Borderlands 3 "Built Specifically for Next-Gen Consoles"

Lovejinder_LJ

I am happy with this that it will be only Xbox One & PS4 only, it will give the people with PS4s and Xbox Ones something they can only play on that for once.

All in all I am pretty keen to see how this game comes out and what events will unfold.

Also curious about the characters that will be in the game anyone heard anything about the story?

• Like 1

Good. I hate when a game is on both current gen and last gen systems, it just holds the game back. It's time for devs to start focusing on current gen only. If they want to get the most out of their games, and not have to cut out certain things just so it can run on 7 year old hardware.

• Like 3

Well I cannot say that I am surprised, I am pleased :)

Good. I hate when a game is on both current gen and last gen systems, it just holds the game back. It's time for devs to start focusing on current gen only. If they want to get the most out of their games, and not have to cut out certain things just so it can run on 7 year old hardware.

But some games like Shadows of Mordor, did cut things, but only from the last gen version?  The whole nemisis system is only in the 'next gen' version is it not?  So it can be done, but I agree that having the restrictions of the old console will restrict what can be done on the new ones.

• Like 2

But some games like Shadows of Mordor, did cut things, but only from the last gen version?  The whole nemisis system is only in the 'next gen' version is it not?  So it can be done, but I agree that having the restrictions of the old console will restrict what can be done on the new ones.

Yeah, there are a few games that do that. That's the only time where it's completely fine with me, as long as you don't limit yourself just to get it on old gen consoles.

• Like 1

The problem is really the communication between devs and marketing teams. It's not like the Developer can't do it both, but they just need to take their time. The marketing are the real cause of trouble, they like to dictate to the developer to rush for their chosen date and that's why we get rushed games on both platforms. Anyway it's good news for us as I feel PS4 and X1 need real current gen focused games. 

• Like 1

This helps explain the re-activation of Borderlands servers. If you're gonna release another game in the series, previous games always get a sales bump. Might as well let people have the full series experience! Good on Gearbox!

Also, I totally understand releasing for multiple generations of consoles when there is overlap. Games take a long time to develop, test, market and release. The first 12-18 months of a new console, the new console sales will still be a fraction of what the previous generation base is. Releasing for both is the only reasonable way to hedge bets on sales. Now that we're into that 12-18 month time frame, I'm all about current gen only. Usually this is when current gen-only games will become obscure, as sales numbers will be far, far less than two generation releases and inventory dries up quicker, but we're in the digital age. There is no more artificial scarcity.

I might just find someone interested in this new game and buy it for them as a gift to show my support for Gearbox re-activating Borderlands servers.

• Like 2

Yes! Gone are the days of heavy frame rate drops in borderlands, i hope!

i'm glad its built on ps4/xbox one first and just ported down to ps3/360. Though i can't wait till these big franchise games are just exclusive to next gen.

I dont think this is going to last gen at all. 

• Like 2

I agree with this, with the following restriction: either make the game for current gen systems, or make it for last-gen systems. I don't have a PS4, and I have no problem with games going to PS4. But I do dislike getting a game that clearly isn't meant for the PS3, much as I'm sure that PS4 owners dislike getting a game that isn't meant for PS4.

• Like 2

Mature.

Let me re-phrase:

If you purchase the sequel to a game you thought was "dreadful", you're an idiot. If someone gives the game to you for free, and you play it, that's a different thing.

More mature?

Borderlands 2 was a big difference from Borderlands 1 though. I thought Borderlands 1 was boring, but #2 was actually fun.

Obviously, there is no accounting for taste, but when I think of "big differences", Borderlands and Borderlands 2 do not come to mind. Borderlands 2 is pretty much...the exact same thing. Different characters, same mechanics. There's more stuff, and it's cool, but it's not that different.

But, chacun a son gout.

Edited by starcrunch061

• 2 weeks later...