it becomes like a tv show. And I really like that.

Walking Dead Season 3. Im ready. Find Christa again, have a reunion with Kenny again..

I think Clem will die in season 3. And damn it I will cry like a baby if that happens.

I will end it at that.

I know I mostly talked about choices and such. But I talked about my experience, and thats what I wanted. So I hoped you like it. And yeah, again, pretty useless review as reviews is used to get people to want the game.

Verdict: 8/10. It falls short because of the performance issues. And it also has a weak episode 4. If you only wanted too see what verdict I gave this game, the comes a spoiler NOW: I think it was a bad way for Nick to die. I couldn't really care as much because I didn't really.. You know have the Luke or Lee moment when he died. He was just there.

Edited by MarsipanRumpan
  • Like 1

I didn't read the whole thing as I haven't even played Season 1 yet, but it looks like you put a lot of thought and detail into to this. I look forward to seeing more of your reviews in the future :)

Okay yeah, its best to keep it that way then! Thank you so much for the feedback Jello, you are the best! :D

very nicely written my friend. great review. but end the end i didn't choose kenny, i just felt he was way too far gone. but anyways bravo! :yay:  :yay: :yay:  :yay:  :yay:  :yay:  :yay:  

Oh thank you, if you only know how much that means to hear! :) 

Im getting into reviewing. I think its fun and yeah, I like it. So thank you so much for the feedback Funboy! :D

And yeah, I know that he was a little.. Yeah.. :P

• Like 1

It's a great review. Season 2 was a good game and all, but I felt they put themselves in a weird position making Clementine the main character. Because you'd get these sort of situations: "Hey I need someone to go off alone and do something that may be super dangerous, who wants to do it? The strong healthy black guy? The lady with the assault rifle? The girl that obviously knows how to take care of herself with out of the box thinking? ...Nah. Let me get the 10 year old girl." :T

• Like 1

It's a great review. Season 2 was a good game and all, but I felt they put themselves in a weird position making Clementine the main character. Because you'd get these sort of situations: "Hey I need someone to go off alone and do something that may be super dangerous, who wants to do it? The strong healthy black guy? The lady with the assault rifle? The girl that obviously knows how to take care of herself with out of the box thinking? ...Nah. Let me get the 10 year old girl." :T

Yeah I hated that hey put everything on her. I also think it's a little weird to put it on Clem. At the same time, im kind of happy to be Clem. We will see who we're in Season 3 :)

Oh and thank you very much, I appreciate it alot! :)

Edited by MarsipanRumpan

• 9 months later...

A bit off topic; could anybody explain to me why did Rebecca turn? I didn't see her getting bitten, I didn't play the first season so it's not completely clear to me...

In Walking Dead universe you don't have to get bit to turn into a zombie. Everybody who dies turns if their brains aren't destroyed.

In Walking Dead universe you don't have to get bit to turn into a zombie. Everybody who dies turns if their brains aren't destroyed.

I get it. So everybody is zombie under cover ;-) Why didn't Luke turn then? He didn't get any hit... I guess I have to take it as it is. Anyways, great game!

• Like 1

I get it. So everybody is zombie under cover ;-) Why didn't Luke turn then? He didn't get any hit... I guess I have to take it as it is. Anyways, great game!

The time from when people turn varies. They explain that in the tv series (and probably the comic). It could be a few minutes or a few hours. Luke definitely DID turn buuuut he drowned and fell to the bottom of the lake. They just didn't show it.

The time from when people turn varies. They explain that in the tv series (and probably the comic). It could be a few minutes or a few hours. Luke definitely DID turn buuuut he drowned and fell to the bottom of the lake. They just didn't show it.

Turns out I should probably catch up with the tv series in the first place. So some become zombie before they die and some after. Do you recommend the tv series to be as gripping as the game?

Turns out I should probably catch up with the tv series in the first place. So some become zombie before they die and some after. Do you recommend the tv series to be as gripping as the game?

Lol no. People die THEN become zombies. It would be pretty funny if people just randomly turned into zombies though xD

Hmm yeah. It has it's slow bits but I would recommend watching the rest. (I personally think it gets better each season)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Oh man, don't.  If Clem dies, I don't know what I'll do.  I thought she was a gonner in episode 5...  And hearing Lee's voice again.  Y'know, I really wasn't ready for that.

I totally agree with what the OP said about it all feeling like it matters.  For those hours I'm playing, it all feels real.  I left Kenny in the end.  I couldn't take his anger and I wanted him to really know that he'd fucked up this whole time, but that's just me.  I couldn't let him die, though.  I felt like we'd been through so much, and hey, if I bump into him again, I'm sure it'll be cool. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, don't.  If Clem dies, I don't know what I'll do.  I thought she was a gonner in episode 5...  And hearing Lee's voice again.  Y'know, I really wasn't ready for that.

I totally agree with what the OP said about it all feeling like it matters.  For those hours I'm playing, it all feels real.  I left Kenny in the end.  I couldn't take his anger and I wanted him to really know that he'd fucked up this whole time, but that's just me.  I couldn't let him die, though.  I felt like we'd been through so much, and hey, if I bump into him again, I'm sure it'll be cool. 

If they kill Clem at any point in the future I will stop playing. I can live with the baby dying but not Clem! You gotta have either Lee or Clem and we all know what happened to Lee. 

The fact that Kenny could die at the end might make him a shallow character in the third season as it may be two much work for them to tie all the possibilties together

Edited by SeobabyGoguma

While in my opinion the first season is good, but overrated. The 2nd season is absolute garbage! It was so uninteresting and boring. I didn't give a shit about any character and just wanted to be done with it. Doesn't help that I really hate the Walking Dead. I would like it if it was cleverly done, but NO! They have to shove pointless action parts into every episode where they tease someones leg getting bit. They over use the good old sympathy trick to make people cry when a character dies. I dont think the TV series has one character that doesn't annoy the living shit out of me...

AAANNNNDDD Since I got the two TWD games for PS4 with the TT Games bundle from a sale, I'm gonna be playing them again xD FFS.

• Like 1

While in my opinion the first season is good, but overrated. The 2nd season is absolute garbage! It was so uninteresting and boring. I didn't give a shit about any character and just wanted to be done with it. Doesn't help that I really hate the Walking Dead. I would like it if it was cleverly done, but NO! They have to shove pointless action parts into every episode where they tease someones leg getting bit. They over use the good old sympathy trick to make people cry when a character dies. I dont think the TV series has one character that doesn't annoy the living shit out of me...

AAANNNNDDD Since I got the two TWD games for PS4 with the TT Games bundle from a sale, I'm gonna be playing them again  xD FFS.

After my second playthrough of season 2 I'm quite happy with it overall. The first time I played it (Vita) I thought it was absolute garbage (ended with Jane at Home).

Knowing what happens and paying attention to details on the second run through made my choices easier.

I can't see anyone not sticking with Kenny if they know what happens. He is emotionally unstable but you know he would do whatever it takes to protect AJ, and the ending I got this time proved that (parting at Wellington). 'Home' isn't safe as it gets the horde regularly (mentioned by someone in Carver's company) and Jane has repeatedly shown how fickle and manipulative she is. If she was a male character, nobody would ever side with her. Though she might try hard to protect AJ, I can't truly believe she will, she even ditches clem as they escape from the car.

I made sure only mike was alive at the end knowing about Arno (and Bonnie) and their betrayal.This time I let nick, alvin, bonnie,, and sarah die as early as possible as they die by default anyway.

Hopefully we can skin Arno in season 3!

Edited by SeobabyGoguma

• 2 months later...

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR BOTH SEASON 1 & 2!

I just finished the game and loved it as much as the first. But, how the hell are they gonna make a season 3? On the first game the last important desicion is wether to shoot Lee or let him turn. And that doesn't change the ending much. You end up leaving with Christa and Omid anyways. And that's how the second game starts.

But on this game there are 5 very different endings. I checked the different endings on youtube to see what I missed. And in these endings you end up on 2 totally different places and with 1 of 2 different people (Plus the baby). So how are they gonna start the next season??? And in one of the endings you are in a location that is incredibly safe (Wellington), so there would no longer be a reason for a third game.

I just mention this because I keep hearing people say they can't wait for a third game or third "season". But I don't think they're gonna make one. 

Edited by SilverGriever

"Telltale has yet to say if the game will feature Clementine as a lead character."

That's the subtitle of that article. So, yeah... it isn't confirmed in my book. If Clementine is not the lead character, it's not a true sequel. It will be a new story or spin off. And how do you know this season 3 they're talking about isn't the new Michonne game that just came out? 

What my post was about was, I don't see how they will continue THIS story from there because of the very different endings. It doesn't seem possible. Unless they do a time skip thing which would suck.

Edited by SilverGriever

"Telltale has yet to say if the game will feature Clementine as a lead character."

That's the subtitle of that article. So, yeah... it isn't confirmed in my book. If Clementine is not the lead character, it's not a true sequel. It will be a new story or spin off. And how do you know this season 3 they're talking about isn't the new Michonne game that just came out? 

What my post was about was, I don't see how they will continue THIS story from there because of the very different endings. It doesn't seem possible. Unless they do a time skip thing which would suck.

Lol, it's Season 3, Telltale has confirmed it's coming, and they have confirmed Michonne is an unrelated 3-episode mini-series.  Telltale never confirms anything ahead of time, they don't even post release dates for their episodes until the week it comes out (sometimes even after the game is out).  If you're waiting on Clem confirmation before considering it as a proper Season 3, you probably will be waiting a while.

• 1 month later...

^I'm kinda hoping Clem is still a heavy character in Season 3, but 

SPOILER:
-

I don't see her being in the new season. Mainly because of the choice of Kenny or Jane. If you choose Jane it's a completely unrelated outcome and usually there isn't too big of a change. With Jane, you go to the Carver stronghold and those people come in and they're armed. But Kenny and Clem just leave into the forest again, but there's a chance Clem just leaves and lives in a protected place and Kenny leaves. There's a LOT of things in the end of Season 2 that kinda don't leave any room for a new game with Clem unless EVERYONES Ep.1 is different. You could go alone and leave Jane alive, or Kill both Kenny/Jane, or Kill Jane and leave Kenny alive, Allow the people in or make them stay out, WAY too many different outcomes that only 2 out of all of them leave any cliffhangers. 

As much as I'd love for Clem to return as a main, I really have a feeling they'll just start a new story or very possibly being a 10-15 year-older AJ as a main.