Retail version

harrypotter1997

Episodic games are a disturbing trend. Even though paying up-front allows developers to work with the resources they need, it has several downsides to it:

- A first episode that is generally well received does not guarantee a high quality product from start to finish eg. TWD season 2. Buying a season pass is a bit of a gamble.

- The money received from season passes is already in the pocket, takes off the pressure for developers to perform or meeting their deadlines

- Waiting time between releases. I had no idea what was going on in the Wolf Among Us or TWD2  story after not having played it for months in between episodes.

Personally I hope there won't be a retail release because of disappointing sales so we can get rid of these cheap marketing tactics.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Episodic games are a disturbing trend. Even though paying up-front allows developers to work with the resources they need, it has several downsides to it:

- A first episode that is generally well received does not guarantee a high quality product from start to finish eg. TWD season 2. Buying a season pass is a bit of a gamble. (1)

- The money received from season passes is already in the pocket, takes off the pressure for developers to perform or meeting their deadlines (2)

- Waiting time between releases. I had no idea what was going on in the Wolf Among Us or TWD2  story after not having played it for months in between episodes. (3)

Personally I hope there won't be a retail release because of disappointing sales so we can get rid of these cheap marketing tactics. (4)

Hmmm.

1. While this is certainly true, it's a matter of opinion whether, e.g., TWD2 wasn't a "high-quality product from start to finish". I personally loved every minute of TWD2; it is my favorite of ALL of the episodic releases I've played thus far (although Tales from the Borderlands might give it a run for its money).
  2. This has been an issue of late for sure.
  3. Brush up on the story, then? I mean, it's one thing to complain that the episodes aren't meeting given deadlines, but it's quite another to complain about the very nature of episodic releases. Plenty of comic writers spend a long time between issues (Neil Gaiman and Frank Miller are great examples). All you have to do is just look back at what you did.
  4. "cheap" or not, it's obviously working. People can't seem to get enough of these things. And I personally love these people - as they buy episodes upon release, the rest of us can sit back, and wait for deep discounts. So please, people, continue buying episodes immediately upon release, so I can get the season passes for $3.75 (or less) down the road!
  • Like 1