What will sony do to counter Nintendos Amiibo? (Discussion)

Grample_Gust

As we all know. Sony is infamous for making "Copies" of Nintendo products and making them "worse". For instance:

Super Smash bros = Playstation All-Stars

The wii motion controls = The PS move 

The DS = The vita. (Although the vita isn't exactly "Worse".) and so on and so forth. So now, I ask. What are they planning to make to counter Amiibo? Don't know what an Amiibo is? Its simple. They're like little skylanders but with nintendo characters. The catch is that they work with multiple games instead of just one. These things are selling like hot cakes. And rumor has it that Sony might be at it again to make their own version. All this thread is is a discussion on what YOU think they have planned, what the toys will look like, what game (or games) they will work with. ETC. And if you would purchase them. 

Personally I think they will wind up doing the exact same thing but with playstation characters, I can see them coming to life in a PS move game or something along those lines. It would be quite nice if sony could make figures of all their famous IPs (And they have a lot) Though I wouldn't expect them to be as high quality as the Amiibo have been. And if they're priced reasonably and they aren't constantly suffering from artificial rarity I can see myself buying up a Nathan drake or a sly cooper amiibo. Anyways. Discuss!

I'm not so sure Sony will do this since, unlike Nintendo, they would be pulling from IP owned by multiple companies. 

Though the Amiibo's are selling well Nintendo really hasn't fully justified their existence yet, at least to me.  Tracking data and applying add-on's and abilities is nice but unlike Skylanders or Disney Infinity they don't necessarily justify their existence muchless owning them all outside of the cool factor.  Hopefully Nintendo has something in the works since, unlike SL or DI, they could be building a game around the figures rather than building figures around a game.  It has the potential to be better.

That being said I don't think Sony will follow-up unless something like that is achieved.

Edited by Bucknerd
  • Like 1

As we all know. Sony is infamous for making "Copies" of Nintendo products and making them "worse".

It's not just Sony, everyone "borrows" things. Nintendo and Microsoft borrowed the PS Eye to create the Wii controllers and Kinect. Developers borrow ideas from other games to create their games. If it generates enough money Sony will probably create its own version of the amiibo.

• Like 1

As we all know. Sony is infamous for making "Copies" of Nintendo products and making them "worse". For instance:

Super Smash bros = Playstation All-Stars

The wii motion controls = The PS move 

The DS = The vita. (Although the vita isn't exactly "Worse".) and so on and so forth. So now, I ask. What are they planning to make to counter Amiibo? Don't know what an Amiibo is? Its simple. They're like little skylanders but with nintendo characters. The catch is that they work with multiple games instead of just one. These things are selling like hot cakes. And rumor has it that Sony might be at it again to make their own version. All this thread is is a discussion on what YOU think they have planned, what the toys will look like, what game (or games) they will work with. ETC. And if you would purchase them. 

Personally I think they will wind up doing the exact same thing but with playstation characters, I can see them coming to life in a PS move game or something along those lines. It would be quite nice if sony could make figures of all their famous IPs (And they have a lot) Though I wouldn't expect them to be as high quality as the Amiibo have been. And if they're priced reasonably and they aren't constantly suffering from artificial rarity I can see myself buying up a Nathan drake or a sly cooper amiibo. Anyways. Discuss!

while the design on the PS move is horrible it performs better than nintendos motionplus, but i dont see sony jumping into the collectible figure model as their focus seems to be on VR headset atm

Didn't Nintendo just copy Skylanders and Disney Infinity? 

I dont think Sony would need to do something like this with such a huge market share already. I know people who own Amiibo's that don't even own a Wii U. I saw them more as collectibles than peripherals. 

If anything, probably LittleBigPlanet at some point.  It'll probably be how they release the DLC costumes.  Although, Sony doesn't really need it.  They have Skylanders and Disney Infinity already on their consoles.  So unless Microsoft bring out their own exclusive figure collecting game, I don't see Sony really having to either.

If I remember history right, didn't the studio behind Skylanders approach Nintendo with their original idea and get rebuffed? If so, it seems to me Nintendo would be the one guilty here of taking someone else's idea and making a worse copy.

Yeah, Activision gave them the chance to get Skylanders exclusively. For some insane reason, they said no.

How to counter this? Crash Bandicoot remake for PS4!

Let's take part of the children gaming market share with that! Sony doesn't need the figurines!!!

Plus, amiibos are selling great overall, but they've already had to discontinue certain amiibos due to poor selling such as Marth.

Edit: never mind, Nintendo is just full of a bunch of a-holes!

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

How to counter this? Crash Bandicoot remake for PS4!

Let's take part of the children gaming market share with that! Sony doesn't need the figurines!!!

Plus, amiibos are selling great overall, but they've already had to discontinue certain amiibos due to poor selling such as Marth (Oddly enough, the Marth amiibo would've been my second choice behind Link if I had to buy one).

id like 2nd crash bandicoot and i dont think marth was discontinued because of poor selling, from my understanding because certain franchises are not widely popular nintendo is only giving 1 release run of the amiibos in an attempt to ramp up popularity

Plus, amiibos are selling great overall, but they've already had to discontinue certain amiibos due to poor selling such as Marth (Oddly enough, the Marth amiibo would've been my second choice behind Link if I had to buy one).

lol no. Marth was selling hella good. They made certain characters rare on purpose. It wasn't even a month after release when they took marth, villager, and wii fit trainer off the market. They said they purposely made some characters have less stock because they "Aren't as popular". Has nothing to do with poor selling. But bad business practices. 

They could counter it by making the best selling console of the generatio..... Oh wait. Nevermind.

That wouldn't have been the case if nintendo wasn't so ignorant with their marketing. Heck, I had no clue what a Wii U was until a week before pre-orders went up. Before then I just thought it was an upgrade to the Wii, and apparently everyone else did too. Had they marketed it better. It would've surpassed all other consoles in sales (Or at least been slightly less or on-par.)