Would you recommend this?

kittygirl2010

Back when Dying Light was announced, I was pretty excited to see a new zombie game coming out.

However, when they said that there would be parkour elements and nighttime, I started to not want it.

I want to know, for those who have the game, what do you think of it? Would a beginner to parkour gaming, like myself, enjoy this?

I'm just teetering on a fence, one side is telling me to get it while the other is not. Should I pay for it now or later? Your feedback is much appreciated!

It's Dead Island with parkour. If you liked Dead Island, you'll probably like this. If you haven't played Dead Island, I'd recommend starting with that (simply because it's cheaper). If you've played Mirror's Edge the parkour here is similar, but much slower.

In the aspect of both games having zombies or is a buggy mess? 

• Like 3

Jim Sterling didn't like it. See my edit notes below.

Dying Light has all the tools to be something special, but it’s so insistent on playing it safe and mimicking other successful games that it fails completely to stand out in its own way. Even the inclusion of parkour isn’t particularly special these days, since so many games are throwing it in. We have a game that shamelessly cribs its elements from Far CryAssassin’s Creed, and The Elder Scrolls while significantly toning down anything original, almost deliberately, to conform to homogeneous “AAA videogame” standards. Far be it from me to speculate, but I can’t help thinking Techland had something with more spontaneity in mind, something more radical and consistently closer to what I played over two years back, before Warner Bros. stepped in and told them to OBEY the mass market trends. Whatever the motivation, the result is a game that has all these wonderful ideas crammed into the pedestrian shape of Big Budget Game Release #587,000.

Parkour. Open world. Zombies. Online co-op. Crafting. Radio towers. Zombies. Collect-a-thons. Zombies. Zombies. Dying Light desperately tries to be all of the videogames in a bid to impress everybody. If only it had tried as hard to be its own thing, we’d have had an amazing horror game on our hands. Instead, we just have another indistinct jack-of-all-trades to throw on top of the ever growing pile.

Full review here.

I'd give the full review a read if you're on the fence. He's paid by Patreon support, so I tend to trust him over sites that make their money by advertising games.

Edit: I say "didn't like it", but that's not really fair. Go read his review to see what I mean.

Edited by StrickenBiged

It's a lot shorter than Dead Island too isn't it? I've seen several people say they've finished it in about 13 hours.

I don't see how people are finishing it that fast unless they completely ignore everything except the story missions. I've played it for a good 15 hours and am only half done the story at this point (or have 51% Story, if that's what that means). There's a ton of stuff to do in this. 

I don't see how people are finishing it that fast unless they completely ignore everything except the story missions. I've played it for a good 15 hours and am only half done the story at this point (or have 51% Story, if that's what that means). There's a ton of stuff to do in this. 

Yeah, that's what I was thinking they were probably doing too but wasn't sure as I haven't really paid attention to the game too much to know just how much like Dead Island, content wise, it is. Thanks for the info on that though, it gives me a better understanding of it.

Pretty much what you said. Now all we need is a review saying the game sucks but still has a better story than Destiny, lol. :)

• Like 1

I've enjoyed Dying Light MUCH MORE than Dead Island thus far.

The story though is very lackluster (although I could really careless when it comes to Zombie games because most of the stories are similar)

but overall the experience has been fun. I recommend it for those who have friends who love to COOP (Tell your fran to get it/ or buy it for them as a gift ;)!)

I will say though the first day was rather a mess.

I crashed 6 times in over a 8 hour playtime. (was rather bad... screenshotting seemed to make this game do this more than it just randomly crashing so maybe its a SS bug..)

Graphics are insanely good too. For those who love pretty art (like myself) ;)!

Otherwise if you can't stand zombie games (most are the same I will admit), than avoid this. Simple as that.

Nighttime does make this game somewhat different however....

I crashed 6 times in over a 8 hour playtime. (was rather bad... screenshotting seemed to make this game do this more than it just randomly crashing so maybe its a SS bug..)

On the flip side, I've crashed once in 20+ hours of gameplay, and have taken multiple screenshots whenever I find a note collectible. :P 

Took me 12 hours to beat. 2 hours of that was fooling around or in coop

Buy it now hun,

never played much parkour  style games only played gta v first time in December still find it hard, only played FPS

but played solo all day yesterday and picked it up very easily

just be aware of what setting your on as people can join your campaign it does throw you off a bit. So find it easier to learn the basics on your own.

I've finished the story at about 13 hours, I haven't done most of the side quests coz I'm waiting for 3 persons to do 5 quests in one sitting.

It's actually not as long as the devs were suggesting with that 50 hours. My save is currently at 32h game time and I've finished absolutely everything I can find other than collectibles. Still can't figure out what I'm missing on the Side Quests trophy, and my save is at 100% completion. :/