Time Trials....holy crap!

Wade_VC

For those who have played this game, you know exactly what that phrase pertains to. For those who have not yet played it, let me tell ya', the time trials (timed levels) are something else! I spent a good 2 hours solid just to complete 1 of them, and most levels have them once you unlock the Timed mode by collecting enough Lum's (the games equivalent to coins in Mario Brothers).

These timed levels require absolute knowledge of the level, and keeps you thinking about your next move in a "one step ahead" fashion. You have to be almost perfect, which allows just one minor (and I mean minor) misstep on the entire level to meet the timed challenge.

Looking for a challenge? Rayman Origins has plenty of them waiting for ya', especially the timed challenges!

• Like 2

First of all i'll just say how much i love this game so far, i love the art style and colour, it makes the game so beautiful and i'm so glad there's so many levels to enjoy it! It's a shame a game like this will be passed up for say another COD ¬_¬

Anyways having said that, these time trials are mentaaal. I read this thread before i attempted any and thought uh oh, but then i completed all trials for the first world quite easily and thought hmm maybe it won't be so bad. So i move on to the second land, the desert one..... and can't finish any. I tried a few several times before realising, nope, nope i'm just rubbish and it's not going to happen ever haha. I tried a random level in the Sea world and was about 15 seconds over the limit and the end wasn't even in sight, and that was me speeding through the level smoothly with no mishaps, i think this is one trophy i won't be getting anytime soon, at the moment i am a rayman speedy trial failure.

But there must be a trick to it....

.... I will find this :ninja:

• Like 2

Finished the Livid Dead level and I think I'm good. Might try and finish off finding the hidden cages and completing 25 medallions but the time trials AIN'T happening. My hats off to anyone who pushes through and gets them all.

Quite an amazing game... minus the damn time trials.

LMFAO!

Reading the replies, at least I am not alone.

Here is what is sad though, not only is this a fun game, but it will be overlooked by a lot of self-proclaimed "LEET" gamers or pure trophy whores becasue they consider this a "kids" game. The truth of the matter is many of these types will ignore it not becasue it is a platformer, but it is a challenge from a "kids" game they would be too embarrassed to see kick their asses.

As for me, I am still enjoying the hell out of it...and even though I still have a lot to play, the difficult time trials don't piss me off...frustrating yes, but not really piss me off. I think the game was just so well developed that even with these tough-as-hell time trials, they managed to maintain a "fun factor" as well.

• Like 2

Turns out the time trials aren't as bad as I anticipated (so far at least).

Yeah, I have all but 1 for the first 2 worlds, and not too bad actually. I mean, they can be tough, but it is just pure timing and (for me anyway) about a dozen times each level to learn the level well enough to anticipate each jump or move before I get to it.

I find the stupid Skull Teeth challenges to be more of a pain.

Yeah, I have all but 1 for the first 2 worlds, and not too bad actually. I mean, they can be tough, but it is just pure timing and (for me anyway) about a dozen times each level to learn the level well enough to anticipate each jump or move before I get to it.

I find the stupid Skull Teeth challenges to be more of a pain.

"Piping Hot" is the level that has me beating my head against the wall. It's the freaking anti-speed level. There are little things, like enemy placement/patterns, that have a tiny variance each time you run through and it makes a world of difference. You also can't speed through the final segment or you'll die every time... you have to stop and wait for some flame plumes to pass. Once I finish that level I'll only have three worlds left, Mystical Pique, Luscious Lakes, and Moody Clouds. Those are the ones I'm dreading, lol.

• Like 3

Time trials are done. Piping Hot, Dragon Soup, Fickle Fruit, Mecha no mistakes, and Swimming with the stars were the toughest for me. The first four I mentioned all give you more than enough time, it's just not dying that makes them hard. Swimming with the stars, on the other hand, is STRICT. If you run it perfectly you'll most likely finish it right on the limit or possibly one second over.

I definitlly recommend everyone who loves this game to at least make an effort to finish the time trials as they're quite fun for he most part. Trust me, if my dumb-ass can do them... ANYONE CAN!!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

To be honest, the time trails wasn't hard, and the reason for this is the levels were made for time trial and they are short. 1-5mins, usually around 2 mins, rarely above 3. Really short. Okay, you have to do it all correctly, but if you are any good at platforming games, this isn't hard at all. The easiest levels was harder to beat the time trial for than the long and harder ones. The long and harder ones you got so much extra time on. Finished a couple with 30 seconds to go... This game was easier in all aspects than the first Rayman game, which I also thought was a lot better. This one was too tight levels, too few secrets, a bit too easy, short levels, the chests made sounds for you to find them when they most of the time was poorly hidden.

One thing I actually liked with this game was the time trials. I think that's where I had the most fun with this game. :) I used to speedrun the harder levels in the first Rayman game to earn extra lives, but those were so not made for speedrun. Enjoyed that part very much.

One thing I hated was getting enough points in each level. It was just to only continue from checkpoint to checkpoint in the already very small levels until you got enough points in each section. Easy, time consuming and boring.

I wish you could speedrun the first time you played through the levels. The chest chases were also pretty cool, and the extra level was nice too. :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just got the Nitro trophy and the Platinum. Just a piece of advice for anybody going for Nitro, start with the most difficult levels and work backwards. It makes you a lot better at the game and chances are you'll breeze through the lower levels. Personally, I think Dragon Soup was the hardest time trial to complete and the ninth skull tooth was probably the hardest level for me to complete. Either that or the chase sequence in The Reveal when you have to run along the falling pipes and saw blades after that little wizard bastard.

• Like 1

Just got the Nitro trophy and the Platinum. Just a piece of advice for anybody going for Nitro, start with the most difficult levels and work backwards. It makes you a lot better at the game and chances are you'll breeze through the lower levels. Personally, I think Dragon Soup was the hardest time trial to complete and the ninth skull tooth was probably the hardest level for me to complete. Either that or the chase sequence in The Reveal when you have to run along the falling pipes and saw blades after that little wizard bastard.

^^^^^This. Go through the whole game, get an idea of the levels then go back to the harder levels and start there. For my wife and I, Mecha No Mistake was the hardest. Quite a few rage quits but worth it. We've platted it on my account, hers and our joined account. It's all about pacience.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

HAHAHAAA OMG I'm so glad I'm not alone. I tried to do a couple the other day and NOPE! I was hoping they would be a bit more relaxed but they are sooo difficult.... 
I'll try doing what some of you are suggesting when I finish, doing the timed trials backwards. I haven't unlocked them all yet so I'll get on that soon. :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

These are much easier than anticipated. Dont't be scared of these like I was! I thought there could be no missteps done for each level at all. But some of them i've been 20+secs faster than the throphytime. Still missing last 2 worlds tho, but many of the timetrials was done first try no sweat so rest should be doable :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

^ Absolutely what ArcyGabriel said. I'd been reading this thread and the posts in it and thought I would have a really really tough time with the time trials... but to my pleasant surprise, they actually weren't that bad. They are indeed tricky, but the only ones I think I spent any more than 15-20 minutes trying to complete were Fickle Fruit and On Top of Old Smokey. I would strongly suggest to anybody playing this game not to do any time trials on their first time playing it... get yourself through story mode first where you're not under pressure for time, the controls should gradually start to become automatic to you, by then you should be able to breeze through most of the time trials in less than 15 minutes. 

• 4 months later...

HAHAHAAA OMG I'm so glad I'm not alone. I tried to do a couple the other day and NOPE! I was hoping they would be a bit more relaxed but they are sooo difficult.... 

I'll try doing what some of you are suggesting when I finish, doing the timed trials backwards. I haven't unlocked them all yet so I'll get on that soon. :P

Which did you try? Because the early ones require far more perfection than the later ones. There are also tricks to speed you up faster than simply running does.