Do you like the Shenmue games ?

nagisa-chan1987

You are not! I have only played the first on Dreamcast and LOVED it. I never got to play the second, still want to. :/ I love the adventure, fighting, and atmosphere of it all. Would definitely loveva third or HD release.

I believe Parker likes the game as well.

Ahhh, I loved the Shenmue games!  Some of my most memorable gaming moments was because of those games.  While I have to agree with Lilith that I'm ashamed to have gotten Shenmue II on the Xbox back in the day, I remember eyeballing the PAL Dreamcast import pretty hard behind the locked case in EB Games/Babbages/Gamestop/whatever that store was called at that point, because they did have it... and I did want it.  Never happened though.

That being said, I was thinking about an HD re-release and Shenmue III the other day, and as much as I loved the games, I feel like they probably wouldn't have aged well.  The things that made them so groundbreaking (ie. day/night cycles, real open world exploration, the meticulous attention to detail in recreating life in small town Japan, QTE's, etc) have been expanded so greatly over the years... that it's quirkiness alone probably wouldn't be enough.  Old fans that still care would obviously have a field day with nostalgia, but I can't imagine it would actually bring anyone new on board and may actually hurt their chances in hyping up future releases as the foul-mouthed kids of this new generation slam Metacritic with 1/10 reviews because Ryo doesn't run fast enough or some shit.

I would also be interested in seeing what Shenmue III would look like (beyond the obvious reasons)... I have to think it'd wind up looking and playing a lot like Yakuza at the end of the day.  It might not even feel like a Shenmue game though if they polished out the rough edges (graphics, voice acting, movement controls, etc)

Edited by Dreakon13

That being said, I was thinking about an HD re-release and Shenmue III the other day, and as much as I loved the games, I feel like they probably wouldn't have aged well.  The things that made them so groundbreaking (ie. day/night cycles, real open world exploration, the meticulous attention to detail in recreating life in small town Japan, QTE's, etc) have been expanded so greatly over the years... that it's quirkiness alone probably wouldn't be enough.  Old fans that still care would obviously have a field day with nostalgia, but I can't imagine it would actually bring anyone new on board and may actually hurt their chances in hyping up future releases as the foul-mouthed kids of this new generation slam Metacritic with 1/10 reviews because Ryo doesn't run fast enough or some shit.

I would also be interested in seeing what Shenmue III would look like (beyond the obvious reasons)... I have to think it'd wind up looking a lot like Yakuza at the end of the day.  It might not even feel like a Shenmue game though if they polished out the rough edges (graphics, voice acting, movement controls, etc)

That's true, with the way Open-World games have sort of progressed over the years I could see 3 being sort of an oddball to modern day players what with the pacing and all. Knowing Yu Suzuki too, he'd probably keep that same atmosphere the previous games had going on which is great, but would definitely put the game in niche territory instead of grabbing a larger audience. Granted I can see him adding a lot of new features too, and definitely making some things faster paced, but even still.

At most I'd still at least dig an HD re-release or something, would probably make okay sales.

I rememberm when i had my first console: a Dreamcast  :wub:

Someone offered me a Shenmue game with 4 discs... or was it just two... can't remember... i had a blast... but never got to the end... the game had a glitch and some stuff that were suppose to happen never happened... :( 

Anyways... a remake for PS4 would be a killer move i think

I rememberm when i had my first console: a Dreamcast :wub:

Someone offered me a Shenmue game with 4 discs... or was it just two... can't remember... i had a blast... but never got to the end... the game had a glitch and some stuff that were suppose to happen never happened... :(

Anyways... a remake for PS4 would be a killer move i think

Yup, four discs, I still remember the day I rented it and returned it months late. :P

I would love to play the Shenmue games. They seem like something I would very much enjoy but I don't totally understand the options for trying to play them yet as I understand they are kind of rare.

I have two Dreamcast consoles and I'm assuming they are both North American versions. Would any kind soul around care to explain how I might go about possibly playing some Shenmue? It looks like tons of fun; I'e seen a few videos of it. 

Edited by RedEye420

Yes, I'm a fan of this series and will play both at least once a year. My Japanese version of Shenmue 1 has an envelope with what looks like cartoon cells inside. I've never been able to work out what these are, Just mentioning this in case someone does. Anyway Nagis-chan1987, Big fan but I've given up on a 3,,,,,,,,,,,

• Like 1

Yes, I'm a fan of this series and will play both at least once a year. My Japanese version of Shenmue 1 has an envelope with what looks like cartoon cells inside. I've never been able to work out what these are, Just mentioning this in case someone does. Anyway Nagis-chan1987, Big fan but I've given up on a 3,,,,,,,,,,,

I'm still hoping they make a third game :S

I would love to play the Shenmue games. They seem like something I would very much enjoy but I don't totally understand the options for trying to play them yet as I understand they are kind of rare.

I have two Dreamcast consoles and I'm assuming they are both North American versions. Would any kind sole around care to explain how I might go about possibly playing some Shenmue? It looks like tons of fun; I'e seen a few videos of it.

You should be able to find a copy online. I don't know about the second, but the first Shenmue isn't Japanese only on Dreamcast.

• 3 weeks later...