Help me Find New Games to Play

A_SockMonkey

I am at sort of a halt with video gaming, I can't seem to get stuck into a game like I've used to.

Does anyone have any solid recommendations for me?

I am an absolute fan of survival horrors, JRPS, fighters, hack n' slashes, and sometimes shooters.

I'm trying to find something in that ball park of those genres while having an very dark plot to them (EX. Persona <3 , Danganronpa <3 , etc.)

I have pretty much all video game consoles (Perks of working at a video game resale store that does old school and current gen), so specific system is no issue at all.

Feel free to post any recommendations and I'll check them out!

Thank you!

Can i recommend Ni no Kuni Wrath of the White Witch? It's one of the best JRPG's i've ever played! 

The animations are awesome, story was pretty intresting, and the combat was never repetitive to my surprise.

It has a pretty decent score on Metacritic too! An 8.5

Oh and I totally didn't copy and paste this off of another post i've made! 
Edited by Woop982
  • Like 1

I recommend Nier, the gameplay varies it's a hack and slash action role-playing game, with some top down dungeon moments and bullet hell shooter moments. It was highly praised for its soundtrack and rightly so as its amazing, you should take a listen on Youtube when you get the chance. The story can get fairly dark/depressing at times and the game has connections to Drakengard 1 (it starts off after ending e) but you don't need to have played Drakengard beforehand to enjoy Nier.

• Like 1

Survival Horror: Resident Evil series? I've heard good things about Silent Hill too, although I've never tried it.

JRPG: This is my specialty, some of my favorite series are Disgaea (PS2/PS3), Ar Tonelico (PS2/PS3), & Mana Khemia (PS2), I could probably list like 10 more but I'll stop there... Oh, & South Park: The Stick of Truth was amazing! I guess you could call that a JRPG? OK, I'll stop -there-. :P

Fighter: About the only fighting games I enjoyed was the Naruto games. I used to play the DBZ games too, but I dropped that.

Hack n' Slash: I'm not too big into these, but if you're an anime fan, you could try Bleach: Soul Resurrection (PS3).

Shooter: Bulletstorm (PS3) was pretty fun, some of the kill scenes on it are awesome.

• Like 1

If you like Dangan Ronpa, then go on to play the second game, I found it even better than the first. As for hack n' slash games, I recommend Drakengard 3; which is pretty brutal and dirty at times, but really amazing overall, and also Bayonetta, which is also just as amazing, and my favorite hack n' slash I own. Also, Persona 3 might be right down your alley if you haven't yet played it. And maybe try out one of the Tales series games if you like JRPGs, there's a lot to pick from, but my personal recommendation is Tales of Xillia.

• Like 1

I think we should get paid for our inputs. We would be rich considering a lot of people make these thread.

I am at sort of a halt with video gaming, I can't seem to get stuck into a game like I've used to.

I am an absolute fan of survival horrors, JRPS, fighters, hack n' slashes, and sometimes shooters.

I'm trying to find something in that ball park of those genres while having an very dark plot to them (EX. Persona <3 , Danganronpa <3 , etc.)

I have pretty much all video game consoles (Perks of working at a video game resale store that does old school and current gen), so specific system is no issue at all.

Thank you!

I would say complete Infamous SS first as I heard it's a easy, but fun plat. You said you like fighter so I recommend Injustice PS4. If you also get the chance, try out Final Horizon and BioShock. If you going to buy a game, I recommend Last Rebellion, it's an easy but decent JRPG.  

• Like 1

Seeing as you've already played Metal Gear Rising, the only other hack and slash I recommend is Devil May Cry. You can get the HD collection on the PS Store for about $30 I believe. Really fun and challenging games.

• Like 1

I'd recommend Dragon's Dogma. In my opinion, the best RPG of this last gen. A very fast paced, action RPG. Has a pretty dark story, that you wouldn't expect when you first play it.

Also, maybe the Souls games (Demon's Souls, Dark Souls). They are slower in combat than most RPGs of their style, but definitely worth a play. Plus, they all have a very dark atmosphere.

• Like 1

Thank you!

Here are my recommendations

• JRPG: Dragon's Dogma, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls (all of them have a very dark plot), Okami HD
  • Fighters: Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 & 3
  • Hack 'n Slash: Bayonetta 
  • Shooters: Mass Effect 1-3 

Can i recommend Ni no Kuni Wrath of the White Witch? It's one of the best JRPG's i've ever played! 

The animations are awesome, story was pretty intresting, and the combat was never repetitive to my surprise.

It has a pretty decent score on Metacritic too! An 8.5

Oh and I totally didn't copy and paste this off of another post i've made! 

Wait, what :huh:??? You must be talking about a different game, because the Ni No Kuni I played was extremely boring, repetitive, and childish (and this is coming from someone whose favorite game genre is RPG). See the quote below.

A lot of people recommended this game to me, because I enjoy RPGs. They said the stoy is great with amazing graphics and funny moments. Well, imo it's not. The first few hours feel like a tutorial. Drippy is extremely annoying and just won't shut up. The story is mediocre, characters aren't memorable, side quests are recycled over and over again and getting 120 recipes + 250 familiars is a big pain. It took me 28 hours of grinding to get 5 Kaleidostones and 5 Scrolls of truth for the final errand and I never seemed to get the familiar I needed for Derwin's quests. Fixing brokehearted people was fun at first, but quickly becomes boring. But people were right about one thing: the game does look beautiful.