Huge amount of Day One DLC, Please stay away from game.

MafiaBrett

http://www.destructoid.com/evolve-sure-has-a-lot-of-skin-dlc-at-launch-287447.phtml

http://www.vg247.com/2015/02/10/evolve-paid-skin-dlc-on-launch/

Cosmetics are fine for dlc later down the road, but having 50 different skins each around $1.99 up to $7 each is fucking ridiculous for a launch day.

Before I saw this, my main complaint with the game that preventing me from wanting to buy was that there wasn't enough stuff in the base game to keep it from being Repetitive.

Now I see this, and I'm skipping the game till its on bargain sale a year from now to justify the price for a game where they are holding back from the customer. 

Edited by MafiaBrett

This is exactly the type of DLC I support. Even if it's at launch. Especially if it's at launch. It's all cosmetic, doesn't hinder the story, doesn't complicate the interface for new users with too many choices and helps the developer recoup investment costs faster. Having it available while they're getting the best margin (at launch) as well as when it'll have the peak number of users who have the money (they obviously paid full price, rather than year later bargin-bin pricing) is ideal for huge online multi-player games.

Cosmetic DLC at launch is ideal. Thinking about launching cosmetic DLC months after launch when the number of users is down and many have moved on is the past.

I agree, as long as it isn't cut content and doesn't hinder story progression developers can release all the cosmetic DLC they want.

I guess its fine for those who look at the game for as a week distraction before moving onto other games. But I try to view all games as something that's trying to win me over and keep me busy for up to months. 
Imagine all of these Cosmetics in the base game, thats a ton of customization options that could have been a selling point. People who do buy cosmetics are the hardcore fans anyways or people with money to throw around, those kinda fans will still be there 6 months down the road.

• Like 4

Does the outfit your character is wearing really have any effect on the gameplay?  Are they withholding any actually content that has more value than appearance?  Does a game like this really need a selling point of "Look at all the costumes you can wear"?

I would answer no to all of this, so this DLC is not a problem to me.  What does bother me about this game is that they were marketing the DLC before they were even marketing the game.  This game is built so they can add monsters and hunters and start charging more money.  The cosmetic stuff isn't the real problem here, it is the fact that a console game was developed and built from the ground up for pretty much the main purpose of being compatible to sell more DLC.  I fear that the main game will lose out because it was not the focus at all.

You're not getting it. Nearly 50 pieces of content that should be in the game, its all ready and there at your hands but they smack your hand and say you gotta pay extra.

They know it wont get the backlash since its not "story" or progression, but I darn sure guarantee this supports Publishers/Devs into wanting to hold back more and more stuff in the future. 

If the game flopped because of Launch Day DLC, could you imagine the rally cry behind that and how all Devs would stop doing that shit. We would get a beefier game without any pay wall restrictions on day one.

Amazing right? Almost unthinkable because with that attitude we might aswell welcome the devs with open arms.

I think you are misusing the term "pay-wall".  A costume that you have to buy is not a pay-wall, it is a bonus that you can have if you want, or not have.  It makes no difference at all to your game.  A pay-wall is a restriction like in Ace combat, where you either have to play for many many months to get any decent planes, or you have to buy them.  That is a pay-wall, but it is a free game, so its not as bad.

So yes, all of that could have been in the game, but honestly I would say 75%+ of the players would not miss it if it was never even offered.  

Edited by Sir_Bee

Honestly you should have seen this coming. It's been known for awhile that Evolve will have an "aggressive DLC plan" and has been "built from the ground up to support DLC" so this really isn't that surprising.  Personally I don't like day one dlc but it is only cosmetic stuff so i think it's fine for now.

Edited by Yoshi

You're not getting it. Nearly 50 pieces of content that should be in the game, its all ready and there at your hands but they smack your hand and say you gotta pay extra.

They know it wont get the backlash since its not "story" or progression, but I darn sure guarantee this supports Publishers/Devs into wanting to hold back more and more stuff in the future. 

If the game flopped because of Launch Day DLC, could you imagine the rally cry behind that and how all Devs would stop doing that shit. We would get a beefier game without any pay wall restrictions on day one.

Amazing right? Almost unthinkable because with that attitude we might aswell welcome the devs with open arms.

So what you're saying is we should all be like you and moan about not getting some skin packs because it gives Devs ideas about holding back on shit? Like 99% of Devs have been doing since it all started?

You need to realise that most AAA games will have DLC, skins, story, whatever from the get go, it's how they work.

Oh and also, I do get it.. I just don't care enough about DLC to moan about it. It's skin packs. Like others have said, if it anyway stops the story and you have to pay extra to find out what happens then it's a different story.

Edited by Meacham93

Does the outfit your character is wearing really have any effect on the gameplay?  Are they withholding any actually content that has more value than appearance?  Does a game like this really need a selling point of "Look at all the costumes you can wear"?

I would answer no to all of this, so this DLC is not a problem to me.  What does bother me about this game is that they were marketing the DLC before they were even marketing the game.  This game is built so they can add monsters and hunters and start charging more money.  The cosmetic stuff isn't the real problem here, it is the fact that a console game was developed and built from the ground up for pretty much the main purpose of being compatible to sell more DLC.  I fear that the main game will lose out because it was not the focus at all.

I think you are misusing the term "pay-wall".  A costume that you have to buy is not a pay-wall, it is a bonus that you can have if you want, or not have.  It makes no difference at all to your game.  A pay-wall is a restriction like in Ace combat, where you either have to play for many many months to get any decent planes, or you have to buy them.  That is a pay-wall, but it is a free game, so its not as bad.

So yes, all of that could have been in the game, but honestly I would say 75%+ of the players would not miss it if it was never even offered.  

My mistake about the pay wall, was trying to say something else that came off wrong. But yes customization is a selling point. Shooters use it very well and people buy into that selling point all the time. One shooter has less customization than another and it gets hated on. Evolve is a game in a small genre the only other game you can accurately compare it to is Left 4 Dead. So maybe customization isn't a big deal for you, but I would've loved it since I already was thinking this game was pretty bare bones to begin with. It didnt even have to be given to you I would love to work for it in-game. 

You talking about more classes/monsters being added in is part of a larger problem but the same problem. Ever heard the phrase, start off small? this is basically that. I wouldn't be surprised if they already have 1 or 2 extra monsters, a few extra maps already fully done but are now planning to include those with the season pass rather than the launch game.

My mistake about the pay wall, was trying to say something else that came off wrong. But yes customization is a selling point. Shooters use it very well and people buy into that selling point all the time. One shooter has less customization than another and it gets hated on. Evolve is a game in a small genre the only other game you can accurately compare it to is Left 4 Dead. So maybe customization isn't a big deal for you, but I would've loved it since I already was thinking this game was pretty bare bones to begin with. It didnt even have to be given to you I would love to work for it in-game. 

You talking about more classes/monsters being added in is part of a larger problem but the same problem. Ever heard the phrase, start off small? this is basically that. I wouldn't be surprised if they already have 1 or 2 extra monsters, a few extra maps already fully done but are now planning to include those with the season pass rather than the launch game.

I am agreeing with you that there is a problem with this game, I am just disagreeing where the problem lies.  You are correct, me not liking the cosmetic DLC is my opinion, and there are certainly others who would like to have it in game.  And you are also correct that maybe the cosmetic DLC is the first baby step in the bigger problem.  I however don't see it that way, but I still have a huge problem with the way this game was marketed and built.  We may both have the same problem with this game, we just see it start at different points.

You keep saying that there are 50 DLC costumes for 2-5 dollars.  I will give you the same argument I give my fiance all the time when she says she needs to own 50 pairs of shoes, you don't need all of them.  If you buy one or two, you will have enough to make that character yours.  In that case, it costs 4-10 dollars, and if the game really is any good, that isn't a bad price to put on customization, providing the developers put their focus on the main game.  I fear though that the developers have essentially created a beta game, charged full price, and then want to make the game whole at a later date and charge you much more money.  The skins don't detract from the game to me, and I could take them or leave them.  It is the other content that I worry about.

I kind of agree, this is the DLC I refuse to support. It's stuff that should've been in the game from the beginning.

Sure, it doesn't affect gameplay or story or anything and I get that argument, but once upon a time those things would've been in the game so that you could earn them through playing the actual game and would've been a good selling point.

Actually buying this stuff just encourages bad practices and the VG industry is a steaming pile of shit nowadays anyway.

If you're doing to do DLC, work on it after release and have it actually add content.

Borderlands/Fallout/Skyrim/LA Noire all add a good amount and good quality content for what they're charging.

Evolve feels like the Devs know it's kinda shit so they'll try and milk a bit extra from skins before it dies completely.

I get that not everyone agrees but negative opinions are just as valid as others.

• Like 3

So what you're saying is we should all be like you and moan about not getting some skin packs because it gives Devs ideas about holding back on shit? Like 99% of Devs have been doing since it all started?

99% of the games I play certainly doesn't have DLCs. In fact, most of the time the games I play don't have DLCs. Should also be noted that I intentionally avoid many games that has DLCs. I see no reason to pay for stuff that should have come with the game I already paid full price for... If people do as you encourage, then they'd push DLCs even more. How many who does it, how often it is done or how it has been done, it's very much irrelevant. The conclusion that this makes it better or that we shouldn't whine about it simply doesn't seem to follow from your premise.

You need to realise that most AAA games will have DLC, skins, story, whatever from the get go, it's how they work.

Why? Why should this be the case?

Oh and also, I do get it.. I just don't care enough about DLC to moan about it. It's skin packs. Like others have said, if it anyway stops the story and you have to pay extra to find out what happens then it's a different story.

Sorry, but you don't seem to get it. Yes, it's just a skin pack, and most of us don't care all that much. Why do they need to put this kind of content behind a pay wall? Do you not see how arrogant they are when they put content of the game behind an additional paywall expecting us to pay for it after we've already paid full price for the game? Please don't encourage people to stop whine about this, because it's still a problem.

Oh, and sorry if you feel I'm harsh on you. Remember, it's just a discussion of ideas, nothing personal.

Edited by MMDE

99% of the games I play certainly doesn't have DLCs. In fact, most of the time the games I play don't have DLCs. Should also be noted that I intentionally avoid many games that has DLCs. I see no reason to pay for stuff that should have come with the game I already paid full price for... If people do as you encourage, then they'd push DLCs even more. How many who does it, how often it is done or how it has been done, it's very much irrelevant. The conclusion that this makes it better or that we shouldn't whine about it simply doesn't seem to follow from your premise.

Why? Why should this be the case?

Sorry, but you don't seem to get it. Yes, it's just a skin pack, and most of us don't care all that much. Why do they need to put this kind of content behind a pay wall? Do you not see how arrogant they are when they put content of the game behind an additional paywall expecting us to pay for it after we've already paid full price for the game? Please don't encourage people to stop whine about this, because it's still a problem.

Oh, and sorry if you feel I'm harsh on you. Remember, it's just a discussion of ideas, nothing personal.

It's my opinion, you're saying you wont play a game based on trophies, in my opinion that's just silly. Okay sure 99% was an exaggeration but big companies tend to have DLC.

It would be no different with these who did exactly the same with L4D.

Also, how am I meant to know why it's the case, they do it not me.

I'll encourage who I like, if you're simply going to moan about them not giving you a couple of extra skins on day one the why shouldn't I tell you to stop moaning?

You're getting a game from hard work they put in for years, yet will go out of your way to say this and that for extra skins? 

It's not arrogance at all it's getting a few extra buck and why not? Appreciation for hard work they put in? It's not like you're going to have an advantage getting a pink camo.

Like I said to Brett, I do get it. I'm just not that bothered.

It's just a matter of opinion, you have yours and I have mine, moan about mine all you will but that's just me.

Edited by Meacham93

This is exactly the type of DLC I support. Even if it's at launch. Especially if it's at launch. It's all cosmetic, doesn't hinder the story, doesn't complicate the interface for new users with too many choices and helps the developer recoup investment costs faster. Having it available while they're getting the best margin (at launch) as well as when it'll have the peak number of users who have the money (they obviously paid full price, rather than year later bargin-bin pricing) is ideal for huge online multi-player games.

Cosmetic DLC at launch is ideal. Thinking about launching cosmetic DLC months after launch when the number of users is down and many have moved on is the past.

I respectfully disagree for a few reasons.

1. It's still Day One DLC, which means that some of the time that we were made to believe was to optimize the game was actually spent to make more stuff to sell us despite having just paid 60$ for the thing.

2. The game has a 60$ pricetag! I find it hard to believe that holding back these skins behind a paywall is necessary to be able to support the game.

3. The game is and i quote "built from the ground up to support DLC" so i find it hard to believe there isn't more content held back for selling in the future.

4. One of the monsters, which i'd count as essential content, actually is hidden behind a day one paywall in form of a preorder bonus.

5. Have you even seen the crazy business they pulled with all the super duper preorder fancy schmancy editions they announced?

Edited by HappyKastanie
  • Like 1

I am hearing a lot of people say that all of this content used to be in games, and now we have to buy it.  I would like to turn that around for a second.  There is also a lot more to these games than the older ones.  The development costs are much higher (sometimes for terrible reasons, but they are still higher).  In many cases, we are getting a hell of a lot for our 60 dollar fee.  As technology gets more and more advanced, and graphics get better, worlds get bigger, systems can handle more things happening, games are providing us a lot more to enjoy.  To say that we used to get skins in game, is ignoring the fact that we didn't used to get the same level of everything else.

I am not saying that this is the case here, but I am saying that there is a flaw to the argument that games used to give us this stuff for free.

• Like 4