Worst play call of all time? (Super Bowl)

shinytrophyy

Honestly, I can't see it.  I think common sense says run the ball from the half yard line with Beast Mode, but I do understand what Carroll was thinking. 

TBH what I remember most about that play was watching the clock tick down and looking at Belichick like, really?  No time out?  He looks like a hero now but if Seattle scored with no time on the clock left...

People thought it was a boneheaded decision because there was an interception. If it was just incomplete and they scored later or there was a turnover on downs, I'm not sure a passing play wouldn't have caused this much news.

The pats were probably thinking Beast Mode was going to punch it in, but the Hawks wanted to try and trick them with a pass. It just didn't work out and Malcolm Butler ended up with a terrific story to tell on how he ended his rookie year in the NFL.

• Like 1

The play call was terrible but it wasn't the only problem.  1st of all, Seattle's defense came into the 4th quarter with a 10 point lead and let Brady absolutely shred them without any help from the running game.  A big part of that was losing Lane and forcing Simon, who can't man on man cover anyone, into the game but they should have tried to figure something out, that's strike 1.  Kearse dropped a perfect over the shoulder pass on a 3rd down when Seattle had all the momentum, strike 2.  Kearse and Lockette both got owned off the line of scrimmage on the final pick of the game and gave Butler a perfect straight line to take the ball and ice the game... strike 3.  

Bottom line.  Seattle got Seattle'd in the 4th.  Time and again they've been the one's who stalled through the first 3 quarters of a game only to break it open and take it in the 4th.  They did it to Green Bay just two weeks prior and have victimized several teams in the final minutes numerous times over the last few years.  This time, the Pats were the ones who outplayed Seattle in the 4th and, as a result, took home the win.  

I'll still say to myself "why not give it to Lynch" over and over for the next few days but right now, it's a moot point.  Game's over, Pats won.  Us Seattle fans need to swallow hard, and accept the fact that the Pats played better in the end.

• Like 1

The pass didn't fool the patriots at all. Browner set the perfect block then rookie Butler anticipated the receivers route. So it seems the hawks surprised everybody but the patriots defense. No excuse to call a pass play. 2nd and 1 with a time out left. I'm sure Lynch would've made 1 yard in 2 tries. No idea what they were possibly thinking other than keep going and win the game giving Brady no chance at marching his offense down the field with 5 seconds left or something. Brady made possibly the best defense ever look like nothing in that 4th quarter. That'll go down for sure as both the worst play call and one of the best Superbowl winning plays in terms of the Patriots side

• Like 1

The pass play really didn't catch the Patriots defense off-guard just because it was unexpected. My understanding is that because the Seahawks lined up in a 3 WR set, it was an obvious tip off that it was going to be a pass since you typically have 2 WR's in a goal line situation tops.

Stupid call when you have one of the best/strongest running backs around and you have Russell Wilson throw a quick slant while his strength is really not as a pocket passer. If any pass was attempted, I could have seen some sort of play action bootleg which could leave someone wide open or possibly give Wilson room to run it in. That's more his game after all.

Fun game to watch either way for me.

• Like 3

The pass play really didn't catch the Patriots defense off-guard just because it was unexpected. My understanding is that because the Seahawks lined up in a 3 WR set, it was an obvious tip off that it was going to be a pass since you typically have 2 WR's in a goal line situation tops.

Stupid call when you have one of the best/strongest running backs around and you have Russell Wilson throw a quick slant while his strength is really not as a pocket passer. If any pass was attempted, I could have seen some sort of play action bootleg which could leave someone wide open or possibly give Wilson room to run it in. That's more his game after all.

Fun game to watch either way for me.

I get what you're saying but that pick had nothing to do with Wilson's throw.  If Kearse would have been able to back Browner up at all then Butler would have had to adjust his lane enough to not have that perfect straight line to snatch the ball.  Lockette also got jammed up and was behind his route.  The Pats DB's owned the receivers on that play, then Butler sniffed it out and had himself a once in a lifetime moment .  Wilson is the last person I'd lay any blame on at all, the throw was fine.

I get what you're saying but that pick had nothing to do with Wilson's throw.  If Kearse would have been able to back Browner up at all then Butler would have had to adjust his lane enough to not have that perfect straight line to snatch the ball.  Lockette also got jammed up and was behind his route.  The Pats DB's owned the receivers on that play, then Butler sniffed it out and had himself a once in a lifetime moment .  Wilson is the last person I'd lay any blame on at all, the throw was fine.

And I agree that the throw wasn't Wilson's fault whatsoever. I was just making a simple statement of going to a team's strengths on a play that mattered as much as that one did (i.e. Lynch running the ball over Wilson throwing a quick slant). I'm a Broncos fan and if you could hypothetically put them in that exact same situation, that play would have been a perfectly acceptable one with Peyton Manning throwing it. As much as I like C.J. Anderson, he is nowhere near as physical as Marshawn Lynch is so I would have rather seen the Broncos throw the ball in that situation over running it. Even if Manning threw a pick the exact same way Wilson did, it wouldn't have been a bad play call, just unfortunate. However, considering what the Seahawks do best, that was a bad play call.  

You're right about that perfect lane for Butler and his read on the play was so fast too. Very impressive. 

• Like 2