Is this game hard or am I just really bad?

mahoganyman

I've beaten the first two bosses, the mansion and the forest boss (not the remix versions) and for the life of me I can't beat Ponce de Lion.  IN general, the Maya is tough for me.  I'm currently level 113 and the enemies in the Maya are typically in the 30's.  This big of a level gap should make it easy for me, but no.  Any tips for beating the Maya boss and subsequently the remaining two bosses?

Edit:  I beat Ponce de Lion, but am still getting overwhelmed by enemies in the Maya and the last world (forgot name, looks like hell)

Edited by mahoganyman

Its hard. its a lot of pattern learning. The remix bosses i cant beat at all.

You're not alone there. I saw this impressive vid yesterday where someone beat all 5 remix bosses, back to back, WITHOUT TAKING A SINGLE HIT!!!

I had to see it to believe it, and can still hardly believe it. Check it out: [possible spoilers for whoever cares]

Edited by ShadowGandalf
  • Like 1

It's a roguelike, the castle always changes.. unless you use the architect.

The game is pretty hard, but keep leveling up and you'll be able to handle enemies a lot better.

if you want power, go with the hokage

if you want to survive, go with the barbarian (I mostly used this class)

Paladin is pretty good as well

also, try to get some good armour and equip some runes.

I just downloaded and tried it out after reading this thread.

Took me 19 deaths to get to and kill the first eyeball boss..

I'm level 25 and I have a bunch of equipment and double/triple jump.  I'm thinking about that 15 death trophy o.O

Should I quit while I'm ahead ? I don't seem at a good start already

Edited by Tomoko Kuroki

I've seen this game advertised as a "Rogue-like" RPG, but it's not really that.  It's one part platformer, one part Action RPG, and one part "bullet hell" dodge-o-matic.  It took me quite a while to adjust because I don't play much in the way of platformers and I don't play "bullet hell" games.

The re-mix bosses are absolutely insane.  There were large segments of time where said re-mix bosses were absolutely stomping my enjoyment of the game.... and as a result I'd frequently walk away from the game for several days at a time for the sake of my sanity.  If you're not an OCD completionist like me, don't torture yourself in that way.

Is there a way to do a new game +? Run through with the same character already leveled to make the under 15 deaths possible? If not I think I will skip this one even though I started it already.

That particular trophy doesn't work that way.  The "15 deaths" counter starts when you begin NG and does not reset for NG+.  Said trophy is heavily dependent on your learning the game and a little bit of luck with finding the right treasure chests (for runes and equipment) early and not getting clobbered with lousy kid choices.  Enemies scale with your level, so it's not quite as excruciating as it first sounds.... but it's hardly "easy", either.

If you know what you're doing, you can also use a USB to cheese the process a little bit, but it's not as completely useful as you'd think it would be.

You're not alone there. I saw this impressive vid yesterday where someone beat all 5 remix bosses, back to back, WITHOUT TAKING A SINGLE HIT!!!

I had to see it to believe it, and can still hardly believe it. Check it out: [possible spoilers for whoever cares]

Wow that is extremely impressive dood. I can't even beat one of them let alone beating them without getting hit 

I've beaten the first two bosses, the mansion and the forest boss (not the remix versions) and for the life of me I can't beat Ponce de Lion.  IN general, the Maya is tough for me.  I'm currently level 113 and the enemies in the Maya are typically in the 30's.  This big of a level gap should make it easy for me, but no.  Any tips for beating the Maya boss and subsequently the remaining two bosses?

Edit:  I beat Ponce de Lion, but am still getting overwhelmed by enemies in the Maya and the last world (forgot name, looks like hell)

You can also make enemies (and regular bosses) easier by equipping grace runes (effect stacks). This way you have less maneuver by giving up dashes/jumps but enemies hit less since they are lower lvl and lower "class". 

For Thanatophobia trophy there is gold glitch, which explained in other thread here. It will make thanatophobia run easier, but still can't call it easy. I had to start 5+ times before I managed to do it.

Remix bosses were horrible, fourth boss (asteroid one) was only one which could be called easy. 3 others were main reason why game took me 2 months to plat, had to take breaks from constant dying on remix bosses. 

Unless you can overlevel bosses ( I dont know if enemies scale with you, then this would be pointless )

I don't see how 15 death trophy is possible, first time I fought alexander I had only a choice of 3 miners, and they were taking 3 shots to kill the skulls, eventually there were 50ish skulls on the screen, so my death was inevitable

Edited by Tomoko Kuroki

I don't know what you guys are talking about, this game is awesome, I say just play for fun the first time like I did, ended the game after 94 children because i was just exploring and getting the hang of it, after you do get the hang of it it's not really that hard, the only thing you might have trouble with is the remix'd Alexander and the 15 deaths run. But if you beat the remix bosses you can beat the game with 15 characters.

If Smite can do a 0 damage run on the Remix bosses, then you can beat them. Shinobi is the best class to beat the bosses, he does incredible damage, if you can't dodge that well use a Barbarian, takes longer but at least you can take a lot of damage, also don't rely on upgrades, instead buy better armor and swords and runes, enemies will level up if you get upgrades but not if you get better armor and runes, good luck everyone!

• Like 3

I've just beaten the third boss at level 55 and i actually think the game handled its difficulty pretty well. Core gameplay is indeed hard as hell, but there's enough options to make it easier, like grinding gold, using the architect or some of the runes.

My only issue would be that the game likes to screw you over when it comes to choosing a successor. I've had runs where it'd only give me the choice between three mages, my least favorite class, or three characters with really stupid traits.

I know it's kind of the point of the game, but i'd often find myself suiciding to get a better character, which really hindered the flow of gameplay.

I don't know what you guys are talking about, this game is awesome, I say just play for fun the first time like I did, ended the game after 94 children because i was just exploring and getting the hang of it, after you do get the hang of it it's not really that hard, the only thing you might have trouble with is the remix'd Alexander and the 15 deaths run. But if you beat the remix bosses you can beat the game with 15 characters.

If Smite can do a 0 damage run on the Remix bosses, then you can beat them. Shinobi is the best class to beat the bosses, he does incredible damage, if you can't dodge that well use a Barbarian, takes longer but at least you can take a lot of damage, also don't rely on upgrades, instead buy better armor and swords and runes, enemies will level up if you get upgrades but not if you get better armor and runes, good luck everyone!

This. Ive just finished the game for the first time, at lvl 120 or so, and died 69 times. Ive already beaten three remixed bosses, and after em, I find the regular bosses and rooms a lot easier. Its just getting used to the game and how it works. That and making backups saves before bosses and after defeating them, and you can easily get the 15 deaths trophy. 

I can run around castle, forest and maya and never get hit once. But still, the 15 death run doesnt seem to make any sense.

You have to die to level up, so even if I clear everything, eventually theres just nothing to do, so I kill myself and level up a bit. Deaths are inevitable simply for this reason

Yeah, and when youre around your 12th character, you should be able to beat the game already... At least thats what I guess, Ill let you know when going for this trophy.

Yeah, and when youre around your 12th character, you should be able to beat the game already... At least thats what I guess, Ill let you know when going for this trophy.

Sounds good, everyone seems to say unrealistic things like farming 200k gold in 2 hours.

I look forward to hearing about your 15 death run. And good luck

Sounds good, everyone seems to say unrealistic things like farming 200k gold in 2 hours.

I look forward to hearing about your 15 death run. And good luck

The thing is, Ive already beaten Alexander the fourth, Ponce de Freon and Neo Khidr. To beat those remix bosses gives you so much training, that after that, simple bosses are reaaally so much easier. 

If you add backupping saves, well, its doable. Ill let you know when I get the trophy, if you want.