Any good?

Part of me wants to get it because I enjoy these niche jrpgs but part of me wants NIS to fuck off with their censoring of games, so I'll probably hold out for a sale or price drop. 

Keep in mind it's not primarily NISA's fault. They were pretty much 'forced' (albeit I'm using that loosely) to censor it. The extent to which it's their fault is the extent to which they chose not to fight it; I doubt they wanted to go out of their way to tone down certain scenes.

It has always seemed kind of weird to me how some people act when games like this are censored during localization. Even thought the things that had to censor were very small (they added some more fog and removed the sounds the girls make during the Motivation minigame.) people always act like the game is ruined.  If they hadn't done those small things the game would have gotten an AO rating which is near unsaleable in the US. Sure it sucks the game had to be censored, but when people act like this it stops the few game companies who would even try to release games like this outside of japan from doing so.

As for if the game is good or not, from what I've seen of the gameplay it looks like a really generic dungeon crawling JRPG, but I hear the story's pretty good.

So if a dungeon crawling JRPG with a good story is what you're looking for maybe you should get this.

Edited by soultaker655

Didn't NIS America also tone down some of the previous games that they localized, such as Mugen Souls, as well as (I think they are the ones who localized this game, not 100% sure) Record of Agarest War from a few years back?

Edited by GarciaFever

Didn't NIS America also tone down some of the previous games that they localized, such as Mugen Souls, as well as (I think they are the ones who localized this game, not 100% sure) Record of Agarest War from a few years back?

Yeah, I know they toned down Mugen Souls from what I've read. I think Aksys is the company that's done the localizations for the Record of Agarest War games.

NISA has been doing this sort of thing for a while but it was mostly limited to nitpicky stuff like editing box art, changing the ages of characters, etc.  It wasn't until relatively recently with the whole Mugen Souls thing that people started getting up in arms about it since it was an actual gameplay element (albeit a minor and arguably unnecessary one) being removed.  I've heard in passing that some of the localization team take issue with some of the material they work on, which would explain a bit, but it still doesn't change the fact it was unnecessarily censored.  The RoAW games were done by Aksys, and as far as I know were not censored in the US, although RoAW 2 did have at least one CG removed in Euro and possibly AU regions.  It's funny you should mention Agarest because RoAW 2 contains a mini-game that is literally exactly the same as the one that was removed in Mugen Souls and not only did the world not end in cataclysmic fashion, the game only got a T rating.  This, along with games like Senran Kagura being localized virtually untouched, are why I don't buy the argument that they're doing this to avoid an AO rating or legal issues.

I think the better thing NIS should've done was to submit it uncensored to the ESRB. If it got an AO rating, They could've pulled it back, censor it and then re submit it to get away with the M rating.

Submitting a game to ESRB for review is actually pretty expensive and most smaller studios, especially ones that specialize in niche stuff, simply cannot afford to submit a game twice.  In a situation like that I can understand wanting to err on the side of caution at least from a financial standpoint.

Thank you for the clarification on Record of Agarest War Dalez1658. I will never the importance of censoring games due to nudity and sexual content, but as a gamer, I cannot wait to play Criminal Girls Invite Only on the Vita tomorrow.

Edited by GarciaFever

On 2/2/2015 at 8:37 PM, Boooda said:

Yeah I believe they did Mugen Souls, they also censored some stuff in Monster Monpiece, but I can't think of many other games off the top of my head. 

Slight correction, they didn't localize Monster Monpiece.  That was Idea Factory International.

Edited by lazyfan
  • Like 1

That's not necessarily true. Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus might have more sexual content in it and Xseed brought that over uncensored and got away with an M rating. I think the better thing NIS should've done was to submit it uncensored to the ESRB. If it got an AO rating, They could've pulled it back, censor it and then re submit it to get away with the M rating.

XSeed is based.

They are the only ones that have balls to do it. We cannot compare XSeed and NISA.

Yeah I believe they did Mugen Souls, they also censored some stuff in Monster Monpiece, but I can't think of many other games off the top of my head. 

NISA pretty much censored everything they did, it doesn't limit to Mugen Souls. That one is just most known.

It's not too bad. Not stellar so far. Story seems to have potential, but the gameplay is pretty generic and the Motivation minigame is... I really dunno. If you're really into lolis I suppose it'd be a key element? Otherwise it just seems kind of ridiculous. And yeah, the fog clears up the more you run it, but you have to to unlock abilities, soooooo. 

I'm pretty sure the censorship in this case has mostly to do with the age of the girls. Japan and the US have far different laws about that stuff, so I get it. I really don't care for censorship at all, but I kinda understand where they were coming from on this. 

• Like 1

@zanth not all of the girls are lolis.

Anyways. The story is pretty good, and I enjoy the battle system because it requires more skill since, unlike most rpgs, you learn skills via the "motivate" system (also known as disciplining the girls). You do not learn the skills automatically when you level up, but instead requires CM (which I forgot what it stands for).

During battles, you can swap your characters with another person that isn't in the party (one character per turn) as well as use up only one item per turn (for example, you can choose to use 1 healing item) all while still being able to make an attack. Which brings me to the most important part of the battle system.

Like in most rpgs there is always a list of commands that you can choose, such as magic attack, physical attack, etc. However, the way that this system is set up will require a bit more planning. Reason being is because when your turn appears, there are 4 choices to choose from, but the actions that you can choose from are always randomized. Here is a brief example:

Girl A has learned a magic spell called Fire.
Girl B has learned a healing spell called Cure.

Girl C can attack normally

Girl D can attack normally.

If you want a character to perform a certain skill in a battle, you cannot have that girl perform said skill, but instead you have to wait until the skill shows up on the list so that you can actually pick the skill. The same goes for healing, debuffing, buffing, and casting magic.

Note that you can only perform 1 action per turn. Now you might be wondering "Well isn't there a way for the girls to combine attacks, or at least have multiple girls attack in one turn?"

The answer is yes. As I mentioned above, in order to learn more skills, you must "motivate them" (the game will give you explanations on how you would go about this). In order to get the choice to motivate them, you will need to acquire CM from defeating monsters.Some of these skills will allow you to have 2-4 girls attack in one turn, or combine their attacks together to make an even more powerful attack.

I think have covered most of the battle system. If anyone would like to add to this, feel free to do so :).

• Like 2

It's not too bad. Not stellar so far. Story seems to have potential, but the gameplay is pretty generic and the Motivation minigame is... I really dunno. If you're really into lolis I suppose it'd be a key element? Otherwise it just seems kind of ridiculous. And yeah, the fog clears up the more you run it, but you have to to unlock abilities, soooooo. 

I'm pretty sure the censorship in this case has mostly to do with the age of the girls. Japan and the US have far different laws about that stuff, so I get it. I really don't care for censorship at all, but I kinda understand where they were coming from on this.

It should also be noted that the idea of removing ages doesn't work here. It worked in Senran Kagura because they look like adults. Here, they look like children no matter what you do.

Also, ignore anyone who says NISA censors everything. They don't, and that person is trolling.

This, along with games like Senran Kagura being localized virtually untouched, are why I don't buy the argument that they're doing this to avoid an AO rating or legal issues.

But your comparisons don't fully work. Xseed did censor sk, they removed their ages. That doesn't work here, and has the opposite problem. The girls are thousands of years in old, but look like little girls. For a lot of people, it looks weird to have a minigame where you taze little girls.

No fan of censorship, but just things to consider.

. It worked in Senran Kagura because they look like adults. 

Hibari and Mirai say hi.

Xseed did censor sk, they removed their ages. 

I don't know how you mean this... Does Japanese version have explicitly stated ages for all shinobi?

Still... I don't know how is this censorship. They are high schoolers. Even though their ages are never mentioned and story mentions that shinobi schools do not care about the age, everyone knows they are high schoolers. =D

• Like 1