Dislike button?

Go to solution Solved by Dragon-Of-MSoft,

I disagree. Having a dislike button would spread negativity and emnity. If there's a comment you don't like, just ignore it, or if it's a comment that's rude or hurtful, use the report button.

Exactly. You might as well call a "Dislike" button "Come at me bro!". It does nothing but engender hostility.

• Like 4

I understand why some people would want a dislike button: you see something you don't like, and you dislike it. Simple as that. 

However, I agree with ShadowGandalf. It's just nicer to see people positively supporting you, and if you have a problem with something someone said or did, then tell them.

Another issue is that people can abuse dislike buttons and dislike something for a non-constructive and personal reason. For example, if someone hated the movie Frozen, and played an LBP level that was AMAZING and created by another player, but featured something referencing Frozen (as there is Frozen DLC), they may dislike the level simply for the reference, despite it otherwise being an amazing level. This would reflect poorly on the level, and if enough people did that, then you have a really good level with negative criticism for simply referencing something that some people don't personally like. I know the point of the dislike button is to say "Hey, I don't like this", but the problem here is that people get so focused on one element that they don't like, and so they negatively review the content, completely ignoring the rest of it, regardless of its quality.

Another example would be YouTube videos. Take RoosterTeeth's Let's Play videos. The people who play the games on their channel will vary from video to video, and there are a few people at the company who seem to have a very vocal audience of haters. These haters may dislike a video that one of these employees appears in, regardless of the rest of the content itself. Keep in mind that many of these videos have several people in them, but because one person was in it that the viewer didn't like, they dislike the video; more negative reception based on one element.

It'd be like if you told someone they shouldn't play a given FPS because you have a problem with one of the weapons.

"Hey, I don't like the MORS in Advanced Warfare because it's too OP, so you definitely shouldn't play the game."

"But I heard the campaign is decent, and the exo-suits look fun..."

"Nope. Screw the MORS, it ruins the game."

Frankly, there just can't be a dislike button in my opinion, because negative criticism is so poorly reflected at times by some people.

Edited by StormRacer872
  • Like 3

I disagree. Having a dislike button would spread negativity and emnity. If there's a comment you don't like, just ignore it, or if it's a comment that's rude or hurtful, use the report button.

I remember LittleBigPlanet 2 used to have a thumbs up/thumbs down feature on community levels, but they removed the thumbs down because it was disheartening for players to see their levels were disliked. The same thinking applies here. Keep things nice. Keep things positive. If someone is being an a-hole on the forums, the mods will deal with them. If a comment isn't offensive but you just disagree with it, then engage that person in polite discussion and share your views versus thiers.

Make sense?

Yeah i remember that in lbp 2. i was wondering WTF? when i didnt see it anymore lol

Exactly. You might as well call a "Dislike" button "Come at me bro!". It does nothing but engender hostility.

Now we just need a "poke" button to complete the facebook transition. Could Sly even input a "dislike"  button considering we only have "likes" due to the template he's using? 

Edited by Bear

There is already a dislike button feature implemented. It's called: "Don't hit the like button." Notice how only one person hit like for the OP but already over 15 people have hit like for ShandowGandalf. That makes it pretty clear what they like and don't like.

Edited by RedEye420
  • Like 1

I like how honest you are; just straight up "Yup, this would not end well if I had anything to do with it" xD

I'm not saying I was or wasn't involved in the IGN comment section getting its dislike feature removed, but I will say this. I don't read the comments as much as I used to xD

• Like 1

Right when I saw the topic title, I thought:  Nah, that would just piss people off and cause animosity.  I like how friendly of a community this is and would hate to see that possibly change with features such as dislike buttons.

I don't agree with or like every thing I see posted but I just ignore it and move along. It's not hard. 

To moderators:

What about adding dislike button feature without showing names so that there won't be any hate/hard feelings that the members pretend.

While there wouldn't be any hard feelings against specific users, to see that someone goes out of his way to dislike something you said still doesn't really help the mood of the forum. Some may be able to deal with it better than others.

If something pisses you off to a degree that you want to make the person know about it then quote his/her post, if he/she is just trolling just ignore it.

While there wouldn't be any hard feelings against specific users, to see that someone goes out of his way to dislike something you said still doesn't really help the mood of the forum. Some may be able to deal with it better than others.

If something pisses you off to a degree that you want to make the person know about it then quote his/her post, if he/she is just trolling just ignore it.

It's not about trolling or aggressive posts. It's a principle matter.

I think balance is good and this site lacks the balance.

Positive positive positive everywhere then what ? everyone (or the most) attitudinizes the perfection and I would givesome of those comments dislike.

P.S: It's good to see trolls from time to time. :)

Edited by Dragon-Of-MSoft