Fighting Games; Pad or Stick?

TheLiamK

Hey ya'll,

A genre of gaming I've always been on the outside looking in with is fighting games, I've wanted to get in to them for a while but the obvious barrier of entry has put me off but I've decided to nut up and go in, I've got Tekken 6, Ultra Street Fighter and KoF 13 lying around somewhere on my hard drive and I was about to order an arcade stick when the question popped in to my head of whether or not I should.

Most of the top guys/youtube FGC channels use sticks, so there's an argument for using them but I'm wondering if it's better to stick to pad. I'm used to using pad for other games so I already know the device but I don't want to get a few months in, want to switch and then have to re-learn everything on stick.

Any ideas?

I'm not much into the genre, but whenever I've played core fighting titles like Tekken and Street Fighter, I've found the complex quarter, half and full circle moves much easier on an arcade stick.

Games like UFC, which is much more up my alley, are better on a pad.

Horses for courses...

It really depends. You might want to order a very cheap stick first just to test how it feels to play and if you feel comfortable with it.

But having an arcade stick doesn't necessarily mean you get better at fighting games. Some high-level people play with pads too.

It might also depend on the games you play. I play MvC3 with a pad, while I play Street Fighter X Tekken with an arcade stick.

Definitely pad for me, I love fighting games and my way of playing them is a bit weird (I hold the controller upside down xD) but I've tried an arcade stick and maybe it was because I'm not used to it but it felt incredibly awkward (and I sucked, which usually doesn't happen lol) so I'll always play fighting games with the usual controller :D

If you are a novice at fighting games use pad, if you want to improve your fighting skills to the next level then get a stick (i use the HORI Real Arcade Pro N3-SA). However learning a stick is a lot harder than you think, you must put a LOT of dedication & effort to learn and master the stick but is really worth it imo.

Also, a fightstick "wont" make you almighty like you see on EVO & tournament videos (in case you think thats what happens when you use a fighstick).

Whatever your good with, arcade stick takes a long time getting used to if your already used to a controller and good at it.

I can play both, on sf4 I can perfectly play juri and all her trials even the last ones I can do easily on a controller ( JURI ! ) So controller is good if your good at it, if your mediocre in both, I would say go arcade stick.

Picked up Stick properly back in August (2014)

Its helped me a lot in terms of execution and comobos but besides that if your mental game, strategies, mixups and all the other concepts fighting game enthusiast use isn't in the right place it doesn't really make a difference.

feXwx.png

I also prefer shoot em ups on stick, it feels way more natural to me plus it gives me a bit of nostalgia :P

Picked up Stick properly back in August (2014)

Its helped me a lot in terms of execution and comobos but besides that if your mental game, strategies, mixups and all the other concepts fighting game enthusiast use isn't in the right place it doesn't really make a difference.

feXwx.png

I also prefer shoot em ups on stick, it feels way more natural to me plus it gives me a bit of nostalgia :P

UGAA!

So jelly... I would love to own at least one of those Persona sticks :/

I play on a pad. I don't play fighters enough to warrant buying a special controller for them. I'd love to try a stick for them, but they cost way to much to just try to see if I like it and for just the 1 or 2 fighters I play a couple of months in a year.

Edited by Ric

Prefer the pad myself, no arcades around here anymore so never grew accustomed to the arcade stick, nor do I really want to at this point either.  I think you should only bother with an arcade stick if you're more hardcore into fighting games, since the price isn't justified any other way.

I'm no fighting game aficionado, but I can't pull off the moves necessary with the pad. That stupid 2xdown-down/left-left move just kills my thumbs, and it seems to be one of the most common moves out there.

So, joystick for me (and I'm probably dating myself by using the word "joystick"). And I know that parenthetical reads strangely - shut up already.

I've plat Super Street Fighter 4 three times, MKvsDCU two times, KoF13, MK9 and Injustice, all with the d-pad on a standar dual shock 3 controller, That being said, it comes down to personal preference. I can do either. I learned fighting games in the arcade but had no issues using a ds2 on ps2 or even that clunky Dreamcast controller. If i were you, I'd try an arcade stick at an arcade first if you have one near you. Or perhaps a game store might let you demo one.

While I enjoy the genre, I don't play fighting games often, but I find it easier to pull off moves with the D-pad when playing. The analog stick never seems to cut it, and cabinet arcade sticks felt like there was a bit of a movement delay (due to the length of the sticks, affecting the distance they have to be moved), but that could be because I'm not used to them.

Damn, Romanachan, your stick is god-like! 
I found a stick relativally cheap for £50, a Tekken 6 stick, which I think is Hori, so when the gets here I'll see how things go. I play some fighting games on the 360 with pad and neither the control stick or d-pad on the controller worked for me. I think the PS3 d-pad is a bit better though so I'll see what happens. Anyone recommend any good fighting games? I'm thinking about getting the Persona one but I haven't played Persona 4 yet so I don't know if I'll be spoiling anything for myself.

Damn, Romanachan, your stick is god-like! 

I found a stick relativally cheap for £50, a Tekken 6 stick, which I think is Hori, so when the gets here I'll see how things go. I play some fighting games on the 360 with pad and neither the control stick or d-pad on the controller worked for me. I think the PS3 d-pad is a bit better though so I'll see what happens. Anyone recommend any good fighting games? I'm thinking about getting the Persona one but I haven't played Persona 4 yet so I don't know if I'll be spoiling anything for myself.

Thanks! Also its Ramonachan

Just stay away from the story mode, sadly the roster alone in the Ultimax version will spoil some plot points from Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 and 4 both of which you can get on the Playstation Online Store (US Region, not sure about EU) for cheap.