The Order: 1886 Dev: Play Time Depends on Player Ability; Doesn’t Utilize PS4 100%

ZeroXOF

260770-theorder.jpg

Read more on DualShockers and Gamingbot: http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/02/10/the-order-1886-dev-play-time-depends-on-player-ability-doesnt-utilize-ps4-100/ 

http://gamingbolt.com/you-should-be-able-to-platinum-the-order-1886-in-one-day

It was expected, I do hope the Order:1886 has some flare like Uncharted. I do feel that that it will be more of a late tech demo instead of a full game, but I'll play it nonetheless. 

• Like 1

What's the average game completion time from youtubers who have beaten the game already been like?

Or has that not surfaced yet?

I'll be waiting for a price drop when this game drops, but I would be content with a 8-10 hour, linear, play it safe third person game IF it has a fantastic story.

Edited by qxc

The more I hear and see about The Order: 1886 the worse it seems. I don't think it will be a bad game, but every time the Devs talk about or show stuff about it, the game seems really average.

Every time I see anything about The Order, it looks like it a PS3 game that could have been released in 2013, but they decided to push it to the PS4 without adding anything to it besides better graphics.

• Like 2

" Play Time Depends on Player Ability "

No shit, really?

DualShockers like to shock people, sometimes with stupidity and sometimes.......... I don't know.

The more I hear and see about The Order: 1886 the worse it seems. I don't think it will be a bad game, but every time the Devs talk about or show stuff about it, the game seems really average.

Every time I see anything about The Order, it looks like it a PS3 game that could have been released in 2013, but they decided to push it to the PS4 without adding anything to it besides better graphics.

I wouldn't say that but the hype for this game is kinda undeserved. We already know the graphics are above par but the gameplay is the problem holding people back. I believe this game can be the GOW for the PS universe.

What's the average game completion time from youtubers who have beaten the game already been like?

Or has that not surfaced yet?

I'll be waiting for a price drop when this game drops, but I would be content with a 8-10 hour, linear, play it safe third person game IF it has a fantastic story.

The game looks decent i guess. But i have to ask. What exactly is considered to have an fantastic story? 

Is this supposed to be a bad thing? What other than graphics do you think should have been improved when comparing a PS3 and a PS4 game?

• Like 1

Is this supposed to be a bad thing? What other than graphics do you think should have been improved when comparing a PS3 and a PS4 game?

Better in-game physics, refinement of established mechanics/level design, more modes of play.

There's a lot more that can be improved and added other than the visuals.

• Like 3

The negativity surrounding this game is jarring. Sure its no Last of us but it looks miles better than any other third person shooter I can think of. They have me hooked with the setting, i know little enough about the story to be surprised but enough to be excited. Every since it was shown like 18 months ago people have shat on this game and at this point it just seems like echoes instead of people voicing their actual opinions. Sure it could still blow ass but I don't understand why people just write it off as bad or generic. I really hope this game shuts people up. 

• Like 2

Yes it would be a bad thing if The Order: 1886 turned out to be an average PS3 game better graphics.

Every since the The Order: 1886 was unveiled Sony has hyped up this game as one of the big reasons to get a PS4.

It's the first PS4 game of the year that's supposed to feel like a game you can only get on the PS4 game.

Do to all this hype, if The Order: 1886 comes out and it feels like a average PS3 game with better graphics, it will have failed as a purchase justification for the PS4.

The Order: 1886 only has to do one thing and that is be the new baseline for average PS4 games, which means it has to have a smooth frame rate, a good story, good gameplay, look better then any PS3 game, have little to no load times, and most importantly it has to feel like a PS4 game. If it can do those things then it will be fine.

The Order: 1886 doesn't have to be a 10 out of 10 game, it only has to be a solid 7 that you can only play on the PS4.

Edited by soultaker655

I can't wait to play it, honestly i don't understand all the negativity.

Because so far according to most previews, the only positive thing being talked about are the game's visuals and not the gameplay, which has some people nervous. Even the most recent trailer just had quotes about the visuals.

Shame that most critics will probably go into the game with this negativity in mind.

Better in-game physics, refinement of established mechanics/level design, more modes of play.

There's a lot more that can be improved and added other than the visuals.

Oh, so you don't think physics are a part of graphics?

Why would it have better mechanics, level design and modes of play? Are you saying last generation consoles couldn't handle this???

One thing they could improve is AI.

Do you have any reason to believe this game was started on to be released for PS3?

Yes it would be a bad thing if The Order: 1886 turned out to be an average PS3 game better graphics.

Every since the The Order: 1886 was unveiled Sony has hyped up this game as one of the big reasons to get a PS4.

It's the first PS4 game of the year that's supposed to feel like a game you can only get on the PS4 game.

Do to all this hype, if The Order: 1886 comes out and it feels like a average PS3 game with better graphics, it will have failed as a purchase justification for the PS4.

The Order: 1886 only has to do one thing and that is be the new baseline for average PS4 games, which means it has to have a smooth frame rate, a good story, good gameplay, look better then any PS3 game, have little to no load times, and most importantly it has to feel like a PS4 game. If it can do those things then it will be fine.

The Order: 1886 doesn't have to be a 10 out of 10 game, it only has to be a solid 7 that you can only play on the PS4.

The point here was, what new to expect from a PS4 game that you couldn't have in a PS3 game? I wasn't talking about the average thing, and I honestly don't know why anyone is expecting anything but good graphics from this game. You say Sony has hyped it up... What have they hyped you up for?

Even a NES game could have a good story, good gameplay and a smooth frame rate, so this is not what this game should do better than a PS3 game.

If it's made to show what the PS4 can do, it should look better than any PS3 game.

There are NES games with basically no load times, though a different type of technology, but when it comes to discs, there were PS2 games with just about no load time. Same with PS3. Sure, it would be cool if it had little, because after all, now it doesn't read from an optical disc and has a lot more memory. It shouldn't have lots of long load times all over the place, that'd be rather shitty for any game.

Feel like a PS4 game? How does a PS4 game feel?

Edited by MMDE

Why would it have better mechanics, level design and modes of play? Are you saying last generation consoles couldn't handle this???

Since the PS4 is more powerful and easier to make games for then the PS3 everything about any PS4 game should be better then a PS3 game. The PS3 did a lot of things like game mechanics and level design well and the PS4 has to build on top of that. We have reached the point in the PS4 lifespan where none of it's games should have a PS3 version, so none of the AAA games released for the PS4 should look or feel like a PS3 game with better graphics.

Do you have any reason to believe this game was started on to be released for PS3?

No, it just the gameplay and cutscenes they have shown make the game look like a late in the generation PS3 game instead of a early in the generation PS4 game.

Graphics-wise this game would push the PS3 to it's limit, but gameplay-wise it don't seem to do anything the PS3 couldn't already do.

The point here was, what new to expect from a PS4 game that you couldn't have in a PS3 game? I wasn't talking about the average thing, and I honestly don't know why anyone is expecting anything but good graphics from this game. You say Sony has hyped it up... What have they hyped you up for?

Since this is a AAA PS4 game we should expect more then just good graphics from this game. Games have past the point where good graphics are the only thing that makes a game acceptable. Almost every game should have good graphics, but they should also have things like good gameplay and A.I.

This was one of the first PS4 game Sony announced and every since that announcement they have hyped this game up, unfortunately every time they show anything about this game it doesn't look like it will live up to all the hype.

Even a NES game could have a good story, good gameplay and a smooth frame rate, so this is not what this game should do better than a PS3 game.

If it's made to show what the PS4 can do, it should look better than any PS3 game.

There are NES games with basically no load times, though a different type of technology, but when it comes to discs, there were PS2 games with just about no load time. Same with PS3. Sure, it would be cool if it had little, because after all, now it doesn't read from an optical disc and has a lot more memory. It shouldn't have lots of long load times all over the place, that'd be rather shitty for any game.

Exactly, It should look better then a PS3 game and shouldn't have any of the old problems some good graphics PS3 games had like screen tearing and frame rate drops, and it should also have good story, good gameplay, and be a decent length. So when the game dev say things like "Play Time Depends on Player Ability" when combined with the gameplay and cutscenes they released it makes a game that could be really good look average.

Feel like a PS4 game? How does a PS4 game feel?

That's actual kind of hard to explain. It's a lot of little things that when combined should make any higher generation of consoles version of a type of game, feel better then any of the past generation of consoles version of that same type of game.

Like if you played a FPS on the PS1 and then played on the PS2. The PS2's FPS should feel better the PS1's FPS, since the PS2's FPS should have things like better graphics, better level design, and so on. If the PS2 FPS didn't have these things it would be a bad game and wouldn't really be a PS2 game even if it was released on the console.

Sorry if that doesn't explain what I mean by game feel very well, but I'm tired and I can't think of a better way to explain it right now.

Edited by soultaker655

Since the PS4 is more powerful and easier to make games for then the PS3 everything about any PS4 game should be better then a PS3 game. The PS3 did a lot of things like game mechanics and level design well and the PS4 has to build on top of that. We have reached the point in the PS4 lifespan where none of it's games should have a PS3 version, so none of the AAA games released for the PS4 should look or feel like a PS3 game with better graphics.

I would have been more inclined to agree with you if you said something like it shouldn't be worse, or it should be at least as good, but this would tear you entire argument down. There's two why's here, and I will start with the latter. It would tear your argument down, because if it's just as good or not worse, it can be the same. The first why is why we should expect this and not what you suggest, that the game should be better. The point is that hardware is a limitation, so if the PS4 has the same limitations and non-limitations of the PS3 in terms of what they want to do, then we should just expect as good, not better.

It would seem you are interested in forced gameplay mechanics to show off the PS4. Personally I'm not at all interested in this. It doesn't just ruin the games in terms of adding something totally unnecessary, but it also waste development money, and what I said earlier still applies.

No, it just the gameplay and cutscenes they have shown make the game look like a late in the generation PS3 game instead of a early in the generation PS4 game.

Graphics-wise this game would push the PS3 to it's limit, but gameplay-wise it don't seem to do anything the PS3 couldn't already do.

Here you kind of contradict yourself. You said earlier that we're at the point where we should expect PS4 games where none of the games should have a PS3 port too. I strongly disagree with this, but that's beside the point here I guess. The point is that you now say that it should be like an early generation PS4 game. I've already addressed your pushing gameplay to it's limits, but what you talk about is not really a thing anymore.

Since this is a AAA PS4 game we should expect more then just good graphics from this game. Games have past the point where good graphics are the only thing that makes a game acceptable. Almost every game should have good graphics, but they should also have things like good gameplay and A.I.

This was one of the first PS4 game Sony announced and every since that announcement they have hyped this game up, unfortunately every time they show anything about this game it doesn't look like it will live up to all the hype.

Yes, games should have good gameplay. I'm not sure what you're looking at AAA titles for when it comes to gameplay, because they usually take the safe route, not risking the huge budget, and doesn't invent. The only thing that makes a game a AAA title is the budget, not how good the game is in any way. What costs money? Graphics.

Exactly, It should look better then a PS3 game and shouldn't have any of the old problems some good graphics PS3 games had like screen tearing and frame rate drops, and it should also have good story, good gameplay, and be a decent length. So when the game dev say things like "Play Time Depends on Player Ability" when combined with the gameplay and cutscenes they released it makes a game that could be really good look average.

If you want graphics and high frame rate, you want stable gameplay, not something that pushes the console.

Sure, you want the game to have a good story, but that's completely irrelevant for this discussion.

The game very well may be average.

The reason the devs talked about the play time depends on player ability is because someone who had already played the game got the complete the game trophy in like 5 hours. The person who did this has said it took them a while before they got the first trophy, so the 5 hours isn't very accurate. In any case, this forced the devs to come out and talk about it.

That's actual kind of hard to explain. It's a lot of little things that when combined should make any higher generation of consoles version of a type of game, feel better then any of the past generation of consoles version of that same type of game.

Like if you played a FPS on the PS1 and then played on the PS2. The PS2's FPS should feel better the PS1's FPS, since the PS2's FPS should have things like better graphics, better level design, and so on. If the PS2 FPS didn't have these things it would be a bad game and wouldn't really be a PS2 game even if it was released on the console.

Sorry if that doesn't explain what I mean by game feel very well, but I'm tired and I can't think of a better way to explain it right now.

Many of my favorite games are quite a lot of generations old, and I can compare them favorably to games coming out nowadays. After a certain point there's not much of a gameplay limitation, only graphics. Some of my favorite FPS games are from around 6th generation, and some none in 7th generation surpassed, even if 7th generation was overly filled with FPS games.

Yes, you didn't answer at all what you mean by feel. A feeling is pretty much by definition subjective, so unless you can be more concrete, it's not very useful.

• Like 1

First of all I have to apologize, I wrote that reply when I was really tried and when I write while tried I tend to ramble on about stuff and lose my point.

My point was The Order: 1886 needs to be the Uncharted 1 of the PS4.

Uncharted 1 was one of the first PS3 games to show improvements to it's genre that could only be done on the PS3.

One of the easiest way to see the improvements it made is to compare it to one of the PS2 tomb raider games.

They are the same genre of game, but you can see the improvements Uncharted 1 made due to it being on the PS3.

The Order: 1886 need to show some improvements to it's genre that can only be done because it's on the PS4.

They have already shown that the graphics look better, but they haven't shown anything that makes the gameplay look better.

I do see you point though, last-gen made huge improvements to almost every game genre, so much so that it may be impossible for any dev to improve on gameplay right now.

If that so then The Order: 1886's gameplay needs to as good as the best game in it genre. 

The Order: 1886 looks to be a cover-based third person shooter a la Gears of War. So The Order: 1886 gameplay needs to be as good as the best Gears of War game.

As for the feel thing, like I said it's a hard thing to explain, so hard that I may not be able to explain it to you in such a way you will be able to understand what I mean.

It has to do with the improvements thing I was talking about above, but it's even more then that. Try comparing Mario 64 to Mario Galaxy, they are the same type of game and Galaxy was built on top of things 64 did, but when you play them Galaxy should feel like a newer and better game then 64.

You may enjoy playing 64 more the Galaxy, but you should still be able to feel the difference between to games due to them being from different game generations.

Edited by soultaker655

First of all I have to apologize, I wrote that reply when I was really tried and when I write while tried I tend to ramble on about stuff and lose my point.

Uncharted 1 was one of the first PS3 games to show improvements to it's genre that could only be done on the PS3.

One of the easiest way to see the improvements it made is to compare it to one of the PS2 tomb raider games.

They are the same genre of game, but you can see the improvements Uncharted 1 made due to it being on the PS3.

The Order: 1886 need to show some improvements to it's genre that can only be done because it's on the PS4.

They have already shown that the graphics look better, but they haven't shown anything that makes the gameplay look better.

I do see you point though, last-gen made huge improvements to almost every game genre, so much so that it may be impossible for any dev to improve on gameplay right now.

If that so then The Order: 1886's gameplay needs to as good as the best game in it genre. 

The Order: 1886 looks to be a cover-based third person shooter a la Gears of War. So The Order: 1886 gameplay needs to be as good as the best Gears of War game.

As for the feel thing, like I said it's a hard thing to explain, so hard that I may not be able to explain it to you in such a way you will be able to understand what I mean.

It has to do with the improvements thing I was talking about above, but it's even more then that. Try comparing Mario 64 to Mario Galaxy, they are the same type of game and Galaxy was built on top of things 64 did, but when you play them Galaxy should feel like a newer and better game then 64.

You may enjoy playing 64 more the Galaxy, but you should still be able to feel the difference between to games due to them being from different game generations.

Here's the thing, what makes you think there were hardware limitations as to what they could do gameplay wise last generation that somehow is fixed this generation?

Also, I'm not sure why you expect AAA titles to have some kind of new gameplay. They put a lot of money into something they know they can benefit from.

You want The Order 1886 to do something that couldn't have been on PS4 gameplay wise, but why??? Just to show off PS4? Is this developer really the right ones for being able to pull that off?

When it comes to being as good as the best in the genre of last generation, I'm not so sure that's a valid assessment either, because it comes down to the people making the game and the budget. I think we should expect it to play at least as good as most decent cover-based shooters currently on the market. It's kinda disappointing if it plays just decent though. We kinda want something better.

Most of the improvements between SM64 and SMG isn't gameplay wise. The gameplay is just changed a bit, and most of it could just as well have been on N64. In any case, I don't think there are that there are as many limitations differences between PS3 and PS4 as between N64 and NGC. PS4 certainly is a more powerful console and is a lot easier to write games for.

I do think we should have higher expectations to graphics, physics, AI etc when this is in focus. I don't really care much for better graphics though. It's cool and all, and if the graphics doesn't cost a lot, it's cool if they look decent enough.

As for this game, I've said it in another thread. If the trophy list doesn't require a lot of me to 100% and the story and gameplay is decent enough, I might pick it up like a year after release for a low price.

You gotta acknowledge the fact that this is Ready at Dawns first ever console game, not just ps4 game. All they've done in the past is God of War games on PSP. For them to come from PSP and bring out a game as high in quality as The Order is quite a feat. There will be those developers that think outside the box and bring innovation to current genres, but to expect that out of a lowly PSP developer on their first ever console game is a bit much. 

Here's the thing, what makes you think there were hardware limitations as to what they could do gameplay wise last generation that somehow is fixed this generation?

Because, doing the PS4 reveal event that what almost every dev said. All they talked about was how the improved ram and closer to PC specs would allow them to make better games now then when they made games on the PS3. To me this means better graphics and better gameplay.

Also, I'm not sure why you expect AAA titles to have some kind of new gameplay. They put a lot of money into something they know they can benefit from.

You want The Order 1886 to do something that couldn't have been on PS4 gameplay wise, but why??? Just to show off PS4? Is this developer really the right ones for being able to pull that off?

Because it's a AAA game. Yes they put a lot of money into it so it should have good solid gameplay. It doesn't have to be new, but as a AAA game in a new generation it should be as good if not better then the best in it's genre from the last generation. If it isn't then people won't buy it and the dev will not make enough money off the game.

It doesn't matter which developer it is, as soon as you start making one of the first AAA game for a new consoles your game will be used to show off that consoles. If they can't pull it off they may not get the change to make another game at this level.

When it comes to being as good as the best in the genre of last generation, I'm not so sure that's a valid assessment either, because it comes down to the people making the game and the budget. I think we should expect it to play at least as good as most decent cover-based shooters currently on the market. It's kinda disappointing if it plays just decent though. We kinda want something better.

Exactly, we would be disappointed if the gameplay is only decent. Any game developer could go and play the best of any genre from last generation for less then a few hundred dollars. With that they could play those game and compare their gameplay to them as they are making their game. If they have AAA money they should use it to make a game with gameplay that as good if not better then the best of last generation.

I do think we should have higher expectations to graphics, physics, AI etc when this is in focus. I don't really care much for better graphics though. It's cool and all, and if the graphics doesn't cost a lot, it's cool if they look decent enough.

As for this game, I've said it in another thread. If the trophy list doesn't require a lot of me to 100% and the story and gameplay is decent enough, I might pick it up like a year after release for a low price.

I feel the exact same way, we should have higher expectations for everything in this the eighth generation of game consoles. Better graphics are cool, but the most important thing about any game is good solid gameplay with a solid frame rate. Even if it turn out to be a bad game I will probably pick up when it's $20-$30 just to see the game for myself. 

You gotta acknowledge the fact that this is Ready at Dawns first ever console game, not just ps4 game. All they've done in the past is God of War games on PSP. For them to come from PSP and bring out a game as high in quality as The Order is quite a feat. There will be those developers that think outside the box and bring innovation to current genres, but to expect that out of a lowly PSP developer on their first ever console game is a bit much. 

I do acknowledge the fact that this is Ready at Dawns first ever console game. However, just because it's their first console game doesn't mean I won't hold them to the same standards I hold for other developers. They may have only made a few PSP games, but they decided to make a AAA PS4 game so I will judge it by what I expect from a PS4 game. It may be unfair of me to expect a lot from them, but that's what happens when they are trying to sell a new game for a new consoles to me.    

Edited by soultaker655