In light of Vita's NEAR going away...

Andreh-Feijoh

I've tried doing the Skyhook thing to change my location, but it just doesn't work!

The site says it is done, and i should wait up to a week, but lots of users said it was almost instantly, but my Vita always finds my actual city.

Anyone had this problem too?

I'm currently at 46 stars, and i'm afraid that, even if i could get 9 stars every week, still i won't be able to get 100 stars in time, and i really don't want an unobtaineable platinum in my list.

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried turning the Vita completely off while you change location using Skyhook?

Other sites recommend you completely shut down the Vita, then change location, then turn Vita on, check Near to see if your location changed and, if it did, then launch Smart As and do the challenge. If Near does not record a change in location, turn Vita off again and wait a bit before trying again.

I managed to do it once last night, and completed a challenge for London. Had trouble since, and it keeps finding my exact location -.- Going to keep trying it today. Only at 29 stars right now /:

EDIT: Having trouble getting it to find another location. When it does work, I don't get any challenges. Starting to get annoyed. -.-

Edited by Beeinhollywood
  • Like 1

I managed to do it once last night, and completed a challenge for London. Had trouble since, and it keeps finding my exact location -.- Going to keep trying it today. Only at 29 stars right now /:

EDIT: Having trouble getting it to find another location. When it does work, I don't get any challenges. Starting to get annoyed. -.-

Can you tell me step by step what you are doing, I have been PM'ed quite a lot about this and I want to see if it's the same cause / thing they are doing wrong each time, thx if its possible

Can you tell me step by step what you are doing, I have been PM'ed quite a lot about this and I want to see if it's the same cause / thing they are doing wrong each time, thx if its possible

I find and pick a different town or even a large city on skyhook via my laptop. (Have also tried on my vita browser).

I turn my vita off, and press submit. I leave it for about 5-10 mins to give it a chance, then i turn my Vita on and sync with Near. Usually it tells me the town I live in. I have only managed to get it to change location for me twice today. If it changes, I start Smart As up and go straight to Street Smart. Thing is, it doesn't update my location there if my location in Near has changed.

If Near doesn't change my location, I restart my vita and try again. If i do that a few times, i give up and try a different location

• Like 1

I find and pick a different town or even a large city on skyhook via my laptop. (Have also tried on my vita browser).

I turn my vita off, and press submit. I leave it for about 5-10 mins to give it a chance, then i turn my Vita on and sync with Near. Usually it tells me the town I live in. I have only managed to get it to change location for me twice today. If it changes, I start Smart As up and go straight to Street Smart. Thing is, it doesn't update my location there if my location in Near has changed.

If Near doesn't change my location, I restart my vita and try again. If i do that a few times, i give up and try a different location

I don't know how to explain this clearly but I think it's most likely related the MAC address which you entered, for example, for me my laptop and vita are using the same wifi, and the BSSID i obtained from command prompt is for the connection both are using. I heard people having trouble with multiple signals which may interfere with this or something similar. 

Not really sure what I should do /: I've even tried on different connections, and I'm still having trouble.

EDIT: I don't want to jinx it, but I'm getting challenges all of a sudden. Didn't even need to change location again for one of them, I just refreshed Smart As...

Edited by Beeinhollywood

make sure that youre giving the proper address. 

theres a difference between the mac address and the ip address.

shut your vita completely off before you change your routers location, choose big cities in the US (ie New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc.)

you can even contact them if youre still having any issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how to find the right MAC address for a router? On the Skyhook site it says that it isn't the one listed on the back of the router. When I try to use inSSIDer to find my address like the site recommends, the address on the router is the one that shows up. Tried using this address to change the location on Skyhook just in case but no luck as I figured, Near keeps syncing the local address. If anyone was able to successfully figure it out and cares to share, I'd appreciate it

Unfortunately it looks like this will be unobtainable for me. Believe I found the correct MAC address using Windows' Run command but after using it for Skyhook, Near is still giving me my local address instead of the one I set it to :(

EDIT: I think I located the problem, if you have too many other WiFi sources around, the Vita uses those as well somehow. If you can isolate your router and change using skyhook it will work. You could probably also edit the other sources around with Skyhook, but for obvious reasons I wouldn't recommend it.

Edited by Farnzington

Can anyone confirm is this works with a 3G vita model that doesn't have 3G? When I tried using skyhook I couldn't get it to find the new location at all. 

I heard people saying "it doesn't work with 3G vitas" but it just means if you are using 3G, which is pretty obvious. It does work if you use wifi. 

In that case I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. :(

I think it would be something to do with what Farnzington is saying, as I heard this is one of the major things which can prevent it from working:

EDIT: I think I located the problem, if you have too many other WiFi sources around, the Vita uses those as well somehow. If you can isolate your router and change using skyhook it will work. You could probably also edit the other sources around with Skyhook, but for obvious reasons I wouldn't recommend it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I thought this guide might help people with Smart As. I have just used this exact method to get 100% in Travel Bug (ie, change my location to Australia) and have used the same method to get the 100 Street Smart stars within a week.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/travel-bug/247685-supplementary-skyhook-guide-set-location-australia.html

Read through the guide, the trick is that Skyhook now checks your IP Address as well, meaning that if you want to use a location in another country, you need to use a proxy server so Skyhook thinks you are in that country.

To find enough Street Smart locations, I googled for a site which gave me latitude and longitude locations for all the Australian captials (Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, Canberra, Hobart, Adelaide, Darwin, Brisbane) and then stopped using the australian proxy server and used  different UK loactions (London, Manchester, Chester, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Sheffield, Cardiff, Leeds, Liverpool, etc)

This was enough locations to get me the 100 stars.

Hope this helps some people :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...